Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm Mell and i live in England, i have a three year old Bulldog called Molly. Molly had her 1st litter last sunday, she self whelped and had 9 healthy babies. The problems started when she had settled down after whelping, the pups started to suckle and she immediatly stood up and walked off, since then she will wash them but will only stand outside the box to do so. If i try to settle her with them she gets extremly distressed, i will carry on trying but for now its hand feeding, which brings me to my plea...................i am feeding them every 2 hours so with 9 its a constant round of feeds. Has anyone else hand reared a litter and could give me some tips and words of encouragement, my partner is fantastic, sharing the night feeds but i have got so involved with these little ones i know have to expect to lose some but i will be gutted when/if it does happen. any help will be really gratefully received

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've raised numerous litters of pups. Feeding round the clock are what it entails. Also, you MUST stimulate them to go to the bathroom (urinate & defacate) or you're going to run into some serious problems as they cannot do this on their own yet.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Miakoda said:
I've raised numerous litters of pups. Feeding round the clock are what it entails. Also, you MUST stimulate them to go to the bathroom (urinate & defacate) or you're going to run into some serious problems as they cannot do this on their own yet.
Simulating them into going potty is just as important as the feedings! I would also suggest a puppy milk formula, it has additional suppliments and vitiamins. Try to encourage the mother to nurse the pups as much as possable. It might be easier to try one puppy at a time. Best of luck please keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I always stimulated before and after each feeding. I take a cotton ball and saturate it with warm water them tap them lightly on the rectum repeatedly until they urinate and deficate. Good luck. You have your work cut out for you. You could ship me a couple!! I can't promise I will ship em back :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Hi, thank you for the replies, i really appricate it. Well yesterday i lost two babies, its broke my heart, i expected to lose one or two as they were very small but its made me think who's next which i know is silly, they have all doubled their birth weights in 6 days so i guess thats good.
I know how important it is to make them "go" and sometimes this takes as long as the feed!!! but fingers crossed we have always managed it up until now. I'll keep you updated and post some pics next week.............many thanks again

Mell x

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
So sorry to hear that you lost 2 pups. Glad to hear that the rest are doing good. Please fix your female since she is Not a good mother. Post pictures ASAP

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not sure what formula you are feeding them, but I highly recommend goats milk. It is the closest to the real deal as you can get, highly digestable. Most powdered formulas or other concoctions can be hard to digest..the little ones get severly gassy and may even bloat..definitely a higher mortality rate than with goats milk. See if you can find a local goat breeder in your area (hint: contact your local 4-H office) and get the stuff by the gallon..most breeders dump thier excess, so are happy to give it away.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Re: Update

Mellyc said:
Hi, thank you for the replies, i really appricate it. Well yesterday i lost two babies, its broke my heart, i expected to lose one or two as they were very small but its made me think who's next which i know is silly, they have all doubled their birth weights in 6 days so i guess thats good.
I know how important it is to make them "go" and sometimes this takes as long as the feed!!! but fingers crossed we have always managed it up until now. I'll keep you updated and post some pics next week.............many thanks again

Mell x
I am so sorry to hear you lost two babies. I know how painful losing babies can be, I bottle fed two litters of kittens that were orphaned. Its a very hard job to fed and stimulate them. I used a milk replacement that was made by Hartz. If you can get some it will help a lot. I would also suggest adding a little baby/infant oatmeal cereal, just enough to lightly thicken the milk this will help the pups to last a little longer between feeding. Oatmeal is better than rice, rice is very binding and I do not suggest it at all, it is just to hard on their little tummies. Just remember it will also cause them to have more thicker bowel movements. I've attached a link to this product I hope this is helpful to you. Please do keep us updated. Best of luck to you and the pups!
http://www.hartz.com/Our Products/Browse.asp

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your help, i'm taking it all on board. I have found a supplier of goats milk so gradually trying that. I'm not able to get Hartz formula in the UK on Lactol. All the other babies seem fine but i won't speak to soon just in case. I'll keep you posted and the "fixing" will be booked!!!

Mell

·
Registered
634 Posts
the first week u MUST KEEP the temp around 80-90 dgs in the room some dogs are juse not ment to be moms if your female wont feed them be careful leaveing her around them buy herself she could kill them when we have a litter i sleep in the back room on the floor for about 4-5 day just to make sure they are all eating and going to the bathroom my girlfriend and my mom think im nuts for doing that but the way i look at it i helped bring them into the world so i feel its my responcabilty to care for them as it was my own hope every thing works out for u best wishes

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Dogs have instincts, they know what they're doing. If you breed, you should already be prepared and know how to bottle feed. It's called responsibility

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Hi, Thanks for asking how the pups are, My PC went down on me so i've not been online for a while. They are all doing great and are now four times their birth weight. They are showing an intrest in oat baby food but end up with more on them than in them!
I have been really grateful to you all for your help and advice, the tip about gently tapping their rear end to "go" worked a treat. I would never be stupid enough to think i know everything although of course i know the basics but i firmly believe you are never to old to learn. I have reared many litters of kittens before as i ran a rescue centre and dogs are alot easier.

I have read and re read my original posting and no where can i see where i said i wasn't prepared to bottle feed despite one posting saying so. I consider myself a very responsible breeder but going back to my earlier point i don't know everything and i only asked for any tips or advice more experienced breeders could pass on. Had i not been responsible i would have left the pups with mum to either be squashed or starve but i didn't i fed them and yes asked for advice but with comments like this many more that are less experienced than i am will think twice if all they are going to be labeled iresponsible
[/quote]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Roxy, i have tried to wrap one up to ship to you but he keeps getting out of the paper!!!! they are all doing really well and all have their own personalites. The hardest part of this will be letting them go!!! Molly is doing great, concentrating on getting her pre pregnancy figure back! thanks for asking

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Aren't we both from the UK ?

Glad to hear they are all doing well :) Be much easier once she is spayed. You get any pics of Molly?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry Roxy i didn't know you were from the UK. I'm on my PC at work (good job i now work for myself!!!) the pups come to work with me everyday along with Molly, so i only have one on here from when she was a pup

·
Registered
703 Posts
Wow! They all look great! I am so happy to hear all is well. It is a tuff job hand feeding but it is all so worth it, isn't it. I know it will be hard to give them up, I gone through it several times.
The last litter of kittens I started out with six and lost four because they were just too small. The two that survived well........They're still here. I can't give them up my boy Joe (aka "Josie" see banner) helped with them and he would go nutz if they were gone. They are best of buddies.
Again I am so happy to see the little fatties! PLease keep us updated as much as possable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm glad you liked the pups picture, its been really worth the sleepless nights to see them playing now. their first prospective new owners are seeing them over the weekend, they aren't ready to go until the end of November but bully's are in demand here. I agree how heart breaking kittens can be, its a trial just trying to get them to suck never mind anything else i don't think i have ever raised a full litter of kittens by hand rearing, even the smallest ones can be so stubborn!!!!!!. I've put a picture here of the girl we are keeping, we've named her lily

1 - 20 of 28 Posts