Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to switch Mags off the crappy Science Diet (I know please don't stone me to death) to a better food. She has always been on SD Lamb and Rice and I am afraid of switching to something she won't be able to digest. I looked over the food ratings and have a couple I am thinking about getting: DVP NAtural Balance Ultra Premium, Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult or Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice. Now - would it be better to keep her on one that is also just lamb and rice or is it okay to just switch to seomthing completely different?????? (I know i have to mix the foods for a while) Please help!! I am going to Petco tonight to get the food so I need to decide fast!!!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I think it would be ok to switch types cuz a different brand of the same flavor wont neccesarily have the same ingredience - so long as you do it gradually (which you said you will do anyways)... She will let you know if she likes it or not... Just be sure to watch for signs of allergies.
JMO

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When she was a real little puppy - 8 weeks - and i got her from the humane society one of her littermates had had a bad allergic reaction to chicken byproducts so to be safe they fed the whole litter only lamb and rice - I don't know if she's allergic to chicken or not b/c ive never given anything with chicken to her.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They had been feeding them chicken and rice formula and one of the pups got a nasty rash/had trouble breathing/ so they fed him some plain rice and he was fine so they figured it was the chicken and started feeding him lamb/rice formula and he was fine - when I adopted mags they told me not to give her chicken in case she ahd the same problem but they said she could be just fine

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Interesting. Bella had a lot of skin problems when she was 8 weeks old, but my vet told me that it's extremely rare for puppies to have developed food allergies at that age. She said they haven't been around the allergen long enough to have developed an auto-immune response to it. I wonder if it wasn't something else that caused Mags' littermate's reaction.

There are definitely good foods that don't have chicken in them if you are concerned about a chicken allergy. Good meat proteins for dogs with allergies are lamb, duck, venison, salmon, buffalo, trout.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yep...it's a fabulous supplement. Here is a little description of it:

In nature, animals consume foods that are whole, raw and fresh, while domestic animals generally have a diet of processed foods only. The Missing Link® was developed to target the nutritional gap between what nature provides and what is available in commercial foods. Formulated with all-natural, human-edible-quality whole foods and food concentrates, The Missing Link® reintroduces unprocessed, nutrient-rich foods into your animal's diet.
It's great for the skin and coat and boosts the immune system. Bella's hystiocytoma completely healed when she started taking this supplement. It's a powder, so you can just sprinkle it on dry food.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts