Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are only a couple, maybe one, hog hunters on here but thought I'd ask anyways. I am very interested in going on a hog hunt sometime in the near future. I would like to know what to look for in a knife that would be good on a hog. Blade length, shape, width, etc. I'd like to go ahead and get one now because I'm a knife nut anyways. Thanks

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Cracker. What do you think the minimum blade length for taking a nice sized hog? The last one you posted was only 3.7 inches. Is that enough?

·
Registered
626 Posts
if you plan on sticking a hog wile its caught by dogs 2 ways/1 a real big knife through the side just behind the elbow,same as where you would shoot a deer and/2 with hog caught by dogs you leg the hog and toss him onto his side and stick him with the smaller knife through the collerbone area down twards the heart or slice his throat.this would take some practice and some nerves of steel.be carefull and make dang sure the dogs are 4-real caught on hard..just a side note-when experianced hunters see someone with a 3 foot long knife we know they are a newbi...lol..rs

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha ha, I think 3 feet is a bit of over kill. I was thinking about an 8 inch blade would be sufficient. When I go, I'll be going with people who have been hog hunting for decades and will be using very experienced dogs.

If the dogs are going into the fight and are risking themselves, I think it only fair that I go into it too. I wouldnt want to just stand back and shoot the hog. Of course I'll bring a pistol for back up though. You never know what can happen. I've seen some insane videos.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I've had a Buck Knife just like that mposted above (w/out the engraving on the blade) since I was 16. Good knife.

·
Registered
626 Posts
kogeki said:
Ha ha, I think 3 feet is a bit of over kill. I was thinking about an 8 inch blade would be sufficient. When I go, I'll be going with people who have been hog hunting for decades and will be using very experienced dogs.

If the dogs are going into the fight and are risking themselves, I think it only fair that I go into it too. I wouldnt want to just stand back and shoot the hog. Of course I'll bring a pistol for back up though. You never know what can happen. I've seen some insane videos.
that will work.good luck and i'll be waiting on some pics...rs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts