Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took Heidi in for a check-up and the vet said she looked pretty good considering all she has been through. Her heart was beating a bit irregularly but he said that is pretty normal for dogs with organophosphate toxicity. Also there was a bit of blood in her stool. He drew some blood to check if her liver and pancreas are ok. He was concerned about liver problems, I guess this is the most common long term effect. Also she still has some weakness in her hind legs. He said it could take anywhere from 1 to 3 months to see a full recovery.

I'm pretty bummed out because we had a little clash about what she should be eating. As some of you know, I had been feeding high quality kibble with some stuff added for one meal a day and raw for the other. We had been doing this for about a month with great results. I mainly started feeding this way because I was concerned ever since Chico was diagnosed with hip dysplasia. Although it is hereditary, it can also be caused by environmental things like diet.

Since Heidi has a bit of pancreatitis from the poisoning, I've been cooking her low fat chicken and turky mixed with barly (she won't touch rice). I also add pureed veggies with a little bit of yogurt so that she'll eat it. From everything that I've read, she needs low fat protein mixed with a lot of fiber. I'm not crazy about feeding a lot of grain but I guess it helps with pancreatitis. Well anyways, the vet wants me to feed Heidi Science Diet I/D. #-o The idea of this just makes me cringe. He felt that I was spoiling Heidi too much by giving her a home cooked meal. I don't understand how it could be considerred spoiling, it's not like I'm slipping food under the table or anything.

What do you guys think? The way I look at it is I'm trying to prevent further damage to Heidi's system by feeding her the best quality food for her situation. I really don't want her to have major problems down the line with her pancreas and liver. This could leed to diabetes and this would be devistating. I'm a bit irritated because I feel the vet is pretty ignorant about diet and nutrition. It's hard to feel confident with him when I don't agree with the way he wants to treat Heidi. I have an appointment for Chico to go to a hollistic vet tomorow for his hips. If it works out I think I may change Heidi over too.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I'm glad to hear she is doing better,

SCREW the vet! if you don't mind cooking that for her, keep doing it, its probably the best for her. She deserves to be spoiled :lol: Definately not science diet!!

I hope your visit with the new vet goes good!

Good luck

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
As long as the diet you're giving her is not hard on her pancreas, then go for it. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
As long as you are certain what you are cooking is best for her condition, I agree SCREW the vet. I believe that not only vets but MD’s as well are pretty ignorant about nutrition, they’re all about drugs. While I’m not knocking modern medicine, I don’t believe that they have a proper nutrition or alternative therapy background. Not only for my dog but even for myself I will first try the “home” herbal/nutritional remedy, as long as it’s not life threatening, before going to modern medicine or drugs. Spoiling her **I almost cursed**, you are doing what is best for her. Are you kidding me, **almost cursed again** Science Diet?

ps – you’re girl is lucky you cook, my poor Stymie would starve if I had to cook for him, even better can you imagine the gas from mac & cheese every night?

Good luck with the new vet, but I would keep the old one too.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the "backup" you guys! That Science Diet crap is going in the can. I just don't feel good about giving something to my dog that I know is full of byproducts and crap. I too have my doubts about all the drugs and "quick fixes". Usually, all the drugs do is mask underlying problems. At some point, that problem will arise again and be much worse. I am grateful for the drugs in emergency situations but other than that, I'd try to solve it the old fashion way. In the emergency room, they basically just pumped her full of charcoal. It's interesting that something like charcoal saved Heidi's life. I guess it provides a buffer and coats all the organs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We use charcoal in the emergency room all the time on people , it basically binds the chemicals that haven't been absorbed into the bloodstream and you eliminate it out the GI tract .

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mjh68 said:
We use charcoal in the emergency room all the time on people , it basically binds the chemicals that haven't been absorbed into the bloodstream and you eliminate it out the GI tract .
It's pretty cool for us non-medical people to here about this stuff. It's exciting to see that common things like charcoal can save lives!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I agree, vets are just people too. There are bad ones and good ones. When I took Mo in last week the vet was immediately up in Mo's face, before he even had a chance to smell him. Mo, who is even tempered, seemed a little suprised. He said Mo was 'mouthy' and stubborn. I was like, you jerk, you didn't even let him look at you before you were grabbing his face. I couldn't help but thinking for a vet, how could this guy be so clueless about dog behavior and still be considered a professional?

Plus there is a pride in the advice and action taken by members of this forum that goes beyond just necessity. Maybe vets give people the bare minimum course of action becuase that is more than they can usually expect owners to do. Or they just could be pushing for sales of SD. :roll:

Do what gives you peace of mind about your dogs. No one loves them more than you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am so happy that Heidi is OK!

I would stick with what you are doing. Vets are like a$$holes, you have to have one, but sometimes what comes out of them really pisses you off!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
cannon said:
He said Mo was 'mouthy' and stubborn.
Bella's old vet told me this when Bella was FOUR MONTHS OLD!!! It's like, "Hello, she's a puppy. It's what they do." She told me I better enroll her in obediences classes immediately to get her under control.

Amber: I'm so glad to hear about how much better Heidi is feeling. I'd say feed Heidi what you're comfortable feeding her and what she does well on. You're not spoiling her...you're helping her system recover from serious trauma! I don't think I'd ever take nutrition advice from a vet who pushes Hills.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Yeah I'm with the rest -- the vet has been conditioned to offer whatever promotion they get kickbacks from. Keep doing what you're doing! Nutrition is not their strong point!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts