Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our new OEB and I know puppies arent supposed to have greenies, but what about when they get older? We have a lab that loves them but we just saw a news story that says greenies may actually be harmful to your dog. And the FDA is investigating wheather they are safe. Anyone have any advice wheather we should give our bully greenies or not? Thanks

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Greenies are kind of like raw hides... if you give them to your dog without supervision then they can do very bad things to your dog. But if you watch them and take them away before they are able to swallow them, then it will be okay.

Personally, I don't give any of those things to Kate. I don't want to take the risk that I get into a TV show and she swallows one that is a little too big.

I also gave Kate something like a greenie the other day, she was able to break it apart into little pieces and eat it. Not more then 24 hours later was she having the runs from it.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't take the chance. I give my dogs marrow bones and they help to clean their teeth. I don't give them rawhide, either. Too many times I've had to stick my hand down Chopper's throat to pull one out. :roll:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I agree with all of the above...I'd rather not take the chance. The ONE time I gave mine rawhides they got into a knock down drag out over them, so I haven't given them any since...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I used to give Bear Greenies and Budda Velvets all the time. I would watch him carefully and take it away when he got it to where he could swallow it.

Now after reading all of the bad stories surrounding these bones I purchase Merrick Beef or Pork chews directly from them online. I have not had any problems to date and Bear and Molly just love the Merrick stuff.

The one problem I had was with the Merrick Snoozles. Bear would get it real mooshy and try to swallow it whole. It got stuck in his throat and I had to get it out. Very scary moment. So I stay with the bigger chews and all is happy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do NOT take a chance with Greenies!!!

If the dog doesn't chew them throughly they can actually stick to the intestine and cause misery and even death. http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/14/dangerous.dogtreat/index.html

I would never take a chance with my dog's life like this. You can find many reports on them and the maker admits they can be a problem yet they are not labled or pulled from the shelves.

Peace,
Jane and the Hole in the Wall Gang

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I agree with what everyone above said. I wouldn't take the chance. I don't feed any rawhide or greenies, anything that could possibly harm my dog, I would definetly not give to her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts