Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,I have been reading all of the crate posts and want to ask a few questions on the crate.I used a crate for Molly but we only put her in it if we were not home and at bed time.Since we are getting close to getting a pup and I haven't been around puppies for at least four or five years I am lost with the crate issue.Why do some of you put your pups in the crate for a few hours at a time? I am home all day so would I need to that?I was going to use it the same way I did with Molly,only put in when we are not at home and at bedtime.
What other reasons would I have to keep a pup in the crate for periods of time?If I am home all day is it bad to let the pup have free rome of the downstairs,were I am at a good portion of the day?I want to make sure that when we do get a pup that I am doing what is best for him so if you guys could give me feed back I would appreciate it.Thanks

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
One big reason for having a puppy in the crate more is for training and house breaking. Your pup is less likely to go potty in their crate (make sure they don't have room to and then sleep away from it). If they have free roam of any part of the house they are not going to be able to get the idea of going potty outside as quickly because if they mess in the house, you wont catch it right away. Thats where the suggestion of keeping them on a leash tied to your jeans or something when your in the house. That way they are getting exercise and being out but you can also catch them if they start going potty.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts