Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i just posted this on non-doggy discussion, but realized it had to do with doggy discussion!

since we will be having a baby spring 07, we are very nervous about how Sally will react. she gets aggressive because is afraid of children and have alrady agreed that if she does 1 thing wrong, we have to give her away, but we would only give her to someone we know and that could take care of her.
what i need is advice on how to get her used to a baby.

We are so not worried about Otto in the slightest since his favorite things are either sleeping or just sitting there staring into space!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
It takes some time for the dog to get used to youngens being around, so BE PATIENT. If the baby's going to be close to or on the floor, keep the jealous dog away/in kennel/yard/etc... They'll eventually get used to each other, but they'll do it on their time, not yours. Just be patient, be smart, and don't try to force anything. There should be no reason for you to get rid of Sally. She'll eventually realize that she has a new member of the family and will except your baby as such, just let her do it on her own... you cannot do it for her!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!

i basically got called a bad owner/mommy from some dude because i probably should have explained a little better....

good to know some people wouldnt just give a dog up without trying first!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Congrats to you!!!!

Before you leave the hospital have hubby bring home
a blanket that the baby was wrapped up in and have him let the dog sniff
it and get use to the sent.When you come home from the hospital let your pup
sniff and see the baby and praise how well behaved the pup is doing.
When the baby cries it will startle the pup as this is something new so expect him / her
to go over and investigate.Make sure you still spend time with the dogs and all should be good.
I went through this 3 times........lol and all went great. Oh and I wouldnt leave the dogs and baby
alone together unless or untill you fully trust them around the baby.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Not a bulldog.. but our Giant Schnauzer is VERY overzealous when it comes to.... well.. ANYTHING! She will scramble in the door from outside, she will scramble outside from in, she will scramble from the living room to the kitchen... you get the idea... and our toddler would be right in the middle of it, getting knocked around. I had always flexed my Alpha muscle, so to speak, and made her wait for me to go in and out of doors before her, made sure I handled her food, put my hands in the kibble to 'scent' it, ect ect. When I added the little one to this equation, took him outside/inside before her, held him on my lap while she sat at our feet and performed basic obedience commands, she became more submissive around him. She still scrambles around the house, but when she gets close to the toddler, for the most part, she slows down, keeps an eye on him, and will even 'low crawl' to him for his attention. Giants are VERY stubborn and head strong, I would have to say, her stubbornness and independence rivals most bully dogs. She doesn't have any aggression issues, but she certianly wants to herd everyone, and has been known to nip at the backs of our legs and feet to 'move us along.'

Just as in any behavior, good or bad, make sure you realize when/if you are rewarding that behavior. For example... dog growls at the baby, parents get all upset, yell at the dog, the dog sees the excitement, and gets excited herself, so thinks that it was a good thing, which in turn, perpetuates the situation. Likewise, no coddleing, saying.. it's ok, its just a baby ect in a soft pleasant voice, thinking you are soothing the dog to ease her anxiety, but you are actually rewarding the behavior.

Also be aware of the time line of dog growling, to punishment. In smart breeds, they may associate the baby with punishment and again, this can perpetuate the problem. You could try... hear the growl, see the intensity of interest or whatever... and firmly say the dogs name, and issue a basic command. Down, Sit, Look at me, Leave it ect, turn it into a mini training session, then kennel the dog. Have something in the dogs mind between her growling or focusing on the baby, and being kenneled or put outside.

Oh.. never never leave a dog unatended with childrent, no matter how well behaved the dog or child is. Did you hear about the golden retriever that killed the 6 year old girl? The dog drug the girl around by a scarf around her neck and strangled her to death. Accidents do happen.

And a HUGE CONGRATS on the new baby!!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Congrats on the up coming arrival. When my daughter had Jayla I took home a dirty diaper and a blanket that she was wrapped in. I put these things down on her bed (a paper bag underneather the diaper) so her cat could get use to the smell. My daughters cat was and still is her baby too. We let Moose and the other dogs smell the baby and hear her cry and so far everything is going well except Moose insist to lick her all the time. He even gave her a littler mohawk LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts