Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're here in Central Nebraska (It's a VERY HOT July day) and I'm glad to find a "home" for my doggie questions. We've had Chopper about 9 months now, rescued from a really bad situation. Had a little trouble at first with bad anxiety problems, but he's finally decided we're dependable enough, I guess. He's a wonderful family pet.

I started looking for a forum because of his shedding. I mean, I expected it in the spring, but at this point he's pretty bald on his tummy and arm pits and it's going to his face. I'm watching for too much itching to see if it's allergy related. any ideas out there? Like I said, it's really hot here, but this started before it was overly hot.

Nice to meet you all! I'll be visiting the forum often!

Lisa and Chopper

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Welcome! Chopper is a handsome guy. I'm partial to his name since I have a Chopper myself. :wink: What type of food do you feed him?Maybe it's a food allergy.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Welcome Lisa and Chopper!!!!!
:wave:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kasco,

The vet decided he was a little overweight, so we put him on Science Diet Lite in April. Then with the hair loss and he did lose weight, I changed him to the regular Science Diet. Someone suggested putting a little veg. oil in his food and that would help his coat, so I did that a bit, but I don't think it's made any difference.

Vet did check him for hypothyroid, too, but said it came back normal...

hmmm..

Lisa

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Welcome!!! Science Diet is not a very good quality food and could be the cause of his problems. Especially since it happened right when you switched him. Check out the sticky thread in the health section about food and also check out the new topic in the health section called "what a difference!" which is started by Kasco. It gives some information on vets and why they suggest these not so great foods and also gives a list of some great foods and why.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Orson was shedding in CLUMPS, to the point of bald spots!
I switched him to DVP duck/potato for allergies and started to give him
3 fish oil pills alternate with 3 flax seed pills a day also 2 vitamin E pills a day.
Dont know what it is that works, but he sheds very little now and has a shiney coat.
Welcome anyways! :wave:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts