Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here in Eastern PA, we are getting hammered with rain, and i just realized that Gus hates it. Even though i will get all suited up for the rain and try to make it quick, HE WON'T PEE OR POO outside in the rain, unless it's a really really light rain, then it's right back inside. But now it's started a cascade of events, he has pooed in the house twice right after we take him out which isn't like him, and he peed like 3 times the other day.
Now up until today, i had Gus for 4 weeks 24/7 because i hadn't started work yet. Today was the first all day crate challenge (i came home at lunch to let him out and feedhim about noon). There were no accidents which was awesome, but he still doesn't go voluntarily into his crate...EVER, he always sleeps there even if he falls asleep in the livingroom, i pick him up and put him in there. At what age is he supposed to feel like he can go in there, cause right now he just whines for like 10 minutes until he falls asleep. I'm being so persistant with all the training and still feel like i'm going to have this adult EB that bites people and poops on everything and can't tell me when he has to go out! Sorry i'm just freaking out a bit, but thanks to whoever listens or is willing to offer some suggestions!~Bicole

·
Registered
27 Posts
You've got to make Gus' crate his safe place. This means there must be a nice bed in there, some snack, toys, you name it. The most important thing is to build up the time he spends in the crate by the minute.
He has got to build up confidence in you, that when he's put in the crate, you will get him out too. Praise him like crazy when goes into his crate by himself, make your own little party!

Never send your dog to his crate to punish him. He'll link his crate to an bad experience, which should be a place where he must feel safe.

I have a SBT and they know how to whine too!! :shock: Don't give him any attention when he's doing this. Because you'll be affirming unwanted behaviour. You write that he's just doing this for about 15 minutes, so that's not extremely long...

Mayby you already know all of this, but I just write all the things down that may help you.

About the pooing and peeing in house. Mayby you can try to praise him like crazy when he poo's and pee's outside too. Positive energy does wonders with dogs.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've got to make Gus' crate his safe place. This means there must be a nice bed in there, some snack, toys, you name it. The most important thing is to build up the time he spends in the crate by the minute.
He has got to build up confidence in you, that when he's put in the crate, you will get him out too. Praise him like crazy when goes into his crate by himself, make your own little party!

Never send your dog to his crate to punish him. He'll link his crate to an bad experience, which should be a place where he must feel safe.

I have a SBT and they know how to whine too!! :shock: Don't give him any attention when he's doing this. Because you'll be affirming unwanted behaviour. You write that he's just doing this for about 15 minutes, so that's not extremely long...

Mayby you already know all of this, but I just write all the things down that may help you.

About the pooing and peeing in house. Mayby you can try to praise him like crazy when he poo's and pee's outside too. Positive energy does wonders with dogs.

Good luck!!
He has plenty of toys and chewy things, and he has never gone in by himself, he will however get really close and lay down by the fan which is right next to the crate. He never gets attention when he whines unless he has to pee, but he will usually start barking if he really has to go. He gets TONS of praise and treats everytime he goes outside, thanks again though!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Some dogs just don't like the crate. Kate's previous owner kept her in there alllll the time except for maybe an hour or two during the day to go potty outside.

Now Kate is only in there when we are not home or sleeping. The only time she has gone in there voluntarily is when she was very sick, other then that, she would rather sleep anywhere else. But once she is in, she doesnt make a peep until you let her out agian.

I gave up trying to make it her favorite spot. It is just not her thing, but once she is in there she is okay, so that is fine with me

·
Registered
886 Posts
Do you have a towel or something over the crate? Think they like to feel like it is their little cave or den. Zoe started hanging out in hers on her own once we put a blanket over it and it was darker. Now she goes in there whenever she needs a little "quiet time". (if there are lots of little kids around/commotion, etc). We are careful not to let any kids or other dogs near her crate, so that she always feels like it is her safe haven.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, both ideas very helpful, except the towel thing (though i honestly appreciate it) We tried that and he FREAKED OUT! he just barked louder and louder, we have no children yet, so it's really quite quiet in there for him.
It makes me feel so much better to know that maybe the crate won't be "his spot" and like you he is ONLY in there when i'm at work or when it's "sleep time" or we have to leave to do something, but we usually coordinate it around his many puppy naps throughout the day! Once he's older hopefully he won't have to be in there all day, but with those puppy teeth he stil chews on everything. Glad to know my dog isn't the only different/extra special:) one!

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Beware of putting bedding or pillows in the crate. For some reasom bullies like to destroy them and the stuffing can get stuck in their stomachs. Then you get to play tug-o-war with it. This game doesn't usually involve your dogs mouth. :D

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Family of 5 said:
Beware of putting bedding or pillows in the crate. For some reasom bullies like to destroy them and the stuffing can get stuck in their stomachs. Then you get to play tug-o-war with it. This game doesn't usually involve your dogs mouth. :D
You should also be aware that putting bedding or pillows in the crate gives them an excuse to piddle on them and then push them off in the corner so they don't have to lay in it. I had this problem with Molly. As soon as I took out the bedding she never went in her crate again. :lol:

As for the rain. Bear gave me a problem when he was a pup. We ended up with a week of constant rain and I knew we needed to get over this. So I geared up for battle :lol: In the middle of a pouring ran I put him on leash, carried him to his pee spot and refused to let him run for the door until he went. I just kept saying pee pee and pulling him back from the door. Took a little while but I did not give so he had to. I was drenched but after that he would run out quick to do his business.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Family of 5 said:
LOL This game doesn't usually involve your dogs mouth. :D I never really thought of that, but he did tear the stuffing out of this stuffed cat we call his "friend" but i sewed him back up because Gus loves the squeaky inside. Thanks so much for the tip. and fingers crossed the little :twisted: won't eat any thing i have to trail after ( my cat was notorious for this and blades of grass, i'm a nurse, but pulling poo out on an animal is just so nasty to me!!!)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should also be aware that putting bedding or pillows in the crate gives them an excuse to piddle on them and then push them off in the corner so they don't have to lay in it. I had this problem with Molly. As soon as I took out the bedding she never went in her crate again. :lol:

As for the rain. Bear gave me a problem when he was a pup. We ended up with a week of constant rain and I knew we needed to get over this. So I geared up for battle :lol: In the middle of a pouring ran I put him on leash, carried him to his pee spot and refused to let him run for the door until he went. I just kept saying pee pee and pulling him back from the door. Took a little while but I did not give so he had to. I was drenched but after that he would run out quick to do his business.[/quote]

I'm excited to try "no bedding" in the crate. :D I'm curious though did you ever give it back like in the winter when it's colder out and the puppy was older?? This is making sense to me anyway becuase even though it's kept nice and cool here in the apartment he always pushes the bedding off the floor of the crate just so he can lay on the cool plastic. Once again you guys are FILLED with so much knowledge and i truely appreciate it. As well as will try the rain thing next time it downpours, but for now the sun is drying up the flooding so i'm sure we can both wait awhile. Oh and i know it's not the "picture forum" but here are a few recent pics of my little bugger!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts