Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We assumed when we took nelson to the river that ALL dogs know how to swim and that it just comes naturally. but check out this video.. he's cool and calm when he can touch the ground and he can swim fine, but as soon as he realises that he can no longer touch the ground, he panics and legs go everywhere trying to keep his head above water! i can't help but laugh everytime i see this video he looks so cute! we're just gonna keep taking him to the river and let him go a little at a time into the deep end coz we don't want to scare him out of the water completely coz swimming seems to be great exercise for him.

http://media.putfile.com/Swimming37

and jsut so u know we're not being mean and forcing him to go into the water, check him out fetching his floating kong toy. he lurrves the water!.. just not the deep end. ;)

http://media.putfile.com/beach-fetch

ps sorry the video is sideways, my stupid camera on my mobile took it sideways and i can't rotate the video at all. so u have to watch it with your head tilted. oh and also sorry bout the parts where the camera goes all over the place, it was because Nelson was splahing too close to me and i had to hold the camera over my head to keep it dry.

pps. thanks to HausMommy for telling me how to post videos :D

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I can't view movies cause my stinky dial-up connection but I can just imagine lol. Some dogs aren't good swimmers at all and do need to be taught how to swim or they need a doggy life jacket. Abby learned on her own when her choc. lab friend was chacing the stick in the water that she wanted, she jumped in the water and just started swimming. But when we went to the lake I had to go in the water with her and hold her up, letting her paws paddle while I was hold her. I then only held her back end and let her paddle with her front and then let go. She absolutely hates water, and will try to avoid it when she can. But it really is great for there muscles and it's good to tire them out too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
funny!
Rocky does the same thing.
I once took him to a reservoir, it was hilarious (a little scarey at the same time)
I wish I had a lake nearby so that can practice.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Heidi has the same toy!!! She loves it. She used to swim the same way also and I would always run over and try to save her because it looks like they're gonna flip over backwards. She figured it out eventually, your's will too. Looks like you got a water dog on your hands! If he didn't like it, he would have jumped out right away. My other dog, Chico, hides when we go in the pool.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My parents pug can not swim for crap...he tries and he has the movements down it just doesn't work for him. He has to wear a life jacket...he gets in and starts kicken and paddlen and his butt just slowly starts sinking...until all that is left above is his head and he is pointing down at the bottom...then in goes the head and he can't get back up! He could swim when he was a pup but I think it has to do with their odd body shape and fat asses or something! I feel bad for him though!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
cfhoftampa said:
My parents pug can not swim for crap...he tries and he has the movements down it just doesn't work for him. He has to wear a life jacket...he gets in and starts kicken and paddlen and his butt just slowly starts sinking...until all that is left above is his head and he is pointing down at the bottom...then in goes the head and he can't get back up! He could swim when he was a pup but I think it has to do with their odd body shape and fat asses or something! I feel bad for him though!
Pugs and English Bulldogs are not swimmers. I've heard of an english bulldog that fell into the owners pool when they werent supervising and drowned to death. There short noses are hard to hold above water. They should always be supervised and not left along with more than a foot of water.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel sorry for him when he's splashin all over the place trying to keep afloat, but then i don't want to go to his rescue all the time, i want him to learn himself. If we're there to pick him up each time he panics then he's not gonna learn ...although he IS always just within our reach if he DOES sink to the bottom. just like riding a bike, we gotta let go and let him do it himself.

We'll keep taking him to the river, and hopefully in a few months, i'll be able to post a pic of Nelson swimming confidently in the deep end! fingers crossed! :D

i really really don't want him to have to wear doggy floaties! LOL (i can just picture it now!) i'd rather him just stay away from the water all together than have to damage the poor dear's ego and rugged bulldog status by making him wear floaties!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have one!!

When we took April to the lake this summer for the first time with us I didn't even consider the possibility that she couldn't swim, all dogs can swim right, boy were we wrong.

But she loves the water so we'll just keep trying like you.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL!! that is sooo cute!! she's really stuggling there isn't she?

so since u keep taking her back is she learning to swim? how long has it been?

·
Registered
52 Posts
i threw a stick in the lake for my pit to get and he decide he wanted to try and swim after some ducks then realized he was out to far and i was about to jump in clothes and all and get him but he started back and i was able to go down behind other neigbors houses and he made up to a rail type boat ramp then rested and swam to me while i layed on my stomach and reached down over a ledge and grabbed him by his harness and pull him up...i left the harness on just in case something like that happened and it did

·
Registered
226 Posts
4NGI3 said:
LOL!! that is sooo cute!! she's really stuggling there isn't she?

so since u keep taking her back is she learning to swim? how long has it been?
Unfortunatley we never made it back to the lake yet, but we are looking forward to when it starts warming up again.
She scared the Sh!t out of us though because she kept trying to go back in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts