Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Patch is destroying our yard... i know i know, he's probably bored when he's home alone and we're at work... but he is digging EVERYTHING and is now chewing things like the pergola!

My yard is L-shaped.

His kennel is in the smaller part of the L.

My husband suggested we fence off the part of the L so that he can do whatever he likes to the side of the house, just not in the main part where the outdoor furniture etc is.

The problem is, that section would leave him with a space of about 4 metres x 3 metres.

Would this be cruel???

I'm worried he'll be couped up... but he's with us when we're home, and we walk him a fair bit so he'll be getting exercise.

Thoughts please??????

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crating him is confining him to an even SMALLER space.

we want to keep him outside when we're not home.

He is pretty safe in our yard.

Do you think it's cruel to confine him to a small section of the yard?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Patch said:
Do you think it's cruel to confine him to a small section of the yard?
I don't think it's cruel to confine a dog to a crate inside the house, so I don't think it's cruel to confine him to a small section of the yard. Just don't come back complaining about how he's tearing up that part of the yard. :lol:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't care if he destroys that part of the yard.

He's already dug up most of the grass there anyway... and he can't dig up the concrete section that's there either (i hope!)

The fencing is great... tough colourbond fencing. He can't dig under it because we live in a townhouse and the attached neighbours yard is elevated from ours by about 6 inches... so there's concrete where the small gap under the fence is. there's basically no way he can get out.

do you think if he's confined he would bark all day and disturb the neighbours?

i feel really cruel confining him... what's wrong with me!?
i think im too soft!

and it's not like he'll be there forever... we're home with him in the evenings...

what about this - not much sun travels on that side of the house during the day... he usually basks in the sun near the verandah... i suppose in a way that would be good because he's white and im worried about skin cancer (particular with the Australian sun)......

as you can tell, i don't know what i'm meant to do here!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Crating him inside really is whats best for the dog. Leaving them outside unattended all day alot of times can drive their protective instinct batty. The dog has a tendency to pace around "it's" territory and patrol its area barking at whatever moves. Plus amstaffs and apbts are escape artists, if your leaving them in your yard eventually they will devise a way to get out of the yard. My female can leap 5 foot fences no problem, as well as squeeze her body through the smallest of opening. Crating them in the house during the day, allows the dog to be in-doors in the air conditioning, it teached them not be destructive as they cannot destroy anything, teaches them to hold to their #1's and #2's, as well as renforcing that when left alone.. its best to just go to sleep.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Chris said:
teaches them to hold to their #1's and #2's.
This is a good point. When a dog is left outside all day, he can pee and poo as he pleases. With no one there to praise him when he does the right thing, he's just learning to...well....pee and poo as he pleases!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Patch said:
I don't care if he destroys that part of the yard.

He's already dug up most of the grass there anyway... and he can't dig up the concrete section that's there either (i hope!)

The fencing is great... tough colourbond fencing. He can't dig under it because we live in a townhouse and the attached neighbours yard is elevated from ours by about 6 inches... so there's concrete where the small gap under the fence is. there's basically no way he can get out.

do you think if he's confined he would bark all day and disturb the neighbours?

i feel really cruel confining him... what's wrong with me!?
i think im too soft!

and it's not like he'll be there forever... we're home with him in the evenings...

what about this - not much sun travels on that side of the house during the day... he usually basks in the sun near the verandah... i suppose in a way that would be good because he's white and im worried about skin cancer (particular with the Australian sun)......

as you can tell, i don't know what i'm meant to do here!!!!
If you leave him outside there is a chance someone could stal him. just a thought

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
DEUCE'S DAD said:
I agree crateing inside is the best thing. I would be terrified that someone would steal him.
WAY too much of this has already happened on the board.... one turned out good and the other turned out in a horrible horrible tragedy

Kate is in her cage for up to 7 hours a day... sometimes 8 if I have to run errands... she doesn't mind it at all. That is when she gets her rest. And then when I am home with her I play with her and walk her so she gets plenty of exercise and then sleep time in crate

·
Registered
704 Posts
You know your neighborhood..if there is a risk of him being stolen, then keeping him inside would be best. Otherwise, your dog should be fine sectioned off in the yard. Since he has been outside already at this point, he will probably be happier being outside. If you are sometimes gone longer than 8 hours a day, outside is definitely better. The main thing is that he is comfortable, and has plenty of shade..a pool possibly, etc. to stay cool in the summer heat.

I have spoiled rotten housedogs...but someone is generally home at my house..my dogs aren't in thier crates but for a few hours a day and only up to 8 hours on very rare occasions. When I had multiple bullies, I had to keep dogs outside because of fighting,etc..(plus having more than 3-4 bulldogs in a house is too much) These dogs do fine outside as long as they get plenty of attention and excercise when you are home.

·
Registered
258 Posts
There's no way I would ever leave my dog outside, unless I absolutely had to. If I had to, she would be in an extremely secure dog run with the fence buried several feet underground and locks on the gate. Even if you know your neighborhood, you can never predict if someone will or will not steal your dog. And you never know what your dog is capable of in terms of jumping over fences or squeezing through small holes, etc... I also wouldn't want to upset my neighbours, or give them a reason to fear the dog because of her barking all day.

Would sectioning off a part of the house work for him and you? That way, he wouldn't be confined to such a small space, but he'd be a lot safer.

IF you do decide to keep Patch outside, I do not think it would be cruel at all to confine him to one side of the yard. My dog spends 4-8 hours per weekday in her crate and she is excited every morning to get into it. She knows that as soon as we are brushing our teeth and putting our work clothes on that its time to get into her crate and she will run and get into it.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
My dogs will nap in the sunshine all day long, and they are just fine. You do what you think is best for your family. It'll all work itself out!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Most likely he won't bark all day bc they are not big barkers for the most part ( there is always the exception to the rule though :lol: , Tora) .....Your dog will most likely will not develope skin cancer either, get him a dog house if he is going to be outside so he can have a den..But remember when he grows up, they will use the house as a launching pad to jump the fence so you may want to cover his area like a kennel[/img]

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT leave your dog outside!!! I know from experience what can happen. Even if you think you know your neighborhood, It could be your neighbors kids friends who knows, anything can happen. Its way to risky. The last thing you need is to come home and your dog isn't there. Crating is not cruel, its the safest way for a dog to be alone!!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, well for one, Patch actually loves being outside! I know I should be fearful that he will be stolen during the day, and i'm hoping that that doesn't happen, but we have no choice but to keep him outside when we're not home.
Sometimes we can be gone for over 12 hours... and there's no way i'm leaving him in a crate for that long.

And besides, he is used to being outside… we put him out there to sleep since the first night we got him when he was 8 weeks old (on advice from a staffy owner… get them used to it from day one if that’s where they’re going to end up being). Mind you, my husband and I couldn’t sleep and kept checking on him throughout the whole night, but he was fine, and loving his massive kennel filled with pillows and a blanket! And his teddy’s!

The part where we are thinking of sectioning off the yard is where his kennel is. It’s one of those massive igloo type things, and he LOVES being in there. It’s situated in a corner against the house, so there’s no way he can climb over the fence, which is on the other side. And he’s only 4 months old so he’s pretty little, he can’t even reach the washing on the clothes line (yet). He’s an English Staffy so he won’t grow to be that tall either.

There is a concreted part (where his kennel is) and the rest is grass… which he has already enjoyed digging.

When he’s at home with us, he is inside and he has his own dog bed and toys for inside the house.

Even then, sometimes if we’re busy e.g. cooking or cleaning, he will go over to the back door and wait for us to open it so he can play outside. He loves sitting in the sun, and playing with his basketball. And when we give him his meaty bones, he eats those outside… he runs and hides under the outdoor table and chews on them for ages! I think he sees the backyard as his paradise.. his territory.

My issue is not with leaving him outside.. my issue is confining him to a small area during the day. I’m worried he will hate it because he’s been given the freedom of the whole yard for a few months now.

I like the fact he has the whole backyard to himself and is free to roam and come and go as he pleases. He knows that there are rules, especially inside the house. He is toilet trained inside the house, and he generally poos in one section of the yard, which makes for easy cleaning for us.

I just wish he wouldn’t resort to digging the garden and chewing up the pergola and furniture!!

If I do section off the yard then how do we deal with boundaries? Obviously when we’re home, I’m more than happy for him to wander around the whole yard, and we obviously play with him in the yard, etc. so do you think he will understand that he is only in his sectioned off part when we go to bed, and when we are out?

This is so hard!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Patch said:
My issue is not with leaving him outside.. my issue is confining him to a small area during the day. I’m worried he will hate it because he’s been given the freedom of the whole yard for a few months now.
He's a dog! He'll get over it! Don't let him decide how much freedom he gets. YOU as the owner need to set boundaries for him. If you give him this much freedom in every area of his life, you're going to be in for a rude awakening when he becomes a teenager! Trust me!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think my problem is that i'm too soft.
My husband tells me this all the time (because I wonder why Patch won't listen to me).

I can't help but treat him like a little person.....

I need help.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
You can still give him all the love and affection in the world, but do it when you want to, not when he demands it. If you keep treating him like a little person, you'll notice that he'll take advantage of you and walk all over you. And when he enters his teen years at about the age of 8-9 months, he'll be stubborn as hell. I highly recommend doing the "Nothing in Life Is Free" program with Patch. It's a great non-confrontational, non-physical way to show him that you're his leader and all good things in his life come from you. Here's a good link: http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.