Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Brian and I'm from Northern Ireland, I found this site while looking for pictures of bull terriers and was amazed by the info on it. And it's great to see a community that sees the Bull breeds for what they are, loveable family dogs instead of what the media demonises them as.

I've already posted a picture of my dog Eddie in the photos section but here he is again:

After owning various pure bred and mixed breeds of whippets (for hare coarsing) they outlawed hunting with dogs in Britain (and subsequently Northern Ireland) so I was on the look out for a new dog even before the Bill was passed. My friend had a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and it was the friendliest thing you could meet. Always licking, tail wagging and constant sniffs, snuffles and sneezes. He told me about the English Bull Terrier and I asked around and saw a couple pictures and thought "yes I must have one". I arranged to go to a breeder on the otherside of the country and when I arrived I could hear the bull terriers barking in his back yard. We went through the house and into the backyard and this huge dog with black eyes and rows of teeth came charging at me. For an instant I nearly crapped my pants, the dog (Eddie) threw himself against my legs with such force he nearly sent me on my arse. He leaned against me and threw his head back along the lenght of my leg and looked up at me and I scratched under his chin and I fell for him right there.

I later learned that there are two versions of the english bull terrier, Miniture and standard. My mum was a bit shocked when I arrived home with him, but now she spoils him rotten and he is her protector, he stands rigged behind her legs whenever he is indoors and outdoors he's extremely weary of people approaching any of the family who are walking him, too quickly. He fitted in with the family amazingly. (All adults/young adults, no kids).

He makes the most disgusting noises when he drinks, and while he's drinking he drools all over the kitchen floor and wall by his dish, he burps, he farts. He tears round the garden like a kid loaded up on sugar. But I wouldn't change him for the world. He's an absolute character and I can't see myself owning any other sort of dog now.

I know it's like preaching to the converted when I post such a ramble. But I'm sure everyone here has gone with the lead to their dogs run to take him/her for a walk and he/she's standing waiting and you find yourself smiling for absolutely no reason. That's what owning a bull terrier has brought into my life.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Welcome I think there is at least 2 others on here with bt!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts