Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, this isn't another "Banana" forum :p... although me starting a bunch of "fruity" posts is kinda weird eh?

Okay, enough with the puns...

I recently heard that if you give a dog a grape it's like giving it arsnic. The skin of the grape can't dijest in the system properly and it blocks there intestines?

My mom's best friend is a Cop and she worked with dogs for a while (She also was a show dog person).

Is that true? Is there any other kind of food that is dangerous to dogs?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Grapes and raisins in large amounts are indeed toxic to dogs. Vets aren't really sure why grapes and raisins are poisonous, but the fruit can cause kidney failure. My dogs have never had one grape. I'd rather play it safe than let them have one as a snack every once in a while.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
*Here's an article on grapes that I had posted on another forum**
Finally a woman "journalist" with sense.

The truth about grapes and pit bulls

By Jennifer Gardner

From time to time, readers send me their questions about pet care.

Although I am not a veterinarian or an animal behavior expert, I do answer those queries that don’t involve a major health or behavior issue. Please send your questions to me using the contact information at the bottom of this column. Although I will try, I cannot guarantee a personal response to every question, but look for answers to appear in future columns.

Question: I heard that grapes are poisonous to my dog. We have grapevines growing in our yard. I haven’t noticed that my dog is eating them, but would it be a good idea to pull them out?

Answer: It’s true that grapes and raisins can be poisonous to dogs. While your dog can probably tolerate a couple of grapes, especially if it’s a bigger dog, grape toxicity is nothing to take lightly. It causes gastrointestinal distress, with signs that include vomiting and diarrhea, but the big issue is that eating the grapes can lead to kidney failure.

If you suspect your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, don’t mess around. Go to a vet immediately. Depending on whether the dog is already showing symptoms, the vet may induce vomiting, pump the stomach and begin intravenous fluids.

It would be a good idea to supervise your dog closely around any grapevines. If you cannot do that or you’re just not sure, perhaps you could put fencing around the vines so there’s no chance of your dog eating them.

To learn all about how this toxicity was identified and more about its effects, visit www.aspca.org and look for the Animal Poison Control Center information.

Q: I heard that rawhide was not good for my dog. I have given him rawhide bones forever! They sell them at the pet store, and I watch him when he gets a new one. Do I need to stop giving him these?

A: Rawhide bones can cause problems if the dog can chew off pieces.

Those pieces can get lodged in the throat and cause choking. Also, when the bones get mushy, the dog can more easily ingest the rawhide.

There are safer things to give your dog for chewing. However, any dog that is a tremendously strong chewer can destroy many kinds of chew bones. You might want to look for a rubber Kong toy or something similar that is virtually indestructible, and watch your pet closely when he chews. Always remove a toy that has been chewed enough that pieces are coming off.

My personal dog is not a huge chewer, and does quite well with Nylabones. I don’t give him rawhide bones just because I don’t want to take a chance.

Q. My neighbor has a new pit bull. I’m terrified to go outside! How do I know if it will attack me or my children?

A. It’s good to be wary of strange dogs, but it’s also important to not be fearful for no reason. Has the dog been outside, off leash, without its owner? Has it been menacing and given you actual cause for fear? Or do you just think that pit bulls are supposed to be “bad“?

The truth is that most pit bulls are wonderful dogs. Responsible owners make sure their dogs are not off leash or in a position to cause harm. And, pit bulls are normally not human aggressive. Bred to be working dogs, and later to fight dogs and larger animals, pits had to be easy to work with.

It’s only been recently that pit bulls have gotten such a bad reputation. In the past, other breeds have been the ones to fear, and in the future a different breed yet will be getting all the attention.

I suggest that you talk to your neighbor and find out if you can meet the dog. You’ll be better able to see if your fears are warranted.

Also explain your concerns and ask that your neighbor not have the dog off leash unless it is in a fenced yard.

Finally, you may want to be careful about letting your dogs interact with the pit. Because of their genetic heritage as fighters, some very gentle pits can be aggressive toward other animals.

Jennifer Gardner is a freelance writer and editor and a board member at Heartland Humane Society in Corvallis. She enjoys writing about all animals but specializes in rabbits and other small pets. If you have questions or comments about this column or other pet issues, please e-mail Jennifer at [email protected] or write c/o The Corvallis Gazette-Times.
http://www.dhonline.com/articles/20...rden/home03.txt

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Common Foods That Are Harmful Or Even Fatal to Dogs
Many common foods are actually harmful or even fatal to dogs. Some of these (listed below) will surprise you. Others are things you would never give your dog purposefuly, but now you will be more careful to not let them be in your dog's reach. And some just need to be limited to small amounts.

