Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a major issue with Harley. When I take her outside and she seesa vehicle coming down the road (we are on the sidewalk of course) she wants to chase it down the road. How do I address this issue?

Is it normal for Harley to carry my things around the house? For example lsat night I Was taking a bath and when my husband came home she came in and stole my Pajamas! She also enjoys carrying my shoes around. Shes not wating or chewing any of it just carrying it around. Kind of an odd habit and I'm realy not sure how to address that issue either.

Ideas?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Toby is definitely into stealing things right now. I looked under my bed yesterday and found shoes, a bra, and a torn up book. I try to be very diligent about not leaving things around for my little thief to swipe but he seems to be very sneaky. I just can't figure him out sometimes....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Toby is definitely into stealing things right now. I looked under my bed yesterday and found shoes, a bra, and a torn up book. I try to be very diligent about not leaving things around for my little thief to swipe but he seems to be very sneaky. I just can't figure him out sometimes....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi .............all I have are words of extreme caution. My friends dog was killed doing the same thing. It would be horrible for the same to happen to you. Unfortunately I don't have any advise.........Hopefully someone else does. Sorry..........Dawn :cry:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hmm, I dunno, but Boomer takes my shoes and sleeps with them if im not home. I guess they know its yours by a scent and they miss you. So while your in the shower he takes something of yours. He takes a shoe into his cage and sleeps on it like its a pillow... doesnt chew it though.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I am having a major issue with Harley. When I take her outside and she seesa vehicle coming down the road (we are on the sidewalk of course) she wants to chase it down the road. How do I address this issue
Do you have her on lead when this happens or is she actually chasing the car down the road? I do know of a good method to correct dogs that like to chase cars but its not a positive approach. Let me know if you want me to share it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Cmoazz said:
Hmm, I dunno, but Boomer takes my shoes and sleeps with them if im not home. I guess they know its yours by a scent and they miss you. So while your in the shower he takes something of yours. He takes a shoe into his cage and sleeps on it like its a pillow... doesnt chew it though.
That's cute. :) Bella takes my sleeping t-shirts off of the bathroom floor while I'm in the shower if I leave the door cracked. She takes it to the couch and sucks on it. Doesn't chew it, just slobbers all over it. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a cat that does that sort of thing. I found him when he was about 4 weeks old underneath our garage. He used to try and suck on my finger but now I've gotten him to just suck on a small stuffed animal.

Kelly

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Lisa said:
I am having a major issue with Harley. When I take her outside and she seesa vehicle coming down the road (we are on the sidewalk of course) she wants to chase it down the road. How do I address this issue
Do you have her on lead when this happens or is she actually chasing the car down the road? I do know of a good method to correct dogs that like to chase cars but its not a positive approach. Let me know if you want me to share it.
Share! we like to chase cars too, on the leash...I prefer to chase them leashless as I tend to trip over it!

But seriously please post! Roxy's got a thing for white vans, mainly as my ex hubby collect the children in his.

Edit: Roxy takes my things too, mainly to sleep on... is this another dominance thing? *prays its not*

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No she is ALWAYS on aleash when outside. We live in town. Abuot 2 years ago I had a really bad experience. My aunt never put her white boxer on a leash. We went to visit and as I was getting my things out of my car she ran across the road to see me and was hit by a speeding SUV and was killed. I still feel terrible about it.

HArley stole a pair of my sons sweat pants and ate them. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :evil: I kinda brushed it off, scolded her and put her in her crate but my sons father was a tad pissy.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Molly use to chase after cars while taking a walk and I would stand there in shock because why would they even think about chasing a car.Molly was about 10 months of age when she was doing this.I had went out and bought a choke collar( as told by her trainer) and we would go for our walk and if she started to go after a car I would yell HEAL then give a tug on the collar.The only reason I used heal instead of no is because that is what we were also working on.It seemed to have worked or she just out grew the chasing of cars,I couldn't tell you but that is my story.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
A harness is good as well but I think the choke collar is best to train with then once they understand you can move to a harness.Totally up to you though,just throwing it out there from my own personal experience.Good luck on this matter and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
380 Posts
How often do you travel with your dog in the car. Mayby if she had a new association with cars she would not want to chase them. perhaps doing some lead work in a busy parking lot might help.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
AkainePSP said:
When purchasing a collar how do I know what size to buy. Harley is currently 65 lbs. I was thinking somewhere between a 22 -24"
Do you have a tape measure? Just wrap it around her neck and add 2 inches. That's how big the collar should be. Bella is 55lbs. and wears an 18" collar on her 16" neck. (The collar is 18" in the middle, 16" at the smallest, and about 20" at the biggest)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.