Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my 6 month old male has been limping for 3 to 4 weeks now and we have had him to the vet numerous times. Our vet tells us that he’s having what is called growing pains and it is causing him to limp. Our vet also tells us that this is normal since these dogs grow so large and so fast that it’s not an uncommon thing especially since Cain(my male) weighs 71 lbs now. Does this sound right and if so, how long do they go through this. Also has anyone had any experience with this?

Comments are always appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm guessing by his weight that you have an american bulldog? I'm not too sure but it sounds like his bones are growing too fast. My mind is hitting a blank for some reason (brain fart?) but they say to (I think) not feed them large breed puppy food. Maybe I have it the other way around? I would probably give him something for bone health, I recommend Solid Gold BoneMeaL which is ground bone and adds calcium. Maybe joint stuff would be good, I'd ask your vet first to make sure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Growing Pains

Yes, he's an American Bulldog. I have been feeding him Innova Large Breed Puppy and I also give him a New Vet Plus vitamine and our vet has us giving him a calcium supplement now. Any idea how long this will last and will it hurt him in the long run?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I Believe Innova is VERY high in protien (well I know for a fact it is) and sometimes that is not good for growing pups. I would put him on an adult forumla

·
Registered
35 Posts
You might be feeding him to much.I'd trying cutting it back to 75% of whats recomended before you try switching his food.
But if you decide to switch his food you might look into feeding him raw

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Food

The Innova puppy isn't hight in protein and it's 24% or 26%. The Innova Evo is 42% which is not good for a large breed dog and I don't feed him that anyways. I feed him 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening which is below the recommended feeding. Any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
15,994 Posts
Re: Food

ehackler said:
The Innova puppy isn't hight in protein and it's 24% or 26%. The Innova Evo is 42% which is not good for a large breed dog and I don't feed him that anyways. I feed him 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening which is below the recommended feeding. Any other ideas?

This does seem to be a problem for the breed if they are overly supplemented and or overly
exercised as puppies. Here is an article that may help. If you have not already, you should
discuss this with your vet to ensure that your dog is recieving the proper amounts of both.

http://www.doggy411.com/show_article.do?id=157

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like you've done all you can do. Outside of starving him.

It might be genetic and unavoidable.With some dogs ,threw diet, you have more control over the speed of growth. Having owned 2 great danes I noticed that they responded differently
to diet and grew at different rates etc.

You still might look into feeding him raw.It looks to be a better way to go.

Feeding Raw FAQ

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
You are feeding him GOOD food. Innova puppy is very good. Stay away from the Innova Evo and give him glucosomine/condroitent (sorry for the wrong spelling) to prevent more damage and you are feeding him a good amount. I would keep an eye on him and if nothing gets better REALLY soon I would x-ray his hips. I had a Rotti at 6 month of age with crippling hip displasia that he had to have surgery. Big dogs do tend to have this problem mostly if his sire and dam weren't bred correctly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nujoint Plus

I recently orderd some Nujoint plus which seems to get really good reviews and my vet also agreed that it was good stuff. It is said to have exact ammounts of Glucosamine/Cond-what-ever it's called along with other things that will hopefully help. I'll let everyone know how it goes

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I didn't even consider hip dysplasia as a possibility but hopefully his parents were tested for that. I am faintly remembering something from my vet assistant days, it has to do with the bones growing too fast which causes strain on the hips and knees especially. I remember hearing that the vets wouldn't put pins in a pup's broken leg because the thigh and the calve bones grow separate and they would've had to keep replacing the pins. If anyone could clarify what I'm trying to remember that would be helpful. LOL. I remember something about the growth patterns of large breed dogs, that the top section and the bottom section grow in opposite directions which causes strain on the knees especially and for that reason they limp. Something about the cartilage of the knee cap.. I'm sorry I wish I could remember what exactly I know about this subject.

·
Registered
12,743 Posts
Do not give ANY extra calcium to large breed puppies....very very bad.
They do not need anything that speeds up growth...that is not
good for their bones.
Diet plays a large role in bone development, because of the rapid growth of the bulldog it is wise to feed your puppy adult food (mini chunks) to lower the protien intake. Many dog food manufactuers recommend that puppy stays on the puppy mix for the first year, but the bulldogs bones don't need such a high protein intake as it speeds up an already rapid growth and can lead to development deformities in some cases. The same applies to calcium, don't give puppy any extra calcium - find a good well balanced dog food and stick to it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Re: Growing Pains?

ehackler said:
Ok, my 6 month old male has been limping for 3 to 4 weeks now and we have had him to the vet numerous times. Our vet tells us that he’s having what is called growing pains and it is causing him to limp. Our vet also tells us that this is normal since these dogs grow so large and so fast that it’s not an uncommon thing especially since Cain(my male) weighs 71 lbs now. Does this sound right and if so, how long do they go through this. Also has anyone had any experience with this?

Comments are always appreciated and thanks in advance.
Wow Busta has this aswell. Hes been limpin for almost 2 months now. I dont know what the cause of it is :? He doesnt limp all the time, only when hes been resting for a little then starts walkin again & he`ll not walk on it for the first 20 seconds but then everythings fine :? Anyone got any ideas on what the problem is?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got back from the Vet

After further Xrays the vet has said that Cain has OCD which he said is common in large breed dogs. He prescribed an Anti-Inflamitory drug and said that we should continue with the Nuvet/NuJoint vitamines and hopefully he will come out of this. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Obsessive compulsive disorder? *confused*

I have always been told to give growing pups calcium supplements as it strengthens the bones that tend to go brittle as they get longer, so I'm not sure what is meant by that article. They say early neutering helps to slow them down also.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Re: OCD

ehackler said:
Oops, it is calld O.C.D (osteochondrosis ) or shoulder/elbow/stifle dysplasia. Anyone familiar with it or had this in the past?
Yes I dealt with this with my German Sheppard when he was a pup. He was a very large pup, his parents were hugh! He grew to be 120lbs at his top weight (small compared to his father 130+lbs) Our vet suggested multivitaimins with calcium and iron. As he grew it did help him. We had Cody for 13 healthy years, when he did pass away from an accident the vet was amazed on how well his joints and bones were(xrays were taken). Yes he did have arthritis BUT it did help with extending his mobility. Talk with your vet because there might be something even better out there now ( it was 20 years ago when COdy was a pup) Best of luck to you and your baby.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Too much calcium for a growing pup can be extremely dangerous! This is one of the reasons that people recomend not giving puppy food to large breeds. I would be very careful with adding any extra to kibble because a lot of kibbles have high amounts of calcium allready. Sorry to hear about your pups problems. :cry:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.