Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everone! First off I would like to thank everyone on this site for all of the great advice and knowledge, I have been reading this forum for a while now, and have learned tons from all of your help!

Ok, my girlfriend and I bought two AB's a few months ago, one girl, one boy. We bought them from a POS breeder that sold us puppies that were only 3 weeks old! (yes we are trying to report her and get her into trouble, but thats a whole nother story) Our babies are now comming up on 4 months old. We were curious, what age should AB's be house-broken, know there names, sit on command, and any other associated things pups should do.

Thanks in advance :)[/img]

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Every dog is different, some dogs can be house broken easy and some can be stubborn as heck. Most dogs are about 90% house broken by 6 months, atleast in my experience with dogs.

With commands, again every dog is different some learn it easier than most. But around six months most dogs know how to do the basics like sit, down, no and wait.

Also, I think dogs should be knowing their names by the first few months of living with you. If you call them different names like baby, or buddy etc they can get confused and not really know when to come when you actually call their real name.

·
Super Moderator
16,010 Posts
Yeah - it does not take long for them to know their name. A long time ago, I had a poodle who had two puppies and I named one of them Pup-Pup. Whenever I wanted him to come, all I had to do was call "here Pup-Pup" and he would run so fast that I would laugh every time. My heart broke when it was time for him to leave.:cry: He was 8 weeks old when his new owners came to take him to their home. So he learned his name by the time he could walk/run. Now is the time to start training them on house manners. Pottying outside, sitting, wearing a color and using a leash, laying down and staying in place. They do learn at different rates but the earlier you get them started the easier it is to train them. Just ask these different things from them through the course of a day, each day and pretty soon it will be natural as rain to them. :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
My Max has been about 90% house trained since 11-12 weeks, and he knows quite a few comands (and I heard it was hard to train a bulldog, not so with mine, and many others on this site!). I think it really depends on the dog....some are eager to please, and some have their own ideas, LOL. It's good to hear that house training came easy for you too!!! :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Jaeger has been really good. We got him when he was 10 weeks. He crate trained immediately, and house trained by 11 weeks. He sits and paws at the door to go outside.

He is now 14 weeks and knows several commands: setz (sit), platz (down), off, wait (to come out of his crate or go in/out of the door), bleib (stay), aus (stop chasing the cats or drop what is in his mouth), side (lay on his side), relax (settle down), kennel (to go in his crate), empty (go to the bathroom), load up (get in the vehicle), heir (come), bringen (bring object), revere (retrieve) ,and he is getting better at heel (walk on the left) and fuss (walk on the right). He starts protection training in two weeks, but he is already on puppy tugs.

My Akita and Min Pin were way slower at learning. I love bullies. They are so friggin smart.

·
Registered
9 Posts
wow!

ultimatek9
sounds like you really know what your doing
any books or places for info
got a female ab 8 going on 9 weeks no where close to commands still trying to potty train actually this maybe off the subject but it seems like she is working backwards almost
when we first got her she seemed almost insticntive about going outside now way more prown to go inside
and even trying to eat her movements from time to time
this is scring me a bit
any advice great ly appreciated

·
Registered
320 Posts
Tara,

Is there any way you might not be paying attention to her cues as much, or letting her out as often as you used to?? With my old dog he was PEFFECTLY potty trained pretty young, so we started getting a little more relaxed about listenting to his cues, or letting him out often enough, and stopped giving a TON of praise (we just sort of expected him to go out because he was doing so well) and then he started having accidents again.

This time around with Max we have really stayed on top of it, and now even though he hasn't had even one accident in 2 weeks, we still try to let him out often, and try to guess the times he will go.....like, as soon as he gets up from a nap, about 10 minutes after a big drink of water, and about 15 minutes after he eats his meals, and a few in between if we think he might have to go potty. But I do have to give him a LOT of credit because he doesn't use a crate at all, and can still hold it for over 8 hours through the night since 11 weeks (every morning I still go ape nuts for him with the praise right after he goes, LOL).

Whatever the reason, your pupp will get the hang of it again!!! :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
ultimatek9 said:
Jaeger has been really good. We got him when he was 10 weeks. He crate trained immediately, and house trained by 11 weeks. He sits and paws at the door to go outside.

He is now 14 weeks and knows several commands: setz (sit), platz (down), off, wait (to come out of his crate or go in/out of the door), bleib (stay), aus (stop chasing the cats or drop what is in his mouth), side (lay on his side), relax (settle down), kennel (to go in his crate), empty (go to the bathroom), load up (get in the vehicle), heir (come), bringen (bring object), revere (retrieve) ,and he is getting better at heel (walk on the left) and fuss (walk on the right). He starts protection training in two weeks, but he is already on puppy tugs.

My Akita and Min Pin were way slower at learning. I love bullies. They are so friggin smart.
Woah that is awsome, why do you use another language, or is that made up words?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Out of the books I have read the ones I would definitely recommend reading are: The Dog's Mind (I think it is by Bruce Fogle), The Art of Raising A Puppy (by the Monks of New Skete), How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend (by the Monks of New Skete), and Cesar's Way (by Cesar Milan). I also liked The Dog That Loved To Much (no idea who wrote it), it is a good book about anxiety disorders and weird behavioral issues.

I started apprenticing with a professional trainer and behaviorist when I was 16, and have been working with dogs professionally now for about five years.
Most of my dogs' obedience and protection commands are in German and Italian. There are a couple of reasons: these words are not used in everyday language and I found that dogs tend to get desensitized to commands when they hear them all the time with no meaning; and they are not commonly used by others therefore when we are at a park and every other owner is yelling "fluffy come on, come on fluffy, please come fluffy", I can simply command Hier! and all of my dogs respond immediately.

The method that I always use with puppies (or new dogs) is called the umbilical cord method. Basically, the dog is on a collar/harness and leash (no more than six feet long), the other end of the leash is hooked around my waist. This teaches the dog to pay attention to you and follow your every movement. It also gives you ability to watch and read their behavior to see when they need to go out. I also teach my dogs a cue word (i.e. outside) to encourage them to go to the door and sit (or bark, scratch, ring the bell, whatever). They then start associating this behavior with the urge to go to the bathroom. This method also keeps them out of harms way, as far as getting into stuff or chewing.

Plus, I am lucky enough to get to bring my dogs to work for socialization and training throughout the day. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts