Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deuce is gaining weight at a very rapid pace. He's a little monster. I don't mind it but I don't want to cause him health problems. On average he gains like 5-8 lbs a week. Is this normal? He is a little chubby and I am switchin him off puppy food onto an adult formula, and he never gets people food. Will this help, or is it ok for him to gain this quick. He is an OEB by the way. now at 4 months he is 39 lbs, well that was a few days ago, so no tellin what he weighs now. What do you guys think? Do I just have a little fatty on my hands here?

·
Registered
60 Posts
That sounds about right - make sure you are feeding him a large breed puppy formula. They are made for slower growth. Size depends on the bloodline of course but we are estimating Sarge to be about 85lbs full grown. Our Oldes tend to get their height within the first year - the mass really picks up from 1-2 years old. Our breeder recommeded sticking with puppy food until 18months old. I am still investigating that idea though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks ;)

I think my wife, Atoyball has posted some other pics of him here somewhere. For some reason I can't get photobucket to log in here at work or I could post my signature which is a scrolling photo album.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I'm sure Lisa can add more to this, but I have heard that an adult formula is a good choice for a large breed puppy because it prevents them from growing too fast (like you're worried about).

Lisa???

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
augrad said:
I'm sure Lisa can add more to this, but I have heard that an adult formula is a good choice for a large breed puppy because it prevents them from growing too fast (like you're worried about).

Lisa???
I totally agree with this! But I also believe that you should put them on a supplement so they get enough calcium.

·
Registered
60 Posts
He is still a youngin' :) He is 12 weeks old. He hasn't been weighed in a couple of weeks but I think he is about 22lbs. He gets his next round of shots this next week so we will have a weigh in at that point.

Who is your breeder? We got him out of Southpaw Bulldogs. They moved from Florida to Tennessee in Feb. just after Sarge and his littermates were born. Their bloodline is built on a combination of the MyBullz and ZBullz stock.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Why thank you! I am a proud Daddy lol

maryserratos said:
ScottB, your Sarge is such a doll!! What breeder did you get him from?
Southpaw Bulldogs http://southpawbulldogs.com

Not the best website :) but they are wonderful people and have produced some excellent puppies. Sarge has his own little section there on their page even.

·
Registered
60 Posts
deuce's mommy said:
Any suggestions on a good supplement and dosage?
Instead of adult formula - I recommend going with a large breed puppy formula instead. I have replied about this issue in a couple of different threads here so you probably know my views :)

I use a fish oil capsule (just cut it open and squeeze onto the food - I want some of the salmon oil in the spray bottle though for convenience) and I am going to start giving him a whole egg 3x a week shell and all - just break it up in his food. The shell is an excellent source of digestible calcium for dogs. I learned a lot from reading about BARF diets and the techniques they use for supplementation naturally. I also give a tablespoon of non-fat plain yogurt daily. This introduces probiotics into his diet to cut down on intestinal issues and reduces gas (he rarely passes gas).

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
ScottB said:
He is still a youngin' :) He is 12 weeks old. He hasn't been weighed in a couple of weeks but I think he is about 22lbs. He gets his next round of shots this next week so we will have a weigh in at that point.

Who is your breeder? We got him out of Southpaw Bulldogs. They moved from Florida to Tennessee in Feb. just after Sarge and his littermates were born. Their bloodline is built on a combination of the MyBullz and ZBullz stock.
ohhhhhhh...I love all the bullz lines!! I can't wait to see what your boy grows into!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
augrad said:

Lisa???
Yeah, I've heard that too. Puppy food has more protein than adult food, which allows them grow faster.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts