Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I adopted my dog from the pound about 2 months ago. She was dropped off at the shelter with no info, and they were unable to determine if she was altered. When I took her to the vet, she was unsure as well b/c vets are getting so good at the surgery, and if its done at a very young age there is hardly a scare at all. The vet. suggested not doing a surgery b/c she was 75% sure that she had been altered. The vet left me with some advice on what to be looking for if she had not been altered....but nothing concrete.
In the last week or so I noticed that her female parts are slightly swollen and she has been licking herself more often. Today when I came home and let her our of her kennel I noticed after she layed down on the floor there was a small wet spot that had a slightly pink hue. I "wiped" her with a white paper towel and noticed a pink hue there as well.

Now I'm worried that A) she has a bladder infection, or B) she's in heat!

She hasn't acted like it hurts her to go potty...so....????

I'm going to continue to do research online and call my vet. on Monday, but in the meantime I'm worried!

Does anyone have more knowlege around this? Or some websites I could check out?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
When Shelby went into heat it was very similar to how you're describing. Just ensure you keep her with you at all times when she is outside, and definately keep her on a leash. Don't even let her out in a fenced in yard because they can still get pregnant through the fence. We didn't realize until it was too late that a german shepherd had been camping outside underneath our deck, and the first chance he got he got ahold of her, and bada boom bada bang we had some boxer/german shepherd pups! :shock:

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
That does sound like she's starting a heat. I would go ahead and get her spayed. It will cost more to spay her while she's in heat, but it's less trouble than a month of heat and a litter of pups, for sure! Hey - if it's the same vet, maybe he won't charge the extra $$ since he told you it didn't need to be done.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Sounds like it is her time. Get a old pair of underwears, cut a hole for the tail, put a maxi pad in the underwear and put on the dog. You will have to fasten it with a hairtie or safty pin. Keep on her except to go potty. Like you said call the vet and make an appointment. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
That's a heat alright. I'm surprised at a vet who would recommend not doing a surgery because he/she thought the dog was spayed already, when it was a rescued dog!
Either keep her under LOCK AND KEY, and spay her RIGHT after she's done spotting (just in case she got pregnant), or spay her now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice! i was under the impression that she couldn't be spayed while in heat. hopefully i can try to get her in for an appointment asap!!
thanks again...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
India's Mom said:
thanks for the advice! i was under the impression that she couldn't be spayed while in heat. hopefully i can try to get her in for an appointment asap!!
thanks again...
Some vets will, some won't. It usually does cost a bit more since there's more blood flow to the uterus during that time. But as I said, too, you can keep her under wraps until she's OUT of heat, then have it done just after her heat is over. Talk to your vet and see what he/she recommends!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
debs said:
Sounds like it is her time. Get a old pair of underwears, cut a hole for the tail, put a maxi pad in the underwear and put on the dog. You will have to fasten it with a hairtie or safty pin. Keep on her except to go potty. Like you said call the vet and make an appointment. Good luck.
Although I appreciate this advice, I don't think my dog does... :?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Off topic slightly, but what a cute pic! Poor girl looks a tad depressed. Now is it the PMS or the pink panties that did it, lol.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kismet said:
Off topic slightly, but what a cute pic! Poor girl looks a tad depressed. Now is it the PMS or the pink panties that did it, lol.

I think it was both! She didn't want to have anything to do with me...I think she was mad at me for putting on the panties. I got her a real doggie diaper shortly after the picture, and she seems to be getting used to it.

Thanks agiain to all for the help this weekend. And btw, my vet. won't spay her until 4 months after her heat.....is that normal?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
i NEVER HEARD OF THAT. mY VET WILL DO IT RIGHT AFTER. HE WILL DO IT DURING BUT LIKES IT BETTER WHEN THEY ARE DONE.

·
Registered
175 Posts
4 months after is a little odd. I've never heard that before. Being that dogs generally come into heat every 6 months, that would put her close to her next heat. I'm involved with rescue and have spayed very young pups, and bitches in heat with no problems. I'd maybe try another vet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts