Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our female went in for cherry eye surgery. While under the anesthesia, something else came out 4", a penius. At this point we are trying to get as much information regarding this condition as possible. Does anyone have any information or experience with this type of problem. Tootsie has become an important part of our family. We need some guidance. Our vet says she will need the surgery to correct this and it won't be known whether she will be a female or a male, it all depends on what urniary track is being used.

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
That is not something that I have heard of before. I agree with Leeann,
your dog doesn't care so what ever seems natural for the dog is what I
would go with. Best of luck on the surgery.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Yeah, we had a foster dog who was hermaphrodytic - a beagle. Something looked strange when she came in, and we thought something had prolapsed until they went in for her spay and found testicles inside her abdomen. Evidently it was a specialized surgery because of the positioning of the penis, but once it was all done, she healed up just fine. Like everyone else said, dogs don't have gender identification issues anyway - she will always be your Tootsie. If you would like more details of the surgery, I may be able to put you in touch with her foster mom and she could maybe give you some more first-hand information.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Wow. You learn something new every day. I mean, of course I have heard of this happening with humans, but I guess I never thought of it happening with dogs. Does she really need the surgery to correct it? It's not necessary for her health, is it? She is still functional this way, I would assume.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
We were told with Georgia that it was absolutely necessary. Though I don't remember why. :-k (You can tell she was someone else's foster, huh?)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
augrad said:
We were told with Georgia that it was absolutely necessary. Though I don't remember why. :-k (You can tell she was someone else's foster, huh?)
I would assume it was because retained testicles are highly likely to become cancerous since they are kept at body temp when they are designed to be kept cooler (hence the purpose of the scrotal sac).

However, I would think that the vet would suggest a corrective surgery & one that would most probably make your dog a "female". But it all depends. There are oh so many details that have to be considered but I would assume you might be on your way to a doggie urologist with your pup. Good luck & please keep us informed on he he/she's doing.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Miakoda said:
augrad said:
I would assume it was because retained testicles are highly likely to become cancerous since they are kept at body temp when they are designed to be kept cooler (hence the purpose of the scrotal sac).

However, I would think that the vet would suggest a corrective surgery & one that would most probably make your dog a "female". But it all depends. There are oh so many details that have to be considered but I would assume you might be on your way to a doggie urologist with your pup. Good luck & please keep us informed on he he/she's doing.
:-k That makes sense.............WOW :shock: I have never heard that before

1 - 13 of 13 Posts