Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16wk old AmStaff, and at the best of times, hes like a tornado of destruction! Which is great, aslong as he destroys his toys, and not my furnature!

Now, the problem comes when we go for a walk. We can be walked along, all good and dandy, when my little bundle of joy will decide that he doesnt want to walk anymore, and will just sit down. Its like he is bored, and i tell you, no ammount of coaxing or talking to him will get him started. This only seems to happen when we are walking, when he is out playing with other pup's or friends young dogs in a controlled environment, he is gogogo 100% for aslong as he can until he drops. He is not stiff or sore, and has great hips.
Its almost like he just gets into the frame of mind "im not walking, you cant make me, so you better carry me".

Any tips to keep him going? I thought it was to do with his collar, so got him a little harness, but that hasnt seemed to fix the issue :)

I also try and put my hand under his tummy and push him along, but he just sits down again and looks at you, its quite cute, unless you are 1 mile from the car and he weighs over 30lb :)

Cheers!

Steve

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He isnt :)

It can be 5 meters from home, or over a mile. Its totally random. I also normally carry water with me and a little dish if we are far from home, like at the beach or something.

Steve

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Abby did the same thing as a puppy. 16 weeks is very young, a lot of puppies just like to sit down and stay there for a little while. I don't think there's anyways of coaxing them out of it, Abby just grew out of it. It's frustrating, but just remain calm and if you don't want to wait, bring a treat and hold it in front of his nose and put your hand under his belly and put him in a stand saying the "stand" command. Then continue to walk, patting your leg if you think he's going to lay down again.

Hope I helped you!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice Abby :p

I always forget to bring treats when i walk him! I think i keep forgetting that he is just a baby as he is quite big! i call him my little 4 legged ball of destruction :)

Ill try the treat thing :p

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts