Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my sis has two puppies and they started pooping out worms yesterday. She got them about 3 wks ago and they were just born and abandoned. They are now VERY VERY sick and she cant find a 24 hour vet. She is gonna take them in the morning to the vet. She said they are lying around very limp and not eating. her dh got the worm meds and she gave them some. She said this morning they were running all around. My question is do worms make them sick like this? She said the girl started pooping about ALOT yesterday and the boy started today. Can this be killing them? She is crying and very hystirical.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Well a few things cross my mind. They could be SO full of worms that the dead worms have balled up and the puppies are having a tough time passing them. Or she could have given them too much of the wormer. Or yes they have such a bad case it will take a few doses to get all the worms out. A severe infestation of worms CAN kill puppies, especially very young puppies.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She gave them the meds AFTER this behaviour. Also she gave the recommended dose. Also she gave the rocommened dose. I think they just have alot. Weird they would develop them so fast and she only saw them the day before yesterdat tho :(

·
Registered
704 Posts
Worms don't just develop fast..every dog carries a certain amount of worms in thier systems at all times. If a female is not wormed before she is bred, she passes her heavy wormload to the puppies through her breastmilk. Pups are so timy, it only takes a small amount of the fully developed worms in thier systems to really suck them down..every ounce of food they eat is basically being devoured by worms. Pretty soon, the puppies bodies start burning from thier body fat and musculatory system to survive. Basically, it's a process.

All pups need worming, even if there are no worms visably present. They have them, I guarantee it. They need to be wormed in cycles as one dose of medication will kill adult worms, but not larvae..pups should be wormed every week or every other week until 8 weeks of age. At that point, they can be wormed every two weeks in thier new envirenment until about 12 weeks..then it's regular maintenance doses. (unless they are around other dogs and pops alot..they can step on larvaea from old feces and re-ingest new worm eggs..and the cycle will continue)

Have her worm the pups again in one week. In the meantime, have her give them lots of electrolytes (pedialyte or gatorade are fine) They can dehydrate super fast from pooing so much..not to mention the toll that the worms have done to thier systems. I highly recommend she feed a supplement called DYNE to the pups as well. It is a high calorie system boost for sick or underweight dogs and pups..it also encourages rehydration. It can be found in some pet stores or ordered from a pet supply online..I recommend Jeffer... http://www.jefferspet.com

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Carrie said:
Worms don't just develop fast..every dog carries a certain amount of worms in thier systems at all times. If a female is not wormed before she is bred, she passes her heavy wormload to the puppies through her breastmilk. Pups are so timy, it only takes a small amount of the fully developed worms in thier systems to really suck them down..every ounce of food they eat is basically being devoured by worms. Pretty soon, the puppies bodies start burning from thier body fat and musculatory system to survive. Basically, it's a process.

All pups need worming, even if there are no worms visably present. They have them, I guarantee it. They need to be wormed in cycles as one dose of medication will kill adult worms, but not larvae..pups should be wormed every week or every other week until 8 weeks of age. At that point, they can be wormed every two weeks in thier new envirenment until about 12 weeks..then it's regular maintenance doses. (unless they are around other dogs and pops alot..they can step on larvaea from old feces and re-ingest new worm eggs..and the cycle will continue)

Have her worm the pups again in one week. In the meantime, have her give them lots of electrolytes (pedialyte or gatorade are fine) They can dehydrate super fast from pooing so much..not to mention the toll that the worms have done to thier systems. I highly recommend she feed a supplement called DYNE to the pups as well. It is a high calorie system boost for sick or underweight dogs and pups..it also encourages rehydration. It can be found in some pet stores or ordered from a pet supply online..I recommend Jeffer... http://www.jefferspet.com
Thans you soooooo much! This makes alot of since and is very helpful! I just read this to her on the phone and she is sending her dh out to get the pedialyte now. She also said she sees some litttle white sores inda look like ringworms under their fur . Could that be from the worms? She tried to get them to the Vet today but her dh had to work and she lives in the country with no vet close by so she has to wait until tomorrow or so

·
Registered
704 Posts
Glad I could help...as far as white sores, hard to say...could be mange of some sort, could be ringworm. I couldn't give you a diagnosis over the internet. Ringworm is not a worm though...it's a fungus...generally looks like dry flaky skin in a circle (ring)pattern. I would take the pups (or at least one) for a skin scraping just to be on the safe side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts