Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Semper was born with a black cloud over him I swear!

Okay, about a week ago he started coughing and gaging and even gaging til he would throw up.
We took him to the vet, and they said they would take blood and gave us antibiotics (guessing it was some type of broncial thing) and if that didnt work we would go from there.
The behavior has continued and the blood work came back fine with nothing elevated.
The vet said we could xray him but in general that doesnt show anything.

I read to give them bread to see if it would help move anything down and along if it were lodged....but he continues to do it.

:cry:

can anyone think of anything we are missing or can do?

thanks in advance!

· Registered
2,877 Posts
i hate to tell you to get x-rays done ($$$) but you might just have to if it continues. i know with baylee her trachial(?) tube is 50% smaller than normal which should make breathing, eating, and drinking a bit more difficult. the vet showed me this when i had her x-rayed for pneumonia.... but she had a green snotty nose....

could be allergies like halo suggested....have you changed laundry detergent, is he outside more, etc.... than what he used to be?

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the help....
it seems today he is better...but i have only been home a couple hours...

maybe it is allergies, he has been out a lot more since the weather is nice.
also, we are remodeling and there is quiet a bit of wood dust.....so just maybe that is it??????

again...as usual, this board is always wonderful!

· Super Moderator
14,603 Posts
It would not hurt to give him some fish oil after the bread to lubricate the throat and release any "hair balls/dust balls. Wood dust can cause a problem for their breathing and he probably needs to be enclosed in a room where the dust is not floating around. Keep his face, eyes and paws washed off too from the dust. Hope all works out.

· Registered
4,432 Posts
How much blood are we talking here? Not trying to be sassy but do you trust your vet? Did they seem alarmed? ........I know that an MD and a DVM is two totally different things butI work for an MD and I would imagine that the same principle would apply....Now that I am done with my disclaimer.........I have seen it time and time again a person will get a scan from a Doc with old equipment and the patient will get misdiagnosed costing the patient a lot of $$$$ and heart ache........Old scanners are grey and fuzzy but new ones in an MD office can show your blood type LOL j/k but they are very detailed......I maybe reading too much into your vet's scan not being able to show much but they could have older equipment and a vet with new equipmnet maybe able to tell you more...The equipment may not as advanced as an MD's but I would guess that Tech would grow just about as quickly for a DVM as it does for a MD.......I could be totally off here but just my O

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.