Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kara my 4 y/o rednose pit is having horrible skin problems. We've taken her to the vet numerous times. They have concluded that it is a food allergy. The last dog food she was on was Hills Z/D allergy. This is a perscription food that is $40 for a 18lb bag. Keep in mind that Kara is about 70lbs right now. It is costing a great deal and the rashes aren't gone completely. Petsmart is the only pet store in town that carries this food, but they only carry about 10 bags in their store at a time. Which is only restocked once a week. Some vets carry the small bags for a huge price. Well one day I ran out of food, and I swear the whole my whole town was out of this food. I was so pissed and frustrated. That let me to doing some research online about dog food and allergy (food and skin). I think with all my research all I found were conflicting facts. One person says don't ever feed you dog commercial food, cook it yourself. Another says this is bad for your dog. One says that beef is okay, another says it isn't.

Basically my questions are these. Has anyone had any experience with cooking for their dogs? Has anyone ever tried a raw diet? Could this be something besides an allergy? I've never seen any of the skin allergies that I have read about... mange, skabies, ringworm, ect. I have included some pics I took today of Kara. Any comments will be helpful.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Oh my gosh...that looks absolutely horrible. :( Poor thing. How many different vets have you been to, and how did they conclude that it's a food allergy?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
A good food for food allergys is a Duck and Potatoe one. You might have to try a more specialty food store then just petco petsmart. And also, I wouldnt buy anything the vet sells. They make a profit off of everything they sell and they sell nothing good.

I feel horrible for her and my skin hurts just looking at the pictures!! A lot of dogs are allergic to corn and wheat products so any food that has that listed within their top 5 ingedients definitly shouldnt be fed to your dog!

There are a lot of foods out there that are a TON cheaper then $40 for 18lbs that are much better for your dog too.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
:shock: WOW! That just looks miserable! Poor baby, my heart truely goes out to that dog!
Have they said what the allergy was? Did you get a 2nd opinion?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My dog Spooky's whole head was like that at one point, and her belly was one big messy rash. We had her tested for airborne allergies and found out she was allergic to: dustmites, fleas, grass, mold, maple trees, pine trees, some weeds, feathers, among other things!

For her food allergies we didn't know what she was allergic to at first. So for years we didn't give her ANY real bones, rawhide, or store bought treats. I made all her cookies for her. There are some hypo-allergetic treats you can buy, but some are very expensive. I also make a supplement that I put on her food to help boost her immune system (since allergies are usually caused in part by immune problems) and it also helps her skin problems like hot spots and bald itchy patches. We also kept her away from other animals unless we were positive they didn't have fleas. And I also made something for fleas as well just in case.

I found that after her shots her allergies got way worse. So she went in for checkups but got no shots, and nothing chemical agian. Durring the season changes I'd double up her supplement. We made sure she didn't eat grass or weeds. And also that she didn't run through fields or roll in the grass. After we got used to the routine and knew what to stay away from she did great most of the time.

That Hills food is sh*t! Sorry, but IMO it's true. I just read the ingredients, wow. If you're thinking of cooking your dogs food, instead I'd look into a raw diet. I don't use raw food myself, but I have heard amazing stories from people who do. There are plenty of good foods out there that are great for dogs with allergies. Most dogs are allergic to chicken and corn, and you want to make sure that meat is the first ingredient. I could go on and on about foods so I'll just tell you 3 that I have used for Spooky with great results. They are reasonable, and cost me about $50 a month for one 75 lb dog. That's in Canada, and things are more expensive here. Probably about $37 US.
Natural Life has two great foods for allergies: Lamaderm and ADC Venison
Precise Sensicare: Sensicare

You may need to get a cone for your dog so she doesn't chew herself. And I'd invest in a good pair of booties that she can't get off so she doesn't hurt herself by scratching. It at least doubles the healing time by the damage they do to themselves.

Let us know how things turn out, and if you have any questions just ask.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I'm really sorry to see how bad your dog is doing. You must feel terrible. I've used the z/d before and that stuff is way too expensive for the quality. I switched to the DVP duck and Potato and have had great results with it. The only treats I feed my dog are hot dogs.... all those treats in the stores are pretty bad for dogs with allergies. Please let us know if you get to the bottom of what's going on. Has your vet done a scrape to rule out mange? My dog had mange and it looked kinda like that, he would scratch until he bled. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for all the responses. I am going to try answer some of the questions that were asked, and give you an update.

Okay we have taken her to a few vets and a dematologist. They did numerous tests and found that she was allergic to flees. After taking care of that problem she was still breaking out. They concluded that she must have a food allergy since all the other things were ruled out.

She was fine until she had a litter of puppies. She got into some of the puppy food, and was eating thier poo, which also has the puppy food in it. That is was caused her current problem.

We did switch her to a raw diet about a month ago now. Ground Beef, some vegies, eggs (2-3 times a week) garlic, vitamins. I think that it has been helping. But her constant licking and scratching are keeping it from healing.

As someone suggested we did get her a cone and booties. We also have her in a part of the house that the other animals can't get to her. The puppy is always licking her. I do think that this helping. She looks horrible, but she is actually able to form scabs now. I hope that if we keep this up she'll get a chance to heal.

I'll keep everyone updated. Please let me know if there is anything else I should be trying. Thanks again for all the support.

Here is a picture showing the progress. WARNING!!!!! It doesn't look pretty WARNING!!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
My goodness, I hope she get's better soon. I knew a big black lab that had a skin condition like yours, constant itching with scabs, the owners had to buy meds and feed them twice a day. It worked for the hair, which grew back, but the dog was still a little itchy and his head still had bald spots but other than that it worked well. Keep us updated please. I hope she get's better!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
That is terrible. I sure hope those poor puppies she produced don't end up with these same problems!!! What a shame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know I just compaired the two pics. :shock: The "rash" isn't as wide spread as it was. It also looks like her skin isn't as irritated and red as it was. Some of her hair since then has even grown back. :p So even though it looks really gross, it is getting better! THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Actually when you see dogs like this that are healing sometimes it looks worse. That's only because of the scabbing. She looks a lot better, like it's healing well. It will take some time, but she will get there. Just make sure to keep her booties and cone on till she's completely healed. Sometimes you think they have stoped chewing/scratching, but when you're not there they get bored/anxiety and start all over again.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts