Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my dog but I won't tolerate him growling at me which he has done twice. I've never had a dog do that before and I am not sure how to end it. My dog, Lafitte, is a little over 2 years old. He was added to a household that already had two boxers(a male and female) which he plays with and every now and then gets into scuffles with his older brother. He generally listens when he is called off and he has never hurt one of the other dogs. The animals always get seperated for a little while when they get too rowdy. Anyway, the dog has always had me be more of a disciplinarian than my husband and then he spent a couple of road trips with my husband and bonded with him. Fast forward to him being back at the house with both of us when I went to sit down next to my husband the dog growled at me and took an aggressive stand on the couch. We got him calmed down and all was fine. A couple of months later, the dog crawled onto my pillow after I got out of bed. My husband was asleep in the bed. I went to move him and he growled at me and took an aggressive stance again to which I stood still since we were in the dark and got my husband up as the dog stood up on the bed, stared me down and growled (very scary). My huband got up, took the dog downstairs and banished him to sleeping downstairs for the rest of the night. I know the dog loves me, if I have to go out of town he poops on my things to let me know he is mad. Why does he get aggressive with me?!! How do I stop it? I took him to the vet and they put him on Clomocalm which has helped with his seperation anxiety. My husband refuses to let me get him neutered. Please help!!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
my gf's pointer growls when you try to move him when he's sleeping too, but he is not an aggressive dog at all and has never shown any signs of human aggression.

your dog may just be really tired! talk to a trainer though to be sure, especially if he does it any other time.
is he doing this just when he's sleeping?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I thought it was just him being tired. The time on the bed I was literally gone for 3 minutes, I doubt he could have fallen asleep that quickly. Plus he looked at me when I said his name and told him to get down. The time on the couch he was wide awake as well. I just don't know how to deal with this issue because I've never had a dog do this. Both of my boxers wouldn't dare growl at me much less act like they were going to jump on me like Lafitte did. I really thought the dog was going to attack me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Lisa,
when I took him to the vet, the vet said to try to calm him down by ignoring him and keeping on eye an him. he said to not do anything that might seem threatening to the dog. My biggest question is what kind of things can I do with him to try to prevent him doing this and what ideas or solutions does anyone more experienced have for this kind of behavior? This is my first AB. I trained my boxers alone but their issues are nothing compared to this one!

·
Registered
790 Posts
your vet is an idiot and your AB sounds like a good dog haha

you let him win and he wins his place (bed or couch) you just rewarded him. Next time this behavior will escalate.

Your vet is not a trainer. Don't listen to his ridiculous comment.

Depending on the seriousness, you should go to a trainer who specializes in dominant behavior. Bottom line. YOu have to set rank. I cannot comment since it can be a delicate thing. I don't know your strength and how bad the situation is. Many people over state their fears.

At least it growled. Many bulldogs just stare at you. Those are the dangerous ones. :lol:

Seriously.

It is IMPERATIVE that you do basic ob commands and make him compy OFTEN during the day. For a mild aggressive dog, this is all he needs. YOU control his space. YOU put him in his cage. YOU do not make him eat until YOU (alpha) command it. Do obedience. Make him comply! he does not eat, shit, sleep, blink without YOUR command. Take his food dish away and make him earn it. EVERYTIME.

Aggression issues are owner driven. NOT the dog, in many cases.

This is a simple solution. WOW. HMMMMMMMMMM back to basics. Does that sound familiar? Foundation. Obedience preventing aggression issues. Do the work. You get no problems later!

Now, if yours is a true alpha. YOU need an experienced trainer. And really, if he is a true alpha it is not a pet. YOU NEED TO GIVE THE DOG TO ME. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a dog that would not allow his owner into his back yard. :lol: He had to call his 5 year old kid to come and let him inside his own house. Even this dog was a pussy cat. He was just confused, as I am SURE YOURS IS.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Are you afraid of your dog when he growls at you? I know it is easier said than done but you cant show fear. You have to show him that you are the boss and you wont back down. If you back down because he growled, he knows growling will get the results that he wants. That cant happen.

·
Registered
790 Posts
LOL. That is abit different. Don't worry.

hahahahaha.

In fact, your pup staring into your eyes is EXCELLENT! Good training. Good focus.

Trust me. YOu know the stare if you get it. It is not a happy moment. You got about 3 seconds before you go to the hospital, if you don't know what you are doing. hahahahaha.
However, you want me to be honest? I honestly believe THOSE monsters are the best dogs. I just think they are confused because of the owner. The owner and the dog has to be matched. Because once they know their rank in the pack, they become EXTREMELY LOYAL. I am not talking about vicious dogs.

I know there are some dogs that are total Alphas. I have never seen one. I know a trainer who I respect much has. I believe he is one of the BEST trainers of bulldogs. Now, even he conceeds, a dog like this needs a bullet. However, they are a one in a billion. Dogs want to be with us. We just have to set rank. that is all.

No dog on this forum is like this. I guarantee it.

So, don't worry. Be happy.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Sugar knows that Glen is the leader of the pack. He can literally just walk into the room when she is on the couch he sits on and she cowers and jumps off to the other sofa. He has never raised his hand at her only spoken in a low tone~his tone~ "Sugar, get down" she knows what she can and cannot do around him. She won't dare look him in the eye. She looks just past him unless he is playing with her. Could all be due to the bad treatment she got from the other owner "a man" I on the other hand am bad about not enforcing the rules he sets. I know I know Bad Mommy!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Alpha Dog

I really haven't been able to tell which one of mine is dominant one yet they both seem to roll on their backs for each other taking turns and letting the other stand over them. They do play so rough sometimes I think they are killing each other but it is only play
they stop imedaitely when I call them and look at me like what ma with these big smiles on their faces. So far I have been lucky.

·
Registered
297 Posts
AB's are pretty dominant and males often do as like your dog do, if you let them. Some of them you better don't take to your bed room, they need to know who is the boss. He should not sleep on your couch and not in your bed, your husband is Alpha and your dog is no.2! He growl at you to let you know you are THE LAST in the pack. Get a trainer and learn how to handle him.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I have a dominant male pup and he NEVER bites me. He has respect for us we train him. You must give this little guy boundries and show him whos boss i dont mean beat him or anything but show litle signs u are higher in rank. I have 2 males and they always sit beside my chair by my side soemtimes he come up for a kiss. You must show them. Go to soemome with experience with the breed and this issue and quickly will only get worse if you dont know how to handle the situation

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
We may be mean

but we don't allow our dog on the sofa or in the beds at any time. We feel that these are for people and a dog has their own place. I know most people allow dogs on their furniture but we have chosen not to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you So much for all o0f you advice. When our dog was a puppy we went him to boot camp because I was ripping my hair out. He really is a joy, please don't misunderstand me. I just was not educated enough to be able to deal with his specific issues which include a rough case of seperation anxiety even though my boxer had it. Lafitte's case is much worse. That said when he came back from the trainers he was excellent, unfortunately my husband was the one that went to pick him up and he learned the commands but doesn't remember them. Plus he isn't the disciplinarian that mommy is even though I'm 5 feet tall. I do not want to let the dog win ever and I guess my biggest question is what exactly do I do if I feel the least bit threatened by the dog? I've been told everything from hit him to give him away because he could snap and I don't beleive for one minute the dog will really hurt me. I don't beleive that hitting the dog is the correct answer, it seems to be counterproductive to me. Thanknyou for all of you that said get someone trained with this specific problem, I think you are right. I've already started looking for behaviuorists/trainers in the NO area.

·
Super Moderator
16,023 Posts
I have a male dog who is a mix of Shepard and St. Bernard. Right at the time we got Rusty who was 8 months old, my husband started working night shifts on both the ambulance and at the medical center at the county jail. He was never home at night. Rusty got use to this and would jump up on the bed and sleep with me. At the end of six months this schedule got to be more than my husband wanted so he quit the jail job. The first night he was home and it was time for bed, he went in to take a shower and I had gotten into the bed while he was showering. Rusty jumped up on the bed and laid down beside me. In a few minutes, George came out of the shower and came to the bed. Rusty took one look at him, stood up, stradled me and growled the deepest most protective growl I have ever heard. At first it startled me and George and then I started to laugh which got my husband's ego and so in a very masculine and loud voice he told Rusty to "GET THE H-LL OFF MY BED". Rusty knew he meant business and down he went and he never challenged my husband again. But it still makes me laugh to think about it. The point I am making here, is that you have to let your dog know who is boss and it is not him. You have to be the one to do it and not your husband. It is you he is challenging and it is you he has to learn to respect. Good luck.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Sadly, this sounds like mis-communication on your part and the dogs.

You said the dog poops on your things to get you mad. Dog don't think like humans, your dog isn't thinking "oh i'm going to poop in his or her shoe and get them ticked!" No, the safest thing on your part is to put your dog in a right size crate when your not home. A lot of dogs get nervous when there alone, it's normal, they are pack animals and when there "pack meaning you and your husband" are gone the dog is like "oh my gosh, the pack is gone" and they can't run cause there in the house so they find disruptive things to do such as shred toilet paper or relieve themselves in the house. There goal is never to get you angry.

As for the growling, make sure when you approach your dog while he is sleeping that you do not give eye contact or talk. Sit next to the dog, not in front of it, and shove him off the bed. You are alpha, you are the leader of the pack and your dog needs to know that. He can not test you, as he is testing what he can get away with. He is not the higher rank then you, you are higher rank then him.

Hope I helped you some! I also reccomend reading some dog physcology or behavioral books as well, it helped me a bunch to better understand my dog.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Some great advice on here, but to do things properly and for you to get some super confidence in assesing the situation seek professional advice i.e a trainer.

If he stares at you :arrow: Stare back and do not break eye contact - stare him out - you are top dog.
You feed him & you walk him.

If he gets up on the sofa, only let him next to you when you want him there, dont be afraid to tell him to get down - If you want to do it properly you have to be 100% consistant, so he shouldnt actually be allowed up on the couch at all, but if you dont feel thats going to happen, still be firm in your decisions.
He should idealy have the floor, its lower down than the couch and being lower down than you, reinstates your hirechy (SP) in the pack.

If he poops in the same areas, make sure you clean them (i no you do :lol: ) with a SUPER cleaner preferbly one with a over powering smell - that will cover his smell, and you should find that this should break his habbit of going in the same spots.

AND last but not least - DO NOT let him in your bedroom, let alone your bed.
This is your private sleeping quaters, he should not be allowed to cross that threshold, and should defiantly NOT be allowed to sleep with you. This makes him equal to you, and therefore if he sees any kind of weakness in you, he will attempt to over throw you, i.e the growling and making a stance :arrow: hes looking to see if you will back down or stand up to him.

As everyone has said, if you take command of him, and show him you are boss (w/out violence-it never solves anything) then he will settle, hes probabaly confused right now as he doesnt know where he stands, he was below you, but now hes getting ballsy and is trying to over throw you, but hes not 100% there yet (thankgod) so whilst you still have some control, seize it and once he knows his place in the pack he will be alot more comfortable.

Hope this helps, let us know how he gets on down the line.

·
Registered
33 Posts
CAUTION waking sleeping Bulldogs.

Sounds like Spike, my EB. If he's sound asleep, caution is required when waking him up. He doesn't wake up "happy". We've all learned to wake him up slowly by calling his name or making enough noise to wake him up without touching him. Touch him while he's asleep at you're own peril! He come's up quick with teeth bared. Then realizes what he's done and acts embarassed. Once awake he's his sweet old self.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Some great advice here (as always). You should definitely find a trainer and go through classes (or traning sessions) WITH your dog. I can't tell from your post whether your husband or the dog forgot the commands, but either way it tells me that you didn't do much follow-up training. Remember - dog training isn't a once & done sort of thing - it's kinda continual!

One technique you might find useful is NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) - basically, the dog has to work for everything he gets. Want to go out? Sit and wait until I open the door AND release you. Want dinner? You get it in 4 doses - and you have to sit, down, come, whatever for each "dose". Want to get on the couch? Wait until you're invited. Now get off. Now you can get back on. Good dog. As the human - the one with the bigger brain - YOU get to control every good thing in your dog's life. USE THE POWER!!!!!

At minimum - that dog has lost his bed & sofa privileges. For at least a couple of months.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.