Avocadoes (fruit, pit, and plant) are toxic to dogs. They can cause difficulty breathing; fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart; or pancreatitis.

Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia, weakness, and breathing difficulty. Even small amounts can cause cumulative damage over time. This includes onions or chives - raw, powdered, dehydrated, or cooked.

Large amounts of garlic cause the same problems as onions.

Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill him. If the dog doesn't eat enough at one time to be fatal, he can be severely damaged by eating just a few grapes or raisins regularly.

Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe. (All parts of the plant except the tomato itself are also poisonous to humans.)

Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death.

Caffeine (from coffee, coffee grounds, tea, or tea bags) stimulates the central nervous and cardiac systems, and can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations, and even death within hours.

Diet products containing the sweetener Xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. Unless treatment is given quickly, the dog could die.

Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. These symptoms are ususally temporary.

Walnuts are poisonous to dogs.

Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. But any chocolate, in large enough amounts, can kill a dog. An ounce of chocolate can poison a 30-pound dog, and many dogs will happily consume more than this. The symptoms may not show up for several hours (and so might make you think all is well), with death following within twenty-four hours. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.

Avocadoes (fruit, pit, and plant) are toxic to dogs. They can cause difficulty breathing; fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart; or pancreatitis.

Apple seeds, cherry pits, and peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, peaches, and apricot pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous.

Too much salt can cause kidney problems. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may then drink too much water and develop bloat, which is fatal unless emergency treatment is given very quickly

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
onions are bad too! There is another topic from a while ago about fruits and other foods that are bad for doggies, do a search and you should be able to find it

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Ok so let me ask the obvious then..

what does everyone else give for snack??

I tried bananas..but now im afraid to try anything else until i do more research..I mean he's already had two of those things on the list (tomatoes, grapes) but not because I gave them to him someone else did..

just curious

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Obelisk said:
Ok so let me ask the obvious then..

what does everyone else give for snack??

I tried bananas..but now im afraid to try anything else until i do more research..I mean he's already had two of those things on the list (tomatoes, grapes) but not because I gave them to him someone else did..

just curious
A friend of mind whose an AKC Judge and trainer told me to give Legend carrots. And Legend loves them! So I buy the baby carrots and give those to him as a snack and as well as when we practice OB. I also gave them to him cold when he was teething.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Woah, damn. My vet knows our dog eats avacado and said that was no problem...odd. He just mentioned we should be careful about how fat he gets (since it's a fatty thing).

Plus my dog sometimes has tomatos. Crap, I'll knock those out.

As for chocolate, my trainer said that it's really the dark chocolate that is deadly to dogs. But that you can give them milk chocolate in small doses (say an M&M for training). I'm still not going to try it, though.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
ya forgot mason loves carrots :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Obi adores grapes but I stopped giving him them when I kept finding the skins coming out in his plop, fully intact. Obviously he couldn't digest them but fortunately they did what they should and came out the other end :lol:

Obi likes cucumber and apple, they're his favourite healthy treats.

Fee x x

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Atticus ADORES carrots! I put them in his food dish, and he has to sneak them out one by one and take them to the living room. Oh, and cheese. LOVES sliced cheese.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Chopper is OBSESSED with apples. I core them and roll them around on the floor for him. He absolutely loves 'em.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Mason too is a cheese fanatic!! only way I can get him to take pils

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Do you guys notice your dog "attacking" some of their foods? Like the apples/carrots...things they can push around on the floor? Atticus will look at them, push at them, bark, growl, then eat. Very cute to watch.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Legend loves cheese too! If I make a sandwich he begs for a piece when he sees the container I put cheese in. lol. He even gets the occasional drool...Ewwwww...lol..And he likes apple pieces too!

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Atticus is as big as a pig as his dad. The minute I open the refrigerator door, he has his head shoved inside looking around.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Legend figured out how to open the fridge! So i know have to keep the kitchen baby gated! lol. I found out b/c i found him a couple of times with his head in the fridge helping himself to his snacks! lol

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
LegendsMami said:
Legend figured out how to open the fridge! So i know have to keep the kitchen baby gated! lol. I found out b/c i found him a couple of times with his head in the fridge helping himself to his snacks! lol

LOL! That's hilarious! You know, I didn't realize the STRENGTH of these guys until I found he had pushed the baby gate down, and had learned to open doors with his big ol' head.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts