Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I got a English bulldog about 8 months ago, he turns 1 year old in 3 days. I have read up alot on english bulldogs, but I still have a few questions that I would like to get answered.

A while back my EB had problems with throwing up, he would do it 3-4 times a day, i took him to the vet and they came up with pancreitis. They werent sure and they treated him with medication of 2 types of pills. I couldent give him water or dry food for weeks, only ice cubes and special wet food. Well it has been about 2 months since then, and he is now on nutro-max beef and rice. He seems happy with it, But every now and then, he will get into this sort of dry heaving thing, his back will arch and he will almost gag/dryheave for about 10 seconds, then this foamy/watery stuff comes up. It was almost like he was purging himself. just wondering what your thoughts on that were.

Also I give my EB baths weekly, but lately I have noticed a sour smell coming from his face, I clean the wrinkles daily, But the smell wont go away, I also noticed he was getting (eye boogers) not sure of technical term for those rofl. I thought maybe it was from being in the air conditioning, since we just turned it on. Maybe it was giving him a cold? the mucus builds up on his eye in the mornings, and when he naps during the day, its not alot of it, but I thought maybe that would cause the sour smell. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Sounds like your pup could have a yeast infection in his face folds. Your vet will be able to give you something to clear that up.

How many times a day do you feed him? If he is throwing up in the morning, it could be sour stomach, which is common in EB's. Try giving him some dog cookies or a piece of bread before he goes to bed at night.

The vomiting/dry heaving could also be that he is getting over heated.

Good luck with you pup, post pictures if you can! I'de love to see him!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Tinkerbell said:
How many times a day do you feed him? If he is throwing up in the morning, it could be sour stomach, which is common in EB's. Try giving him some dog cookies or a piece of bread before he goes to bed at night.
My Bogart was also doing this-usually around 3-4am. I started giving him a small late night meal as suggested by a friend (and also suggested by Tinkerbell) and it stopped.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Is the smell just on his face or is it the whole body. A while ago I had posted the same question. My dog smelled like a sour wash cloth. Somebody suggested swithching his foods. It worked!!! Hopefully it is as easy with yours. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The smell is just coming from his face/breath. He eats around 7-8 am and around 7-9pm. About a bowl full each serving and drinks water throughout the day. I doubt the problem is overheating, he is in the air conditioning all day besides when taken to go bathroom and maybe a hour or 2 later in the day when he is outside playing. Here are some pics of him, the first one is when I got him, and the rest are fairly recent, ill take some more tonight and post them for you guys/gals :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts