Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Patch is getting really picky with his food and often sniffs the bowl and walks away.

Lately i've been trying hand feeding and he eats the food right out of my hand, no questions asked!

The same food he sniffs and walks away from when in a bowl!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Lisa said:
Patch said:
Patch is getting really picky with his food and often sniffs the bowl and walks away.

Lately i've been trying hand feeding and he eats the food right out of my hand, no questions asked!

The same food he sniffs and walks away from when in a bowl!
What do you do when Patch walks away from his food bowl?
i just say 'c'mon, eat!' and point to his bowl.

should i be doing more?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Lisa said:
i just say 'c'mon, eat!' and point to his bowl.

should i be doing more?
Well, first of all, your dog does not know what you are trying to communicate. Dogs have the intelligence of an average 3 yr old so their vocabulary is very limited. They are also very opportunistic and can learn if taught with this in mind.

What you need to do is put his food down. The minute he walks away you must pick it up and put it away until the next meal. Believe me, your dog will more than likely go without food for a few days. But, do not worry, your dog will not purposely starve itself. No dog would. Eventually he will get the picture and learn that he is to eat when you allow him to. The key is to never allow your dog to walk away from its food bowl. By doing this you are teaching it that it can chose when it eats rather than you.

Like I said, handfeeding can be very helpful, but if you can not commit to handfeeding all his meals then the method above will work if you can stick to it.

Tough Love.
Thanks for your advice.
the past few days i've been putting his food down for 20 mins then i put away any uneaten portion.
he will eat a bit... then walk away.... so i take away his food after 20 mins.
i feel horrible doing this like he is going to go hungry....... he still walks away after a short time though.
when should he get the drift?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Lisa said:
Patch, what you are doing is an improvement over people who free feed. Good for you for taking that step. However, I would take it a step further than you. If I had the dog I would not allow 20 minutes. To me that is much too long. My dogs all eat their meals immediately. They bury their heads and unless there is a MAJOR distraction they finish their food without lifting their heads. Rosco takes under 2 minutes. Smooch under 5 minutes and Maddie somewhere in between. If Patch was my dog I would lift that bowl up the very first time he walks away from it. Even if it was only a matter of seconds. He will learn much quicker this way. No beating around the bush, right to the point. Black and white.

Good luck.
hey... i've only been doing it literally for 2 days
and the reason is that the birds keep coming to eat patch's food.... and we're getting ants now!
so i dont want to leave his food outside all day.

thats the main reason im doing it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts