Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for ideas/help on getting my 17 week old AB Bella house trained. I have had 2 dogs before Bella and never really had issues house training until now. Bella is in a crate during the day while I am at work and usually doesn't have any accidents. Once I am home the problems start. I don't think she has made it one night since I have had her without an accident. I take her out every 15-20 minutes and she still has accidents, a large majority of the time she gives no warning.

I am doing something wrong? What else can I do to get her trained? I know she is still young but I never had any issues like this with my other 2 dogs when they were her age. Any help/ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
Brodie had some trouble with this also, mostly because he gave no warning either. We decided to try training him to ding a bell we hung on the back door to tell him he needed to go out. (apparently he would sit quietly by the door a couple of minutes, see we werent moving and go about his business inside). We hung the bell, and every time we went to take him out, we would shake it a time or two, and wait for him to touch it. He would with his nose, we would praise him, and then open the door and immediately take him to his "spot". After only a couple of days, he was ringing it on his own, and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
We also use the bell.Buster is not a barker and would sit by the door and if we were not right there we wouldn't know so I hung bells by the front and back door and when he had to go out I myself would ring the bell and say outside which is his word for potty then I would take his paw and have him ring the bell say outside again make a big fuss and praise and let him out.I did this all day and by the end of the day he picked up on it and it has worked like a charm ever since.I bought the bigger bells so he wouldn't be tempted to eat them.You also have to stick to a schedule.Every time you let her out and she goes give lots of praise and reward her with a small treat.That young the tend to go often so they need to be let out a lot during the day.If you are unable to keep an eye on her crate her this way there wont be any accidents and as soon as you let her out of the crate right outside.You may want to hang bells int eh crate as well which is what I also did.
Just dont forget let out often, praise, reward.You will get there and if she doesn't bark to let you know she has to go out try the bells
:wink:

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Well I can tell you these are not the easiest dogs to house train. They do not like to leave your sight and they do not like to tell you they have to go. These are very smart dogs so it has nothing to do with their intelligence. One thing I found with Clara when I was training her is to make sure she pees when she goes out and not just plays. Because then she would come in and "PEE". Took a few times before I figured her out on that one. Clara still will not bark to go out, instead she comes up and nuzzels my elbow. They just do not like to make noise to let you know, don't know why. Make sure you are taking her often and that you are staying with her until she is done. I also found that crating Clara during this training time helped if I could not keep an eye on her such as: being on the computer, fixing dinner, washing clothes, etc. Hope this helps. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts