Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
augrad said:
Grampa looks like such a sweet old guy. What did you call him before he became Grampa?
His real name is Taz but we call him oldtimer and gramps cause he is so old now and he has basically out lived all my other dogs and has raised all of them too. He is super around other dogs that we bring in he takes right to them and raises them , takes care of them and keeps them out of trouble and harms way you would think the old gut was a female if you didn't know better.

·
Registered
134 Posts
its wonderful that you have 3 males that all get along! and a chow at that! i'm not saying chow's are all aggressive or bad, because they're not, however it is common that chow chows have aggressive tendencies.

congrats, for having such beautiful boys and oldtimer!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
So cute! My mother in law has a chow chow and he is like 10 years old and he attacked their chichaua and pretty much ripped out his eyeball. They had to do emergency surgery and tried to save his eye but it didn't work. He still has his eye but it is all white and his eyelid pretty much is closed. But besides that, he has been fine. He is almost blind and almost deaf so they feel like Peanut probally spooked him and he reacted that way. My mother in law wanted to put him to sleep after that but my 16 year old sister in law really didn't want her to because this dog was the last big gift her dad got her before he died of cancer. So I really don't know what they are going to do. She nipped Bella (Tanners runt sister) on the head the other day. If he was my dog I would put him down. Since he is old and having problems. I don't like my daughter going out there because I don't want her to spook him and him attack her. He has always been a BIG baby and very sweet dog up until these 2 things. So I know it is his age and him just being confused.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BergstromsABs said:
its wonderful that you have 3 males that all get along! and a chow at that! i'm not saying chow's are all aggressive or bad, because they're not, however it is common that chow chows have aggressive tendencies.

congrats, for having such beautiful boys and oldtimer!
Chows are a very domante dog and can be very agressive. They really need to have a stable temperatment and they also like any pit need early socialzation
and need to know who the leader is. But If you raise them and work with them right you can have a great one . he gets along with everyone and all my pack dogs. But He can be very protective. I have seen him take out a dog that tried to hurt my son when he was little the dog stalked my son and was about to lunge for his throat (he was only 5 at the time) and Taz came out of nowhere and jumped in front of my son and took another chow out ripped his ear off his mouth off did a number on him and the whole time I tried to pull him off he would not let go and he would not bite me or let the other dog either. Come to find out the dog had to be put down it was very agressive and it wasn't the first time he tried to attack someone he had a mental condition. That was the only fight I have ever seen with him in and he still has no agression toward other dogs. still is friendly and loves them. But at that time my sons life was on the line and he took care of it.
He is an awesome dog and If he was not there my son would not have been here today. I thought he would be ruined but he is very stable tolerant dog unless there is a very real threat.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Gramps is so good keeping an eye on the twins.Chows are cute but i dont trust them.......LOL
I saw to many come into the vet and all were nasty lil boogers. :shock:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kelly said:
Gramps is so good keeping an eye on the twins.Chows are cute but i dont trust them.......LOL
I saw to many come into the vet and all were nasty lil boogers.

LOL just like a pit , you need to know what you got a lot of owners don't and that is where most of the problems lie I have had two so far with no problem I use to have a Blue one from Germany was a sweetie But he passed on at a rip old age too and then We got this one. and now almost 17 I don't know how long I have left with him either But he is still active and doing good so I have to just wait and see maybe he will make 20 LOL never know . But then that would be pushin it. But then he really likes to have pups and other dogs under his wing it give him a job and I think that is what keeps him going cause we almost lost him when we lost our rotty he was just shutting down till we brought the new pups home and then he was back to his old self again, So he really needs some one to look after for a job to keep him going.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Love seeing the old timer with the kids. We had a Pug that lived until 20 (said the vet) 21 I said but eitherway he was old, deaf and blind but very happy. Unfortionaly he got a mass on his jaw and the vey said it was cancer and to do surgery he would of llost his face so we put him down. Was a sad day but he had a long and happy life.
Hope Grandpa lives another 5 years and stays really happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts