Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two dogs... An american bulldog and a jack russell. My jack russell never kills grass where he pees, where as my american bulldog cant pee anywhere without killing the grass :shock: . I really dont understand it. It has never concerned me before, but I am closing on my first home in august, and I dont want my lawn to end up looking like a checker board. Ive seen some lawn repair sprays, but was wondering if there was an alternative method to following him around with a spray bottle? Is there possibly something that may be wrong with his diet? Let me know if you have any suggestions... THANKS!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I know there are additives that you can add to their food to help with the acid in the urine - but for the life of me - I cant think of them off hand. Another good method is to rinse the grass down a few times a day with plain water. If that's not possible, use a bucket of water to rinse down where he pees. Or - designate an area of the yard for potty breaks and either mulch it, gravel it, or just let him kill off the grass in that area.

Other then that - I really don't have any advice.

Of course - you could always take him for a walk to potty - and let him pee in other peoples yards! :lol: (just besure to pick up any deposits he leaves)

·
Registered
223 Posts
i dont know if its specifically AB's but i know all female dogs will leave yellow spots. our female OEB does but our male EB does not. when Sally pees, we hose it down immediately and my husband puts lyme/lye (whatever it is) in the spot too a few times a month. but dont let the dogs go near there since it is poison and could burn their feeties.

·
Registered
223 Posts
also, we have around our yard, "shore pebbles". the round rocks. we usually fence off the grass (since we paid so much for the sod!) and they go right on the rocks. its easy to clean up the poop too.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Sorry I know that this is a serious issue but maybe you should rename him Spot, lmao, this is cracking me up

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
jleonar said:
One solution is to water your grass everyday.

I used to have that problem with my dogs but once I started watering it everyday for about 15-30 minutes the problem went away.
I was wondering if that would help! I am gonna try that.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yes, watering your grass everyday will help because it is helping to wash away the acidic ph in
your dog's urine (which is what burns the grass). The only downfall is your grass will grow more
so you'll have to mow it more often. If you don't mind that, then it's not a problem. LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.