Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any sort of doghouse (dog-safe) heater ? I've got a small heater in the ventilated (vents closed in winter) crawl space under my house as insurance the pipes don't freeze. I've thought about running a 4" duct from a vent to the doghouse, just to keep it reasonably comfortable in there, but maybe someone knows of something made especially for dog houses ?

·
Super Moderator
15,983 Posts
I would check with an electrician to see what they know and to make sure it is safe. :)

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I'd check the carbon monoxide output in the heater for under the house, unless it was made for indoor use. Otherwise, if you can't pipe the warm air in, those mats look nice, just may need to put it under something to ensure the dogs cant chew it.. If you are feeling REALLY handy, you could pour a concrete slab, and have installed a radient heated system in it. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter. (just alot of work)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention it's a thermastatically controlled shop electric heater so carbon monoxide won't be a problem. I found another small round electric one. All the electrical part would be under the house surrounded by foundation blocks so Sassy couldn't get to anything but the ducting. I like the pad but I wonder how strong the steel wrapped wiring attachment point is to the ABS heat pad ? Sassy can remove bricks and heavy gauge wire epoxied to concrete block so this connection would have to be strong. I'll look locally and see if I can find one to check out up close.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found something like I had heard about, it's called a Hound Heater... http://www.gundogsupply.com/hound-heater-ii-ultimate.html#more

Years ago I had read about making one out of a metal coffee can, a socket, and a light bulb. Works like an Easy Bake Oven kids use. I'm expecting a phone call from the company to answer a few questions. Whan I get them, I'll add to this post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts