Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a 10 week old bulldog named Hank. We picked him up a week ago and we are having serious crate problems. When he is out of the crate and with us in the house, we take him out at least once an hour. When he is in his crate it isn't for more than 3 hours without a break and he still goes pee & poop in the crate. He has no problem laying in it. We have the crate divided off so he can only lay down and turn around, so I know it isn't becuase he has too much room in the crate. Please help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
do you take him out immediately before you place him in his crate? If so.... take away food and water about an hour or two hours before he goes in his crate so when you do take him out before crate time there will be nothing left in him after he goes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Kate, Tahnks for the reply. I do take him out before he goes in the crate and alwyas makes sure he does go at least pee, if not both. This is usually around 9:30pm, and the water and food are picked up at 7pm. I don't know where all this waste comes from in such a little pup. I'm not changing his food or anything. Any other thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Where did you get the dog? The reason I ask is that crate training only works if the dog has a natural inhibition against soiling his bed. This inhibition can be destroyed if the dog was kenneled in such a way that he soiled where he stood (and for example, the tray beneath the cage is removed to be cleaned). This happens often with petstore dogs and with some breeders.

Do you know the circumstances under which he was whelped?

Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We bought him through, what I believed was a reputable breeder out of PA. Apparently the pup ws born in Russia and flown over and we bought him through the importer/breeded based out of PA. Everything else with the pup checks out - health and all. It is just htis hiccup which is very challenging. I do not know how he was whelped, and to your point, could be the culprit. Anyway to break this? Or any ideas on an alternative training method. I've never had this problem with our other dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,279 Posts
10 weeks is young
When Buster was that small I was letting him out every half hour.3 hours is a long time for a pup that young to hold it
Also is the crate to big? If he has room to get away from his accidents then it is to big.
With puppies they need to be let out often: First thing in the am, after drinking, eating ,playing, sleeping, before going in and out of crate , winking ( J/K but you get my point ) When you let him out to potty make sure you make a big fuss that he is going outside.Give him treats and tell him and show him how happy you are with him.With Buster I would use " outside" as his word for potty so I would say "outside" then take him right out wait for him to go potty then give him a treat and tell him what good boy he was in a high happy screachy voice so he could tell I was thrilled with what he just did, over time I say outside and he knows it is potty time and runs to the door. I think you are expecting a lil to much from a 10 week old puppy :wink: :D You need to get into a pattern and once you do that you will find he is doing it less and less
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Hank's Mom said:
We bought him through, what I believed was a reputable breeder out of PA. Apparently the pup ws born in Russia and flown over and we bought him through the importer/breeded based out of PA. Everything else with the pup checks out - health and all. It is just htis hiccup which is very challenging. I do not know how he was whelped, and to your point, could be the culprit. Anyway to break this? Or any ideas on an alternative training method. I've never had this problem with our other dogs.
Well since we don't know that inhibition wasn't broken it doesn't contribute much to the issue. If the inhibition is broken then I would try another technique like litter pans or puppy doors to the outside.

1. Teach him to potty on command - take him out when you know he'll need to go; after sleeping, after a meal, after play, associate a potty word to the inevitable action and create a conditioned response.

2. Is it anxiety? If it is, only time will fix that.

3. Try not to get mad when he does potty in the crate - it tends to make matters worse.

4. Use a good odor neutralizer in the crate not just cleaning solution.

That's all I got.
Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortuneatly the little rascal is being let out nearly every hour as well. He is constnatly being taken outside, we are reinforcing him with treats and "Good Boy" responses to goign outside, but he just can't get the crate thing down. Honestly, I don't know how he can go to the bathroom this much. THe crate is big enough for him to barely turn around and he is laying in his "waste" without a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Hank's Mom said:
Unfortuneatly the little rascal is being let out nearly every hour as well. He is constnatly being taken outside, we are reinforcing him with treats and "Good Boy" responses to goign outside, but he just can't get the crate thing down. Honestly, I don't know how he can go to the bathroom this much. THe crate is big enough for him to barely turn around and he is laying in his "waste" without a problem.
The laying in the waste with no problem really makes me wonder whether that inhibition was indeed broken.

Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,187 Posts
Do you free feed the puppy?

Feed at regular times, so you can predict his regular poops.

Control the food, control the poo! ( I think that's what Yoda said)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We do feed at regular times (3 times a day - 1/3 of a cup each time), but we are currently always leaving water out for him. We take him out a very regualr schedule to go to the bathroom - always after sleeping, napping, playing and eating (and of course if he is sniffing or scratching about on the floor). I spoke with the breeder and he thinks it is the free reign at the water dish - that he is gourging himself. Has anyone had this problem??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Hank's Mom said:
We do feed at regular times (3 times a day - 1/3 of a cup each time), but we are currently always leaving water out for him. We take him out a very regualr schedule to go to the bathroom - always after sleeping, napping, playing and eating (and of course if he is sniffing or scratching about on the floor). I spoke with the breeder and he thinks it is the free reign at the water dish - that he is gourging himself. Has anyone had this problem??
I hesitate to restrict water from an animal - water is necessary for good health. I think it may simply be that the dog is too young to hold it and lacks any tone to the bladder and bowel yet. Restricting water to stop peeing has other biological implications right?

Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,279 Posts
Has he been to a vet recently to be checked out? Maybe there is something more going on then you realize.At ten weeks they can pick up anything that would cause that behavior
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Am I the only one that read that the pup is only 10 weeks old and they have only had him for a week. The dog is young and it is gonna take more than a week to train the pup. Just keep it up he will get it soon enough. You could try catching him in the act of going in the crate and correct him so he knows that it is not ok. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Jemhidiahssj4 said:
Am I the only one that read that the pup is only 10 weeks old and they have only had him for a week. The dog is young and it is gonna take more than a week to train the pup. Just keep it up he will get it soon enough. You could try catching him in the act of going in the crate and correct him so he knows that it is not ok. Good luck
Sorry, don't correct the dog for inappropriate wee/poo. It's about timing. If you catch him in the act scoop him up and take him where you want him to finish. The startle of you swooping him up should stop him in midstream as it were.

Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
thats what I mean by correcting! take him out of the crate and take him outside where you want him to eliminate. I always use go potty for my dogs they go on command.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Jemhidiahssj4 said:
thats what I mean by correcting! take him out of the crate and take him outside where you want him to eliminate. I always use go potty for my dogs they go on command.
Thanks for clarifying that. When you used the world 'correct' I had images of scolding and noses in poop.

Sorry for the assumption.
Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,279 Posts
Jemhidiahssj4 said:
Am I the only one that read that the pup is only 10 weeks old and they have only had him for a week. The dog is young and it is gonna take more than a week to train the pup. Just keep it up he will get it soon enough. You could try catching him in the act of going in the crate and correct him so he knows that it is not ok. Good luck
NO you are not the only one who noticed this if you read my post way above you will see that :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have been limiting Hanks's water - 3/4 twice a day and some after his walk at night. This seems to be helping. But as we try and increase his food as he grows the bowel movements in the crates are increasing. He has been doing pretty well when he is out of his crate, but its the crate things he seems to be struggling with.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top