Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at my wits end here. When we adopted Justice, we told the rescue she wouldn't spend more than 9-10 hours in her crate a day. I figured I'd have her potty trained in a month at most, and be able to break most of her bad habits. Well, here we are, 2 months later, and she's spending more and more time in her crate. If she's out, she potties on the floor, or is tearing something up, or her and Haus are running around like mad dogs. We've tried taking away all the toys she could tear up, she just tears up other things. We've closed the doors to the rooms she's not allowed in, and she'll potty right in front of us.

The other day, she devoured a comforter while Dennis was sleeping right there. Now, it is his fault for not watching her. I know it was her, because she's been passing little bits of maroon fabric all week. Dennis refuses to let her sleep in our room now. So, back to the kennel for her. This leaves her in her kennel from 8 am until 1pm when I come home for lunch. She goes back in around 2 pm and is there until 6 pm when I come home. She's out from 6-7:30 when I feed them, and we let them rest in their kennels after eating until about 8 pm. Then she's out until about 11 pm and back in until morning. She gets out around 7:15 am. I think it's entirely too much time in her kennel, but I can't be home any more than I am.

Are there any suggestions from anyone? I've tried working with her, telling her no and replacing it with a toy, spraying her with the water bottle. None of it's worked.

Another thing that has me worried is that she seems to be losing weight. We feed her 3 cups of food a day, the same amount Haus eats. All of her ribs are showing, and her hip bones are starting to stick out. She's been dewormed, and had all her vaccines. We have a vet appt on the 17th for both of them. Any ideas on this one?

·
Registered
162 Posts
wow

Wow...persistance is all I can say. When she gets out of the crate I assume she walks right away. Do you free feed or do you limit her? What does she do? POOP or PEE?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
She is a little growing doggy from a rescue, I think you can feed her more and maybe add some suppliments

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
When she stayed at our house, she didn't have any accidents, and I think that was because when she was out of her crate, we took her out every half hour. She also didn't chew on anything she wasn't supposed to, but we let her have any of Bella and Remy's toys she wanted. She was so good for us that I can't imagine her being a little terror. :D

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Wow...i really don't know what to say about Justice's bad habits. She should not be eating up the house nor going to the bathroom in their either. Some dogs take a long time to housebreak though...I know it is super frustrating. She has to get used to the crate...unfortunately most of us don't have the luxury of spending all day with the dogs in the house, although I know dogs don't understand that. Like pitbullmaster said, persistance...these is nothing else you really can do,

and about being so thin, Holly's hipbones and ribs stick out as well, and she eats almost 6 cups of food a day. Some dogs just dont gain weight, same with people.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To answer all the questions:
When she gets out of her crate, she goes straight outside. Granted, that's up some stairs and through the kitchen.

We haven't been able to walk her lately, because it's been SO hot.

She is not free fed, she is fed 1 1/2 cups of food 2x a day. If we feed her more, she gets sick and throws it all up.

As for pottying in the house, she does both. She pees on the carpet, and poos on our hardwood floors. It's so gross, because the hardwood floors aren't completely finished, so it stains the floors. I can't use an enzymatic cleaner, because it bleaches the wood.

I'm really worried about the weight thing. She was gaining when we first got her, but now it seems as if she's losing again. :(

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
First off does she whine or bark to let you know she has to go potty?

If not you may want to try the bells.I swear by this.I hung up bells by my front and back door and even int he crate and the first day when I would let /Buster out I would take his paw and paw at the bells and say " Outside" which is our word for potty.I did this all day and by the end of the night he was doing it himself and since I haven't had any accidents. I also had him going out every 15 minutes which seemed to work for him but I am home all day so it made it easy.As time went on we did every half hour then ever hour to now when he rings the bells to go out.If I didn't bell train him he would probably still be having accidents cause he just doesn't bark unless playing :roll:

Buy some bitter apple spray.I also swear by this.I sprayed everything with it that I didn't want him to chew on.They cant stand the taste of it.I had tried the water bottle like you but he thought it was a game as he loves water.The one time he got hold of the computer cord for the third time and I sprayed the bitter apple right into his mouth and gave a loud NO and now all I have to do is hold the bottle and he stops what he is doing.

Even though I am home Buster is in his crate when I can not keep all eyes on him.I put in two toys which I call crate toys cause they stay in there.They are his nyla bone teething rings and his kong and when he gets board he chews on them.When he out of his crate he has a basket with his other toys such as tugs,balls and such.Switching the crate toys once in awhile also helps.

The only other thing I did was before Ilet him out I went around the house and picked up items that I knew he would go for so I pretty much doggy proofed before he was allowed to exit his crate and at times he still managed to find things to get a hold of :roll: puppies..........lol

Bitter apple
Bells

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Justice does not even go to the door or signal at all. She just squats, and goes. I've watched her like a hawk to see if she has SOMETHING that would signal potty time. Nope, she just goes. I sincerely believe it's because she was kept outside, and just went wherever.

Bitter apple doesn't work either. I think both of my dogs are too dumb to realize that it tastes disgusting. I have half a bottle at home if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bremner53 said:
Take her out every half an hour, wether you think she has to go or not, that way she will learn to go outside.
Thanks. How's the new pup?

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
"Bitter apple doesn't work either. I think both of my dogs are too dumb to realize that it tastes disgusting. I have half a bottle at home if anyone wants it."

We fostered a potbelly pig for awhile, and she would eat our carpet...bitter apple didn't work for her either...niether did cayenne pepper :shock: She would just chew and chew and chew...anyway...

I know you said she's going to the vet in the next couple of weeks...maybe have them check for a UTI. That could be the reason for the weight loss/housebreaking issue. Also, since you said she had previously been kept outside, it's going to take a long time for her to unlearn that...I think you'll just have to keep doing what you're doing (consistency, persistence) and maybe restrict her to certain areas of the house when she's not crated, so she isn't causing wide-spread damage. As far as the chewing...I think that's normal behavior for a puppy, unfortunately. Rocket will still shred things if he's allowed to get to them...no matter what they are...and he has plenty of chew toys. I had to take away a ROCK from him yesterday :roll:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Peeing and pooing.

Hmmm...sounds like this is going to be a hard one. Perhaps a doggy door is in order for her to get out on her own? Perhaps give her tons of crap and shoo her out the dog so she realizes she can go out freely..if you have a backyard fenced in of course. The chew thing...you can only keep correcting her and offering her alternatives. Odd that she pees on the carpet and poos on the floor though usually the other way around in our house THANK GOD!!!. Guess like remy and bella's mom did you may need to start letting her out more often until she gets the hang of it.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Peeing and pooing.

pitbullmaster said:
Hmmm...sounds like this is going to be a hard one. Perhaps a doggy door is in order for her to get out on her own? Perhaps give her tons of crap and shoo her out the dog so she realizes she can go out freely..if you have a backyard fenced in of course. The chew thing...you can only keep correcting her and offering her alternatives. Odd that she pees on the carpet and poos on the floor though usually the other way around in our house THANK GOD!!!. Guess like remy and bella's mom did you may need to start letting her out more often until she gets the hang of it.
We have a doggy door. Neither dog will use it. Plus, in order for them to be able to use it, we have to leave the screen door open. We didn't do it like that, the lady that we bought the house from did.

Usually when I have her out, she is restricted to the upstairs of the house(with the hard floors, easier to clean.) The bedroom doors are shut, as well as the bathroom and office doors. The only rooms she has access to are the kitchen, living room, and dining room. If I'm in the office, she is shut in there with me. I'll just have to keep working with her I guess.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I would do the potty every half hour thing and also keep her tethered to something stationary or yourself. She cannot have the run of the house AT ALL EVER until she's reliable about pottying outside!

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a little brag:
I'm so excited about this! Today, when I let them back in to the house after potty time, I said "Kennel". Now Haus knows this command, and has for a while. They both trot downstairs and go into their own kennels. By the time I got down there, they were both sitting in their own kennels waiting on me! I couldn't believe it! They both got a treat for it.

Maybe I just need some more patience with her. I realize it's unfair to expect her to be completely potty trained in 2 months. Thank goodness she's crate trained though. That is helpful. Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
HausMommy said:
Just a little brag:
I'm so excited about this! Today, when I let them back in to the house after potty time, I said "Kennel". Now Haus knows this command, and has for a while. They both trot downstairs and go into their own kennels. By the time I got down there, they were both sitting in their own kennels waiting on me! I couldn't believe it! They both got a treat for it.

Maybe I just need some more patience with her. I realize it's unfair to expect her to be completely potty trained in 2 months. Thank goodness she's crate trained though. That is helpful. Thanks for all the advice!
Aww...that's so great!!! Remy will always go to his bed on command (and will usually lie in there while I'm doing the dishes), but Bella still needs to be shoved in her crate. She absolutely hates being in there, even if we lure her with her favorite treats.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
HausMommy wrote:
Just a little brag:

Aww...that's so great!!! Remy will always go to his bed on command (and will usually lie in there while I'm doing the dishes), but Bella still needs to be shoved in her crate. She absolutely hates being in there, even if we lure her with her favorite treats.
Awww, that's good to hear Hausmomma

Leeann, when you said that I pictured Bella giving you that cute look she has, hehe!
Holly and Chapps like their crates...Chapps sometimes is stubborn though...and they DEMAND a treat once they are inside.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
ChappsnHolly said:
Leeann, when you said that I pictured Bella giving you that cute look she has, hehe!
Holly and Chapps like their crates...Chapps sometimes is stubborn though...and they DEMAND a treat once they are inside.
Haha! She usually runs and hides with her ears pinned back, like "PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE don't make me go in there!" She got one of her toes stuck in the bars of her crate when I was letting her out several months ago, and ever since then, she's seemed to be a little apprehensive about going in it. Also, her crate is the kind with a door that swings up and down rather than side to side, and when it slips out of our hands and slams closed, it freaks her out. She probably think she's in trouble when that happens. :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts