Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've been reading the boards here ever since i got my oeb about 3 months ago and you guys seem to really know what yoor talking about. I dicided to register this morning because i have a problem here and the problem is worms, some type of bizzare worm thingies!!! My oeb is named Duke and hes 80%house trained now. but lately he seems like hes going number 2 a bit more to the point where hes going in the house. The other day he did his busines in the house and my wife said she saw a worm, she freaked out and we kept duke in the create over night(away from my son) so we didnt contract some weird worm parasite. Well the very next morning i go to the vet with a fresh stool sample and wait about 5 hours for the results, and they come back negative. This morning im going to the kitchen and thee it is a big pile of dukes poop with a worm type thing in it!!! it was small about 1/4 inch long and it wasnt in it but right on the side of it. what the hell are these and should we keep him away from my son?

·
Registered
979 Posts
juniormint said:
Hi guys, I've been reading the boards here ever since i got my oeb about 3 months ago and you guys seem to really know what yoor talking about. I dicided to register this morning because i have a problem here and the problem is worms, some type of bizzare worm thingies!!! My oeb is named Duke and hes 80%house trained now. but lately he seems like hes going number 2 a bit more to the point where hes going in the house. The other day he did his busines in the house and my wife said she saw a worm, she freaked out and we kept duke in the create over night(away from my son) so we didnt contract some weird worm parasite. Well the very next morning i go to the vet with a fresh stool sample and wait about 5 hours for the results, and they come back negative. This morning im going to the kitchen and thee it is a big pile of dukes poop with a worm type thing in it!!! it was small about 1/4 inch long and it wasnt in it but right on the side of it. what the hell are these and should we keep him away from my son?
Did you tell your vet what you saw? The reason I ask is that tape worm segments are shed in the stool -they look like rice grains - but are seldom picked up microscopically. In addition if you have fleas you will get tapeworms since fleas are part of the tape worm cycle.

I'd give the vet a call. And no, short of eating it, you're not likely to get tapes from your dog.

Paula

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Sounds like tape worm.

Very easily missed in a stool sample test.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so is there something i can buy to get rid of possible fleas and deffinate tape worms? Can yo get rid of tape worms with a pet store pill like heart worms?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'de go back to the vet and take the worm, and show them. They can give you something to get rid of them, and prevent future ones.

·
Registered
704 Posts
What does the worm look like? Is it short and "ribbed" like a grain of rice, or is it long and spaghetti like? If it's the first, that's a tapeworm, if it's the latter, that would be a roundworm (which also means it's likely for hookworms to exist as well..they tend to go hand in hand)

For Tapeworms, you can buy a few products..Tapeworm Tabs, D-Worm ( a praziquantel product) For Round and Hook worms, a pyrantal pamoate based product, like Nemex-2, D-worm, etc. Most pet stores or feed stores carry one or all of these products or you can order online (I have a list of links for online health supplies on the links page of my website)

Lastly, I believe Sentinol and Interceptor Tabs from your vet are good combo drugs that treat and prevent heartworm, roundworm,hookworm and whipworm. Sentinol even repels fleas. Neither help tapeworm.

For just fleas I highly recommend Frontline Plus..waterproof, kills and repels fleas and eggs, kills and repels ticks..good stuff!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Lisa said:
Sounds like tape worm.

Very easily missed in a stool sample test.
I agree. Did what you saw look like a grain of rice? Did it move at all?

Tapeworms are easily missed on fecal checks b/c you MUST have a tapeworm segment in the stool as the eggs are contained within the segments. Only when a dog is very very heavily infested & if the lab person is lucky then will you see them on a slide without having a segment present.

Droncit is over the counter from any vet/vet supply place & will take care of the problem easily.

Btw, dogs get tapeworms most often from ingesting fleas as the flea carries the tapeworm larvae. Lizards & such can also carry tapeworm larvae but it is much less common & cats are more often to get infected this way. So if your dog has fleas, even just a couple!, & the condition is left untreated, chances are he'll contract tapes all over again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah it was small, looked like a piece of rice and it would curl every so often. In fact thats the only way i new it was a worm. Ok im going to the pet store because im sure its tapeworm but i have a question. If my dog does have fleas he cant have much, i give him a flea bath once a week and i never see him biting his coat. So if there are still a few fleas around how do i get rid of them for good? Do they sell a spray for fleas for like his create or furniture he likes to hangout on(a.k.a my bed):(

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yep..tapeworm. Personally, if your dog just has a few, use the frontline plus, and eliminate constant bathing with a chemical shampoo..the frontline plus works well. You can use flea sprays (pyrethrin base) if you need to, or even bug bomb your house if they are bad. For outdoors, you can sprinkle diatemaicous earth..it dries out the exoskeletons of fleas and other insects and kills them within 12-24 hours...if you kill them outdoors, treat the dog with frontline, you should be flea free in no time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts