Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lol:

Hi everybody. I'm new to these boards (this is my first post). My family has had labradors and golden retrievers my whole life growing up (awesome dogs). I'm 21 years old right now. My first dog was a Daschund mix with something else. He's currently my parents dogs. Anyways on to the good stuff...

My friend has 2 "pitbulls", a male and a female. The female is about a year and a half younger then the male. Here is a picture of them.

They are both very sweet dogs. The male especially will greet anyone with powerful licks to the face lol.. The female doesn't like other dogs but love people. The male doesn't mind other dogs. Anyway they had an "accidental" litter and before they knew it they had 5 beautiful puppies (4 males, 1 female). Here is a pic.

So I thought about it for a second.. I've always wanted a dog that will do just about anything with me. Road trips, long walks, camping, etc etc and at the same time be friendly to new people. (boy that Daschund DOES NOT want to see anybody that he doesn't know..!!). So I jumped on the opportunity. I received "grizzly" at 6 wks of age. He's 7 wks today. Theres been ups and downs already hehe well heres a pic!

So far we have established a routine. He does not do ANYTHING in the house as long as I follow the routine. Anytime he wakes up from a nap he WILL go pee. If I fail to let him out he WILL go inside. I'm curious about when he will start to understand that I take him outside for a reason?

He has his toys and plays with them BUT he also loves to play with my pants and peoples hand when he's being petted. Occasionaly he will just lick your hands to death but ussualy he'll just bite/nibble them and those puppy teeth are sharp! Any ways to reduce this? I ussualy pick him up and say no and put him down near a toy (he ussualy charges back to me though). The owner of the parents told me the one I picked ended up being the alpha (I picked that one at 2 wks of age). I have an outdoors kennel for him. I'm wondering how safe is it to leave him outside for long periods of time with him just being 7 wks old. He'll cry for a minute or two but then falls asleep. He seems bored.

Anyway I better wrap this up because i'ts long and probably boring.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

TIA

Fabio

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
First off, Welcome!

Secondly, at 7 weeks, he should NOT be left outside. Heck he should still be with his Momma for at LEAST another week. There are too many things that could happen to him if he is left outside unsupervised. Someone could steal him, another animal could get into the kennel and hurt or kill him, etc

Llike I mentioned above, he should still be with his Momma for at least another week. This is in part because Momma will teach him socilization skills. The Mother dog will usually teach bite inhabition (not to bite), but seeing as he was taken from his mother before she was able to teach him that, it's up to you to do it. There is alot of great info on here about teaching bite inhabition. Just do a search and you'll find it. Puppies teath for about 6 months. You will need to supply him with sturdy chew toys. Avoid raw hides or anything he can bite pieces off of.

Puppies will have to go potty after they wake up, after they eat, and after they are done playing. So figure about every 2 hours or so. Crating him will help with housebreaking as well as gives him a safe secure place to stay when he's left alone instead of in a kennel in out in the yard. You will want a crate that will be big enough for him to stand up in and turn around. Speaking from experiance, buy one that will fit him when he's grown up. Just section off part of it to fit him now. If he has room in the crate to potty and not have to lay in it, he will go potty in there. Don't expect him to be completly potty trained until he's at LEAST 6 months old. Some dogs train earlier, others later. Each dog is different. A crate really helps with house training. Just never use the crate as punishment. You want the crate to be his den or safe place. Give him a toy or two while he's in there to keep him occupied.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

There was complications with the female (she wasn't eating at all) and possibly had an infection. The vet told the owner to start feeding the puppies and take em off the mom milk. At that point it was hard for him to keep them away from the nipples so he started calling the future owners and asked if they could take them early. He WAS going to give it to me at 8wks but I didn't think anything of it, I was just doing him a favor. Right now he's been eating Eukaneuba wet food up until yesterday I started mixing in dry food with it. He loves it.

I'll do a search in a bit to see if I can find how to teach him "bite inhabition". Thanks for the info. Also he does have a crate inside and it works great. That is how he never goes in the house :wink: .. he also sleeps there at night. The thing is I have "french doors" in my room that lead to an outside patio. I built a fence and now the outside patio is fenced in (the floor is cement). It has shade and a few toys. Sometimes I'll have to run to the store or what not and i'll put him there for some time. It's just that when he goes outside he'll play for 5 minutes, then cry for about 2 minutes.. and then fall asleep. Just seems boring out there for him..

Either way i'll try not to do that unless I really have to. It's either that or the crate, but he cries in the crate much longer then outside. The outside patio is about 12' x 14'. He DOES go potty there but I notice he doesn't like to even though its huge for his size. For example he was there this morning for about 30 minutes and when I put him over the fence and walked with him around the backyard and he immediatly went to pee and then pooped..

Well thanks for reading i'll go search now.

Fabio

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The parents are gorgeous! Especially the dad. I'm glad they found homes for all the pups.

And your pup is gorgeous! I love the tan with the slightly darker brindling.

Check out the food sticky in the health section and read up on some better foods then what you are feeding him now. There is lots of great advice in there.

sounds like your on the right track with the routine and everything. I can't wait to see more pictures!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

More pics? Sure..

Him and a friends 5 mo. old miniature pinscher..

Here is the Daschund being a little curious..

Different angle..

Here is the dad (pimped out)

and mom and dad when younger

I wish i had better ones of Grizzly.. his coat is very beautiful..

thanks for the welcomes again..

·
Registered
465 Posts
Welcome to the forums and you sound like you heading it the right way with your dogs. He is very handsome and looks like hes gonna be a big boy

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Daddy is a big ol' brute, he looks great.

Your pup is adorable, you can tell he's got some confidence already!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
7 wks today

Well i'm not sure how accurate this is, but I weight myself on the scale and then I picked him up and my weight went up roughly 10 pounds. maybe 9 1/2lbs. is there a chart somewhere with average sizes depending on age?

this little guy is great i took him for a walk today (with a leash) and he listens very good. also he knows sit already. i thought him last night with some treats. this morning i tried to make him sit again and he did it after maybe 5 "sits". repetition, repetition!

thx for the comments too im very proud of this lil dog. even tho he bites my hand all the time :oops:

well ttyl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts