Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Agent Squint
Joined
·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll that's what my trainer bellowed at me last saturday, I honestly found myself welling up :cry:

He asked us to put our dogs into a 2minute stay. I sat rox asked her to stay then timed it.......So did Emma with Daisy. We did a full 2 min stay :D......Then HE came over and shouted..."why are you just standing there, walk away from your dogs don't just stand there!" So we reposition the dogs in a stay...walked away and Rox moved so I put her back in stay...same was happening for Emma except daisy run the circuit saying hi to all the other dogs on her way back to me!.... 3 time this happened before he really shaouted at me and Emma :cry: He said "Your dogs have just walked all over you both....3 times, they got up and you kept putting back in a stay...You prize pratts, idiots! why keep putting them back in a stay when they get up a walk away? ...... I just looked at the floor while Emma argued with him....I just couldn't see where I had gone wrong :(

He told us to go home and work on our stays, but what are you suppose to do if a dog breaks her stay? I was to angry to approach him :lol:


On a good note Marlee had her first lesson that morning too, and she did so well, infact she was better then most of the pups which have been there for weeks :) he did a puppy play at the end, which we had to randomly break away with a recall which i thought was cool.....altho Marlee wan't too keen on playing, she wanted them to submit to her, she stood there in a stance sniffing the air, insteading of playing....The trainer walked around assessing the dogs on how they interacted, he didn't seem to bothered that most of the pups around Marlee were on their backs :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,788 Posts
I'd never go to a trainer whose techniques included yelling and belittling people. Why do you go to a trainer? To help get your dogs trained? You're paying for him to belittle and embarass you and your dogs!? Not happening...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Roxy said:
We'll that's what my trainer bellowed at me last saturday, I honestly found myself welling up :cry:

He asked us to put our dogs into a 2minute stay. I sat rox asked her to stay then timed it.......So did Emma with Daisy. We did a full 2 min stay :D......Then HE came over and shouted..."why are you just standing there, walk away from your dogs don't just stand there!" So we reposition the dogs in a stay...walked away and Rox moved so I put her back in stay...same was happening for Emma except daisy run the circuit saying hi to all the other dogs on her way back to me!.... 3 time this happened before he really shaouted at me and Emma :cry: He said "Your dogs have just walked all over you both....3 times, they got up and you kept putting back in a stay...You prize pratts, idiots! why keep putting them back in a stay when they get up a walk away? ...... I just looked at the floor while Emma argued with him....I just couldn't see where I had gone wrong :(

He told us to go home and work on our stays, but what are you suppose to do if a dog breaks her stay? I was to angry to approach him :lol:


On a good note Marlee had her first lesson that morning too, and she did so well, infact she was better then most of the pups which have been there for weeks :) he did a puppy play at the end, which we had to randomly break away with a recall which i thought was cool.....altho Marlee wan't too keen on playing, she wanted them to submit to her, she stood there in a stance sniffing the air, insteading of playing....The trainer walked around assessing the dogs on how they interacted, he didn't seem to bothered that most of the pups around Marlee were on their backs :lol:
Your trainer is a tiny-weenied ass! Why give a bully your money.

1. If your dog breaks a long stay when you walk away it is simply because he is not ready to be challenged at that leve. Go back to toes to toes and proof him there. Then go to the end of your leash and proof him there.

2. If your dog breaks his stay say nothing, give him not attention. Go back, make loope (walk around yourself, for example), re-position. Ask for a stay then stay there yourself.

ARRRRR I despise butthead trainers.

Paula
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,500 Posts
Why don't you find a GOOD trainer. A trainer that is interested in training the person who wants his dog to be trained. I would NEVER EVER go to someone that is mean, yells and treats you like you are a piece of _________(you can fill in the blank).
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,976 Posts
I have to agree with the others. A trainer who yells and belittles people is not much of a trainer.
We do not want our dogs treated that way and we should not be treated that way either. If you have paid him a set amount for the course and cannot get a refund, then you need to stand your ground with him and demand to be talked to respectfully. Either that or revert to the school yard taunts of "It takes one to know one".
:lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
this really angers me!

How DARE he call you names... you are only doing what they are teaching you!!!

Our trainers at OB school are pretty good... but there is one old lady trainer - TRISH - "whose been training dogs for 28 years" who is just SO rude and blunt... she has made one girl walk off in a huff with her puppy, never to return.

2 weeks ago, Trish told me off because my hair was not tied up...... ummmm it was WINDY and i didn't have a hair clip with me. She told me not to bother coming to training if my hair was obstructing my view!
She also told me never to wear my engagement and wedding bands to training because they may get lost in the field.... the way she said it was like i was a vain woman for wearing my rings to training! ( I NEVER TAKE THEM OFF!!!! I EVEN WENT SNORKELLING IN HAWAII WEARING THEM!)

She also YELLED at another girl because she gave her Bull mastiff X great Dane a hit on the bum for being naughty... she said if we were going to hit our dogs, do it off the ground, not at her training class...... this girl demanded a refund and left the premises... she wasn't at training yesterday..

Trish also told me that I need to be careful with Patch because Staffy's are an aggressive breed and could turn at any moment! This came from a lady whose Border Collie almost ATTACKED my Patch on day one of training!
Her justification for this comment - she has been attacked by pitt-bulls 3 times in her life.

I then quoted her Australian Statistics.... which show that the top 5 breeds for dog attacks in this country are from Border Collies, Labradors, Golden Retrievers, German Shephards, and cattle dogs!

This woman is SO pig-headed... she turned me off training. to tell you the truth, I sense that none of the other trainers like her either... but can't get rid of her cos she's been around so long and is a volunteer.

Lucky i haven't had her class since... and we've been pretty lucky with some really nice instructors!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
That makes me so mad! :evil:
Training is not only for the dog, but it is also to train the handler! And I bet this trainer is big on positive reinforcement for the animals, right? What about the humans? That would include NOT name calling. I would find out who their superior is and DEMAND a refund.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,671 Posts
I think in a way that if we are serious about getting the most out of our dogs that we need a trainer to get on our cases a bit. Let us know we are screwing up, being too soft, too slow with corrections etc etc. I have worked with a few hardcore trainers and these were/are the ones who helped me get the most out of my dogs. However, I think the line must be drawn with the name calling. Getting on your case about not correcting your dog or whatever is one thing but calling you an idiot is not acceptable. I would not be happy about that at all. JMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
Wow, your trainer sounds like a real peice Roxy. Like Lisa said being too soft no one really learns anything, but calling someone an idiot is not only rude but makes them seem 10x more like an a$$.

I give respect to trainers I talk to and work with, and I do expect the same in return. I have no problem telling a trainer exactly what he/she can do with themselves if they want to be rude and call me names.

People who take their dogs to training classes go there to improve their dogs skills and learn, not to be made fools off or called names etc.
 

·
Agent Squint
Joined
·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm really upset by this, I really don't want to find another trainer as he has worked wonders with Roxy :( guess I will have to be upfront with him! and this saturday, he can show me what I was doing wrong...he has never told me off for putting roxy back into a stay before :?

He worked for the RSPCA for a while doing home test...but they took him off it as He came back with 'should be capable of owning a goldfish' at the end of most of his reports :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
Maybe he just had a bad day or something....

When I was training my dogs and we were doing stays, they told me to put them back in a stay and start over.
 

·
Agent Squint
Joined
·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LifeIsDaPits said:
Maybe he just had a bad day or something....

When I was training my dogs and we were doing stays, they told me to put them back in a stay and start over.
He is very belittling, many ppl leave. But in this weeks class we had new members. We had a couple there with two sister staffies....you could see they were labrador owners not staffies.....and I guess him working for the RSPCA as an assessor of the dogs before they get rehomed, he could see one of these staffies haven't to be given up :( It makes me crazy that they didn't research into what they bought too.

But he is mean and harsh with us at times, normally I ask him what I did wrong and he shows me with Roxy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Roxy said:
LifeIsDaPits said:
Maybe he just had a bad day or something....

When I was training my dogs and we were doing stays, they told me to put them back in a stay and start over.
He is very belittling, many ppl leave. But in this weeks class we had new members. We had a couple there with two sister staffies....you could see they were labrador owners not staffies.....and I guess him working for the RSPCA as an assessor of the dogs before they get rehomed, he could see one of these staffies haven't to be given up :( It makes me crazy that they didn't research into what they bought too.

But he is mean and harsh with us at times, normally I ask him what I did wrong and he shows me with Roxy.
I'm sorry but why are you paying for someone to treat you badly? Look at what you said " He IS MEAN AND HARSH....'

and yet you're still there? Why exactly? Is he the only trainer where you are or something? Frankly when someone treats me like sh*t I don't ask what I did wrong as though I deserved to be disrespected. I am more likely to tell you to bite me.

Paula
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top