Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued a 8 week old American Pit from when all the Hurrican stuff was going on. Found out the couple that originaly had him didn't take care of him, but at 8 weeks he was to hansom to pass and I knew some backgoround on him. I didn't get any papers and don't know if he ever had any at that. I would like to Stud him once then get him fixed.

This is my first American Pit Bull and so far so good with my kids. If I can keep him from getting to excited and bumping them over or licking them to death would be a plus.

Also I was trying to locate anyone in the North west Louisiana area that needa stud. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is a picture of Cane.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bella_ Blue. Please excuse me if I use the wrong words. Short and simple he is going through pillows and next could be legs. :wink:

He is just a great dog I would like to see someone pups from him.

Also remmber I'm new to the American Pit world and need guidance.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
How about you just get him neutered if he's always randy? :)

Although we are very passionate about bully breeds here, I don't think you'll find much support for breeding your boy. A lot of people here are very active in bully breed rescue and see the terrible outcome of "just wanted to breed him once" every day. If he is your first pit bull, I'd recommend getting him neutered and reading every dog book you can get your hands on. Check out some dog shows, weight pulling competitions, agility rallies, etc. Check out dogs that have proven themselves and talk to (and if possible, be the mentee of) reputable breeders. I'm sure you're aware, but there is a huge pit bull problem in this country. Too much backyard breeding of pit bulls that haven't proven themselves to be excellent representatives of their breeds. I'm sure your dog is a wonderful companion, but there are too many pit bulls dying in shelters every day. Even if you breed you and the owner of the bitch to whom you breed your dog has 10 good homes lined up, chances are some of those will fall through and the pups will end up in a shelter. Or even worse, your pups may end up in the wrong hands. I'm sure you would hate to see that happen!

Anyway, that's just food for thought. I hope you don't think I'm trying to be mean or anything. :)

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Cane is a nice looking boy. Anyone else think he looks to have some Staffy Bull in him?

To keep him from jumping up on people you just have to be consistent. I use firm no jump and sometimes use a leg to block my dog.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I thought so too, not just with his head shape, but his build also.

And I second everything Bella_blue just so politely said. I hope you consider her suggestions before making your decision!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to agree with all of the above suggestions.

Firstly, don't just breed the dog because he seems to "want it"...

Secondly, most breeders who are looking for a stud dog, are very particular in what they want, and bloodlines, temperament and coformation are very important. If you took your dog in as a rescue, do you have all this information? You did mention he had no papers. Reputable breeders would require papers.

Like bella-blue said, there is already a problem with this breed being unfairly punished for poor breeding and bad ownership. Please don't add to this problem.....

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I thought Staffy too when I saw him... He is too "blocky" I think to be a pit. Maybe he has some pit somewhere in his lines, but He is not a "pure" Pit.

I agree to everything Bella_blue said. I just want to add, that being a first time bully owner, you need to spend your time and energy educating yourself on what it means to be a bully owner. All the bully breeds tend to be very head strong and stubborn. They take alot of energy and persistance to make then good canine citizens. But the effort is well worth it!

After having been involved with bullies and rescue, I can say from first hand experiance, PLEASE DO NOT BREED YOUR DOG!!! Get him neutered - both of you will be happier.... You from the change in his mounting behavior, and him because he will not always be looking for some "fun", he will be less agressive to other dogs, and also because his risk of developing lifethreatening testicular cancer as well as other associated cancers will be significantly less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All, thanks for the info and guidance!

A good freind of mine has had his pit for a long while now and has been helping with Cane. I'm also a Jack Russel owner and so far they get along fine.

All are good points and yes they have gotten unfairly punished for poor breeding and bad ownership and I will strongly agree.

Lately where I'm at the city did a sweep to pick up anyone using them for dog fighting, strays or if they were strongly agressive and were known to attack.(Which if I understand the breed correctly they are very protective of there home or area.)

This was mostly in the very low income areas.

And I would bet that some were unfairly marked as being agressive.

I don't have any papers on Cane or know what type of bloodline he is from. I could call and find out but I don't want to deal with the previouse owner that just left him tided to a tree with no water and a larg burn on his shoulder.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Actually, if bred correctly pitbulls are not really all that good at being guard dogs. They will more likely lick someone to death than bite. Anyway, they sure do make good deterrents. I'd venture to guess that some of the dogs that were "vicious" were either made to be that way, or showed animal aggression, which is to be expected.

He's a nice looking boy. I tend to agree that he looks like a Staffy more than APBT. Best of luck with him. :wink:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
To answer your question: NO!

You know nothing about the history of that dog. In fact, you don't even know if he's a "purebred" 'pit bull". Without getting a dog from an honest, knowledgable, & reputable owner/breeder, you don't know what kind of dogs went into the making of your dog.

He's a gorgeous dog & I'm glad you rescued him. But do you understand what "rescue" means? It means no one wanted him. And now you want to bring more unwanted, uneeded, & very possibly mixed breed dogs into the world? Doesn't sound too smart.

I own & raise APBTs. I also have some rescues. In particular, I have one rescue that is absolutely amazing. She's all white & all deaf. She has her CGC, passed the ATT, & is a certified therapy dog. She has a gorgeous head & beautiful big brown eyes. But there is absolutely NO way in hell that I would even consider breeding her! There are thousands of gorgeous pet quality "pit bulls" dying every day across America. Why cause more to die?

I want to clarify that I do own, show, hunt with, & occasionally breed APBTs. But it takes at least 3 years of consideration that goes into the breeding of a single dog. And most don't make the cut. Why? Because one, ALL my dogs are registered w/known geneology. They must be as close to perfect to the ADBA conformation comparison as poss (not UKC b/c they change their dimentions based on the current fad of the season). They MUST work well above average. They must prove themselves in working ability time & time again. Then I think about how that dog would improve upon the breed's traits. I think about how the breeding would contribute to future dogs & the breed. The dog is at least 3 yrs of age before any of this is known. After years of consideration, then I still only take the best of the best. And as for where the puppies go, well, nowhere. I don't breed to sell & I don't breed to give away. I breed to better my dogs, better my yard, & better the breed. Occasionally, I will "adopt" out a spayed/neutered pup to a friend who is capable of owning the breed. But that's all. If I can't keep all the pups, then I don't breed. Period.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts