Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately when i feed Angel (6 month ABT), if i get to near her when shes eating she has been growling and knarling her lip at me. Any advise on how to deal with her?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Start feeding her by hand and if she starts growling, stop feeding her. She needs to learn to respect you and learn that the food comes from you.

Also, take her on walks before she eats and do OB work for her to earn her food. Make her sit and wait until you say it is okay for her to eat

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kate said:
Start feeding her by hand and if she starts growling, stop feeding her. She needs to learn to respect you and learn that the food comes from you.

Also, take her on walks before she eats and do OB work for her to earn her food. Make her sit and wait until you say it is okay for her to eat

If i feed her by hand its fine, its just when its in her dish. And she doesn't eat untill i give her the command, but she still growls. Walking before meals is a good idea though, make her earn the meal. i think i'll give that a try.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Crackavasion said:
Kate said:

If i feed her by hand its fine, its just when its in her dish. And she doesn't eat untill i give her the command, but she still growls. Walking before meals is a good idea though, make her earn the meal. i think i'll give that a try.
Make her sit quietly while you feed her BY HAND. DO NOT feed her her in her own bowl until she has QUIT doing this. This is imperative.
IF she growls at all, quit feeding her. Do not give her a bowl if it takes the rest of her life to quit this resource guarding.
This isn't QUITE how I'd do it but it might work:
http://dogs.about.com/cs/behaviorissues/p/resource_guard.htm

Another site:
http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/RG.html

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_ResourceGuarding.html

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
She is food aggressive which means she thinks she is the alpha, she is correcting you for bad behavior, I am not a professional and others will have other advice I am interested to hear as well....!!!!!!!!!!!If you think it is safe!!!!! Take away all food privillges and feed her from your hands, if not, I would hold her food bowl then place it on the floor while making her do a sit until you say it is okay to eat, in other words make her work for it....I make my dog do a sit/stay until I say okay, then she can eat, I do it with treats as well. I hold the treat in front of nose and make a loud noise if she tries to take it w/o my que. She has learned that no matter what it is I say when she can have it. Start the Nothing in life is free program with her and take back your place in the pack. Alpha!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
angie7349 said:
I make my dog do a sit/stay until I say okay, then she can eat, I do it with treats as well. I hold the treat in front of nose and make a loud noise if she tries to take it w/o my que. She has learned that no matter what it is I say when she can have it. Start the Nothing in life is free program with her and take back your place in the pack. Alpha!!!!

Shes good with staying untill i tell her to eat its just after she starts eating when the problems arise

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Leash her to a pole of somesort while she eats, if she growls at you find a broom stick or something to drag the bowl away. She will learn not to growl at you

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
angie7349 said:
Leash her to a pole of somesort while she eats, if she growls at you find a broom stick or something to drag the bowl away. She will learn not to growl at you
That will not work. Please read back through the articles and the other posts which suggest handfeeding her. Your "method" will only make her worse.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
angie7349 said:
She is food aggressive which means she thinks she is the alpha, she is correcting you for bad behavior, I am not a professional and others will have other advice I am interested to hear as well....!!!!!!!!!!!If you think it is safe!!!!! Take away all food privillges and feed her from your hands, if not, I would hold her food bowl then place it on the floor while making her do a sit until you say it is okay to eat, in other words make her work for it....I make my dog do a sit/stay until I say okay, then she can eat, I do it with treats as well. I hold the treat in front of nose and make a loud noise if she tries to take it w/o my que. She has learned that no matter what it is I say when she can have it. Start the Nothing in life is free program with her and take back your place in the pack. Alpha!!!!
Crackavasion Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:20 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

angie7349 wrote:
I make my dog do a sit/stay until I say okay, then she can eat, I do it with treats as well. I hold the treat in front of nose and make a loud noise if she tries to take it w/o my que. She has learned that no matter what it is I say when she can have it. Start the Nothing in life is free program with her and take back your place in the pack. Alpha!!!!

Shes good with staying untill i tell her to eat its just after she starts eating when the problems arise
msvette2u Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:56 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

angie7349 wrote:

That will not work. Please read back through the articles and the other posts which suggest handfeeding her. Your "method" will only make her worse.
I already suggested that to her but apparently this is a special case :banghead: Please read this post .....Call a trainer

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
angie7349 said:

She is not dangerous and i'm not even slightly concerned that she'll bite me, so useing a stick and leash is a little extreme

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Crackavasion said:
angie7349 said:

She is not dangerous and i'm not even slightly concerned that she'll bite me, so useing a stick and leash is a little extreme
That is fine that is all that I could think of but if she is growling at you she is warning you..The next step after a warning is action and with a dog that could be a bite..I dont think that your dog is vicious but I do think she is warning you...The purpose of the leash was only to keep her from biting you, and the stick was never intended to touch her, just the bowl. We are on the net a lot of things get lost in translation, but anyways...Good luck with her.....I am best at preventative medicine....Tora I started feeding from my hands, from time to time I will pet her while she eats just so she used to my hands...Tora has never growled at me while she is eating.....It sounds like there is some goof information in the links hopefully that will help you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts