Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gordy just started trying to get into the trash can. I dont think its cuz of the stuff in there. He just hits it till if falls over then he starts playing with the trash can. How can i get him to stop? When i say no he just waits till i walk away then attacks it again. help me

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Is there any place you can put your trash can where he won't get into it? Even just up against a corner of the room so he can't knock it over as easily? Our trash can is in our utility room.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Our trashcan has stuff on 3 sides of it, so Haus can't knock it over. :lol: I'm sorry, but I just have to smile at the thought of Gordy playing with your trashcan :lol: Maybe put a brick in the bottom, under the bag so he'll have a harder time knocking it over?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i just tryed putting it in a corner. :cry: that means it didnt work. lol ill try some more stuff and let you know. I have a tape of Gordy playing with another smaller trash can . ill post it for you guys so you can see what i mean. lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
OMG? Dont you people hit your dog? lol.... sorry. Anyway, catch him in the act, shove the trash can in his face and say "NO!" and hit him REALLLLY hard, he wont do it again.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
a lot of us here fully believe in positive training versus making the dog scared of us...

but this can get into some huge debate and what not and either side has their own story and then it will turn into getting compared to children.... sooooo just to end it now...

Thats where the advice that was given comes from.... positive reenforcement and not punishment

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh sorry... im new... anyhow I just thought it was silly to acustom your self around the dog. You shouldnt have to move the trashcan where he cant get it if hes messing with it. I taught Boomer, when he was young that the word "No" means pain. So if hes doing something like.... getting on the counter, I rub the counter and say Noooooo and he knows not to do that. I dont want people to think im abusing him :D.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh forgot.... hitting him isnt going to make him scared of you... Boomer loves everyone, hes a pure sweetheart.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
no need to be sorry. you have your way of training your dog and everyone has their own ways too.

And I understand that the dog needs to learn to live around you not you live around the dog. And that is where the no comes into play like you use. But sometimes if the problem can be eliminated without a hassle on anyones part then that should be the way to go. If it's a big problem like biting or nipping or something, then something else needs to be done.

In this situation I think that gordy just needs to be able to forget about the trash can alltogether... not thinking of any soluations for that, but that would be able to stop him from doing that.

·
Registered
807 Posts
NO but hitting them in time will teach them to be scared of the hand. If a dog is scared of the hand then a fear bite is certain to happen. Well if its the neighbors or some kid than you have a problem on your hands along with possibly loosing your dog.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Cmoazz said:
Oh forgot.... hitting him isnt going to make him scared of you... Boomer loves everyone, hes a pure sweetheart.
Just one thing with this.... I'm not saying you "lucked out" that your dog obeys you after a few smacks without becoming aggressive. but there is the potential for hitting to allow the dog to become scared and timid. So if there is another way to allow for punishment and correction without having this be a potential outcome then I believe that it should be used. And if by your ways of training, you don't have to smack your dog anymore and just the word no does it, then that's good. as long as the hitting does not continue throughout the whole life (which I don't think this is what your saying is happening)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yea ofcourse, you teach him young the consequences of "no" with a hard hit. Then everytime you say "no" he knows thats not the right thing to do. I guess im lucky? he came out okay. I never beat him with a bat, I dont know why some dogs would become aggresive over a hit. But yea, theres no hitting involved anymore. If he acts up you just say no and give him your "Im mad at you face" and he knows :D

·
Registered
720 Posts
RED said:
NO but hitting them in time will teach them to be scared of the hand. If a dog is scared of the hand then a fear bite is certain to happen. Well if its the neighbors or some kid than you have a problem on your hands along with possibly loosing your dog.
100% agree very well said! A fear biter is the worst dog you can own because they are so unpredictable!

·
Registered
720 Posts
In responce to your problem what he has done is found a new toy and he wants to play, so take his interest from the trashcan and give him something else to play with perhaps take a rag everytime you are in the kitchen and play some tug of war...always let him win it will keep him interested in playing again!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Cmoazz said:
Yea ofcourse, you teach him young the consequences of "no" with a hard hit. Then everytime you say "no" he knows thats not the right thing to do. I guess im lucky? he came out okay. I never beat him with a bat, I dont know why some dogs would become aggresive over a hit. But yea, theres no hitting involved anymore. If he acts up you just say no and give him your "Im mad at you face" and he knows :D
That's disgusting. You abused your dog, and now you expect him to obey you out of fear. Just disgusting.

·
Registered
720 Posts
bella_blue said:
That's disgusting. You abused your dog, and now you expect him to obey you out of fear. Just disgusting.
I dont feel that he needs to be blazed on here and make him mad or feel bad enought to leave the forum! What he needs is to be educated on proper dog training technics (THE DO'S AND DONT'S) if ya will!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
ambull040769 said:
bella_blue said:
I dont feel that he needs to be blazed on here and make him mad or feel bad enought to leave the forum! What he needs is to be educated on proper dog training technics (THE DO'S AND DONT'S) if ya will!
If he doesn't know that hitting a dog is wrong, he's beyond help, in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Ok guys, let's remember what the original post was about. It's about how to keep Gordy away from the trash can. This thread isn't to debate the right or wrongs of hitting a dog. Please respect the OP.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts