Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new here.
I'd like to ask a question if I may. If a dog is "gun" shy, or becomes agitated or frightened by sudden loud pops and bangs, how does one go about eliminating this condition? Is it even possible.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
That is called noise sensitivity. How severe is it? Does it happen all the time or just once in a while? Did you actually test the dog with gunshot? Can you describe in detail the reaction to the sounds? For exmple how is the dogs body language? Does it try and run away? Tuck its tail? A little more info would help.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts

Gun shyness in my opinion is Genetic.You can condition a dog around it but depends on how severe it is.Can you give us more information on how bad this "shyness" is?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I agree. Noise sensitivity is genetic. I HATE IT! It shows weak nerves.

I admit, I don't mind the initial shock, but the dog should be on alert and very curious.

If the dog cannot overcome his fear and is in shock, tail down, for a long time, I would put it down. Chances of being a fear biter is slight, but I do not like to take a chance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:oops: My apologies. I'm still waiting for my new friends to get here. I was asking cause "Bob" (r.i.p.) my blue heeler would become very stressed when the neighbor would fire off a gun or even if a thunder storm came around. I would try to allways be around when either happened, but if I was'nt, he would pace the yard and pant very heavily. If I was there, and could hold him and comfort him, sort of like one would do for a crying child, he would calm down rather well. I recieved Bob as a 1.5 year old rescue dog. He was raised in town and I live in the country. I dont think he was ever exposed to the loud noises as a pup.

I ask this and may have a few more questions, because if my new friends happen to be of the bully breed (hopefully) I would like to know how to deal with the situation if I need to.

Thank you for any information.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Do not comfort your dog in times of stress!!! Thatis absolutely the WORST thing you could do!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts