Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’m a newbie on this board and I’m excited to introduce myself. I’ve learned a great deal about the bull breed in the past two days and trilled to learn that the breed is a great family pet if in a good household. You all have great stories about your pet and this got me real interested in a short period of time. I will be honest, I was not even slightly interested in a Pit Bull last week, but after reading and my experience today, I learned this breed is a great pet in the right upbringing.

We lost our Dalmatian of 13 years last fall and needed some time. Last week my wife was on the web looking at dogs from a shelter. We know this shelter well as we donated all of our dog stuff to them when Buster died.

We went to see Pumpkin (2 yr/45 lbs) today. I was sitting in the waiting room with my family and Pumpkin ran over to me and rolled on her belly for a belly rub. She let me do this for a couple of minutes while we talked to the shelter staff. As soon as I stopped, she came right to my face and gave me kisses. She ran around sniffing my children and wife and dropped to the floor often for a belly rub.

We tested aggression by giving her some dog treats and put our hand near the floor where she was eating them. No growl, no nudge as to say “get out of my space” and this was comforting. We pulled on her tail and no growl and snapping at us. We put our hands on her head and put our faces right up to hers and all we got were kisses. I was in total awe as my Dalmatian had issues with some of these things I just described.

We took her for a walk and she needs some leash training. She also needs to work on jumping. She tends to jump up but nothing that can’t be corrected with a little discipline.

Her past has been with two families. The first 18 months was in a home with several other animals. I don’t know all the details but there were other dogs, cats and horses. The last owner only had her couple of months. I guess her other dog was getting jealous and was acting up. She was also evaluated by a professional behaviorist and passed the test.

I can’t see any reason to say no at this point. She almost house broken and out of the puppy stage. :D

Here’s a link to the shelter where picking her up from. http://www.dogorphans.com/index.cfm?thescreen=dogkennel

Here’s her pic. She’s really brown with black weaved into her brown. She’s got great color! I’ll have lots more questions soon as we may be able to pick her up later next week! Have a great weekend,

Steve (Go PATRIOTS)!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Welcome! I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your Dalmation. I hope everything goes well with your new baby! It's nice to have you here, and I look forward to seeing more pictures!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Whatever you do, dont mention that you hit your dog while training....

Very nice color patterns she has, perfect around face with white paws... is something wrong with her leg? Looks bent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cmoazz said:
Whatever you do, dont mention that you hit your dog while training....

Very nice color patterns she has, perfect around face with white paws... is something wrong with her leg? Looks bent.
Cmoazz,

Only postive reinforcement with training. Like children, dogs respond and learn the good bahavior when praised.

This pic wasn't taken by me so i think she was moving or something. When we saw her on Saturday, there's no bent leg, just a very excited girl.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

I love her dark brindle coloring! And those ears!

Be sure to enforce NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) training. You can google it and find lots of great info. It is important to show her that she is low man on the totem pole right from the start, as she is a bully. Bullies LOVE to push boundries! Give them an inch and they'll take a yard :D This will also help with teaching her some manners on leash and with the jumping.

Yeah for the positive reinforcment! Love shouldn't hurt right?

Good luck, and remember, we love pictures!

~Sara

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven’t seen so much excitement in my children in a long time. \:D/ They were more excited about Pumpkin than the IPOD’s they got for Christmas.

When we returned home after seeing Pumpkin on Saturday, my two children (10yrs and 7yrs) downloaded and printed Pumpkin’s picture and put it in a little frame and put it on her their night stands. We tried to see her again on Sunday, but the Dog Shelter had closed before we got there. Bummer for them as they were so excited to see her again. To hold them (two overly excited children) over, we went sledding to burn off some energy and then came inside and browsed through several threads and were laughing and smiling at all the great photos and great stories.

If all goes well, we’ll have her in her new home on Friday afternoon. After a tour of the house and property, she’s going to get a doggy bath and manicure so she can be buff for the pictures! :wink:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Welcome

First I want to say welcome to the board, The I wanted to tell you your story sounded much like mine , We lost our rotty in Sept of 2005 we were devastated he was such a big part of this family. I had no intentions of getting another dog let alone a pit bully breed of any kind then a friend of ours at the shelter came to use to tell us about a littler of them that were coming to the shelter.
He wanted us to come and see them. We did and that was it not only did we adopt one but we took both the brother together we call them the twin terrors. My husband said he would never get attached to another dog after the loss. BUT you guessed it, He would kill for these pups and it was the best move I ever made. we have had them since october and they are the most loving , gentle , loyal pups I have ever seen not only that but they train so easy they are smart and if you love them and use positive training they will do just about anything you ask of them. I will never own anyother breed but these now. You won't regret it.
Good Luck with yours and they are adorable. Mine are brindle too but not the dark kind.
This is also a wonderful board too they are a lot of help. I learned a lot here on the breed.

I am from MA too

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Thats so awesome!! She is adorable and I love how loving she was with you right off of the bat!! I hope everything works perfect for you guys, sounds like you deserve it!

oh and yea.... GO PATRIOTS!!! (even tho they lost I'm still cheering for them!)

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
That's so awesome your rescuing! Please post plenty of pics and stories on here too. Oh and glad to see another member from MA on here. If your dog is friendly with other dogs, maybe we could have Abby and your pup play together. Also Halo, that would be a lot of fun if you could come too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts