Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whew! Puppy potty training sure is hard when it is 11-22 degrees outside. He does his business half of the time but it is so cold he gets in a big hurry to get back inside. I know we are making progress but sometimes it can get frustrating that after 5-10 minutes of going out he tends to go again in the house. I'm sure you all know what I mean?

He is only 10 weeks old and had no training while at the breeder. We have only had him for a week and I can see some major improvement.

Am I in the right thinking that once it gets warmer this will become a bit easier?

BTW, Bubba is gonna be a monster. :D

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Exactly why I decided to put off another new additon until the spring time. I didn't want the winter conditions to get in the way of house breaking. We got Bear in the Spring/Summer time and it was the perfect time to house break. I was also afraid the extreme cold weather could possibly cause health issues in such a young pup.

Good luck with it and welcome.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I had this problem, and the only solution is to move somewhere warm. :wink: Just kidding, I wish I could...

Just keep doing what you're doing... he's going to catch on, it'll just take a little longer. I don't know if a doggy sweater or booties would help his tolerance of the cold any... sounds stupid, but I know it has worked for some people. I just kept working on it, and it took longer to potty train, but eventually they will get it. I just have to replace my carpet now. :)

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
I just have to replace my carpet now. :)
LOL! my carpet has nearly all gone! Just waiting for the cat to stop peeing at the top of stairs and I'll recarpet......I think he marks his territory there in the hope it will stop Roxy chasing him up there.

But winter pups are hard to house train...plus you have only had him a week. I had to keep Roxy on the leash, so she wouldn't run back indoors...plus she used to pretend to go! and she still does it, she'll squat for a few sec then come running back to me for her treat..... :roll:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I was puppy training at -34c so believe me its hard it will get easier every day it will click in one day for the pup. but its hard puppy training period weather not helping
Best of Luck Stay Patient :D

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
They will catch on

They will catch on hes only been with you a week give it time. Mine broke fairly easy but I had a dribbler up till a couple of weeks ago he would hold it till he couldn't anymore them dribble to the door but even that has stopped now. It is usually 12 to 14 weeks before they have control over their bladder function too some take a little longer. But they will come around.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I'm not sure if you've already tryed this or not. But what we did with Abby to teach her house training in one week was leave her in the crate and only take her out of the crate to go outside and relieve herself and when she comes inside treat and go back in crate. Same thing every 3 hours, yes lol, it was a lot of work but it worked and she only had accidents once in awhile. Maybe that could work for Bubba? :?:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts