Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have read of the methods for house training a pup but i must be failing...?

i picked beetle up at 9 weeks, and he's been living in his new home for just over a week. beetle has yet to let me know he has to do his business.. i take him out often and whenever i catch him sniffing the floor or doing that "walk". but all other times he needs to go he just goes, and often! if i catch him in the act i shout NO! pick him up and take him outside. if eliminates in the house but i dont catch him i just clean it up and dont punish him. i always praise him when he does it outside but he doesnt care! no attention span, he'll just put his face in the grass and munch.

i do have a crate but he's not in it for most of the day. im thinking i might keep in the crate for longer periods of time. but i dont want him to feel like a prisoner... sometimes i think he's starting to hate me cause i do all the dirty work. i lock him up, groom him when needed, remove his toys, punish when needed, etc. all this even though i show him tons of love and i play with him.

i feel as though i do the neccessary things but its not working at all

thoughts? (side question, should i offer beetlejuice treats when he goes pee AND poo, or just a single treat after he's done both?)

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Welcome to the joys of puppyhood! LOL :lol:

Yes to treats! If treats are what works then give him treats. Treats after he pees, treats after he poos. eventually, you can cut back on the treats and just use verbal praise. Keep doing what you're doing. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Don't worry about beetlejuice hating you for taking care of him! It's like a little kid...once they get older, they come to respect you for all you do. (well, we hope so anyway!) Keep in mind that my dogs weren't fully housetrained until about 4 or 5 months old! Of course, every dog has it's own schedule. Hang in there!!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Lol, I feeeeeeeeeeeeel you!

He is only 10 weeks, right??It's not going to happen yet, so just take a breather.

I have found (w/ 3 puppies at once) that the best way to housebreak is to yes, crate them longer. Develop a schedule. Mine go out at 6am, 730 am, then strecth till noon, because we work. Then they go out at noon, again at 3pm, then I get home at 3:30 pm. After developing a schedule, the reedom grows for the pup, and you from the bleach and papertowels! They stay out for the rest of the night, and only go back up during our dinner, and then at about 10pm then it starts again at 2am, then at 6am!!!

Try the schedule thing, they need a schedule. Now, if he starts screaming in the cgae, take him out to go , after he goes, play for a bit, then put him up. If he doesnt' put him up and try again later.

Eventually (I think Dixie was 6 months) he will stay out all day and let you know when he has to go.

These things take time,be patient.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
It's only been a week. Give it time. But at the same time, if you are having problems with him going in the house and you not seeing it, then I'm sorry to say it's your fault (no offense). In the beginning stages of housebreaking your pup should never be out of your sight. If you can not see him then he should be in his crate.

I think Carrie has posted that when she is housebreaking she keeps her pups leashed to her everywhere she goes.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
For a puppy the rule of thumb that I follow is for every month old that is how many hours they can wait to go out ex: 1month, every hour.....2 months every two hours...3 months evey three hours......Everytime he eats, drinks, plays, naps,circles...OUT..... It takes a while and Bearsmom is right do not let them out of you sight

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
It took Bella about 8-10 weeks in our house to become reliably housebroken (no accidents for a month). Things really started clicking with her at about 10 or 11 weeks of age when we hung a bell on the back door. It may have been coincidental, though. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone, this is encouraging! i appreciate all of this info..

how can i keep his attention on ME more when i need it? (his attention for treats and praise come and go). if i have him leashed how can i get him to follow me when he's being stubborn and treats dont do the trick. he just wants to sit, or fight the leash

:p

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
TRUST ME I just went throught his with Mason.. he's ALOT better now, he still has his moments but he holds it most of the day while at work depending on how much water inatke I let him have that morning.... I usually cut off his water say around 730 so he has 3 hours to do his business and not have a full bladder while we sleep..

Theres gonna be accidents but he'll start to develop bladder control at around 14 weeks..

in the beginning I took him out every 15 minutes.. then every 25 minutes and so on... Try taking him out after he plays, after he eats, after he wakes up...etc...

GOOD LUCK!! Be patient and never stop keeping a eye on him..lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
i don't know if this'll be of any help...but when i was housebreaking my dog we put a schedule up for him....when he goes pee and poo....and usually most of the time after play, eat, sleep they need to pee....puppies still have a small bladder specially at the age your puppy is at.

and i've also learned that when your home and your doing something and can't keep an eye on him then keep him in the crate....puppies should have restrictions on where they go in the house....they have to earn their freedom just what a lot of these people say...to much freedom will say he's the alpha....

when your puppy pees in the house basically it's your fault because you didn't keep close eye on him....it's never the puppies fault because they don't know any better....

use treats to praise after peeing or pooing outside....when you catch him doing it inside say no and take him outside....try to use a command when they eliminate outside so that in the future once he's trained he'll learn how to do it on command (eg. "hurry up" or "do your business")

one tip never clean the mess your dog made inside the house infront of him or never punish after he's done the deed....

if you have an american bulldog..which i also have...i've read somewhere that this breed takes a long time before they're fully housebroken.

so be patient and does take time...

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
:lol: man I can't wait until Marlee can hold her bladder for longer then 10 minutes :lol:

Im in and out of the house like a yo yo...."Marlee 'good Girl....wee wee" my neighbours must think im mad.

I have her on a leash attatched to me, so I can learn the tell tell signs she needs to go. #2's Ive sussed she runs around like she got a fleas up her butt, darting around back n forth, #1's I see no sign as yet, aprt from the puddle which means i missed it again! :lol:

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
carissa said:
i don't know if this'll be of any help...but when i was housebreaking my dog we put a schedule up for him....when he goes pee and poo....and usually most of the time after play, eat, sleep they need to pee....puppies still have a small bladder specially at the age your puppy is at.

and i've also learned that when your home and your doing something and can't keep an eye on him then keep him in the crate....puppies should have restrictions on where they go in the house....they have to earn their freedom just what a lot of these people say...to much freedom will say he's the alpha....

when your puppy pees in the house basically it's your fault because you didn't keep close eye on him....it's never the puppies fault because they don't know any better....

use treats to praise after peeing or pooing outside....when you catch him doing it inside say no and take him outside....try to use a command when they eliminate outside so that in the future once he's trained he'll learn how to do it on command (eg. "hurry up" or "do your business")one tip never clean the mess your dog made inside the house infront of him or never punish after he's done the deed....

if you have an american bulldog..which i also have...i've read somewhere that this breed takes a long time before they're fully housebroken.

so be patient and does take time...
Late at night that can be changed to, "for for the love of god will u please do a damn wee-wee, I didn't bring you out here to sniff the whole of the backgarden" followed with "Please............ mommy's tired" :lol:

Also, why should we not let them see us clear it up? Roxy always looks at me as if to say..." wow you'll get into trouble for weeing on the floor, thats just disgusting!"

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
cky3396 said:
thanks everyone, this is encouraging! i appreciate all of this info..

how can i keep his attention on ME more when i need it? (his attention for treats and praise come and go). if i have him leashed how can i get him to follow me when he's being stubborn and treats dont do the trick. he just wants to sit, or fight the leash

:p
I say just put him on a leash and attach the other end to your belt buckle and then just walk and do your thing. If he puts up a fight and sits.... keep walking, ignore him, eventually he will realize he needs to be by yourside

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
training takes about 3-5 months. Atleast, that's how long it took us. He is crate trained to where he is in it 4 hours at a time during the day and all night. Crate training is the best way to break a pup.

Atleast you didn't get your pup in the winter like some of us goofballs. :D Now that was a nightmare.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Gus and i are doing the same thing right now, in and out, everytime he plays. I'm lucky enough that i don't start work for another week, so it's just us, one on one all day long. But like you, i see the signs for #2, but #1 still misses about 2 times a day. (Very excited thought that the bissell spot cleaner on ebay i'm bidding on i'm winning!) I'm just trying to stay consistant and taking him out all the time. I'm thinking about doing the bell training, but that's just cause i'm looking for him to tell me something that he has to go out.

PS, can anyone make me a "Gus Banner?"

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks again! i created a schedule and posted it above beetle's crate. im also trying the leash method.. beetlejuice fights the leash a good amount of the time but for the most part i think he's getting the idea. its hard to just ignore him sometimes becuase he is so stubborn!

i'll kept him in the crate a lot yesterday. taking him out at a couple hours at a time, for playing, takeing trips to the backyard to "do it", and for meal times.

would it be wrong to keep beetle in the crate while i am in the same room?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
cky3396 said:
would it be wrong to keep beetle in the crate while i am in the same room?
If you are on the computer or watching tv and can't keep an eye on him... then no, not at all.

But maybe for his sake... when that situation arises, move his crate into another room?

·
Registered
11 Posts
:p[/quote]I say just put him on a leash and attach the other end to your belt buckle and then just walk and do your thing. If he puts up a fight and sits.... keep walking, ignore him, eventually he will realize he needs to be by yourside[/quote]

i agree with this ... that's what i did with my puppy...you can actually buy a leash that can connect to a buckle around your waist...it's called lead training leash...it not only let's you have the dog with you without holding on to the leash...but it trains the dog to follow you every where....

so that accidents happen lesser...

about the fact that i said about do not let your dog see you clean up his mess (pee or poo) infront of him......i read that in books..it means basically if you let your dog see you clean up after him...it'll make him think that you'll ALWAYS do it and it makes you seem that you're not the leader of the pack...or in other words your not the alpha dog....

and the fact that never punish them after the deed is done...makes the dog rebell and next time he'll find places to pee or poo where you can't find it....he'll actually hide it from you...this actually is a fact and it also happened to a friend of mine....he punished his husky for peeing or pooing after the fact and after that she'll pee underneath tables behind couches...where she thought we couldn't find it.....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Many great replies here. We taught Zeus to go on command. Is it perfect? No, but it does work some of the time. Every time we brought him out, we would say, "Hurry up" and when he went, he got a treat and praise. He now associates that with bathroom time, which has really come in handy on that last trip out before bed. Other times of the day, when he is hyper, he may not listen, but it was worth it for "last call" when you are tired and ready for bed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts