Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm thinking of getting pet insurance for nelson because his front paw points outwards when he walks and the vet did notice this as well. I checked with a pet insurance company here in australia and they do not cover "luxating patella". i know the patella is the knee but i was told that they call the dogs hind legs joints the "knee" and the front leg joints "the elbows". is this correct?

so if luxating patella only means the back legs then i think i might get the insurance incase anything happens with his front legs.

nelson does have hip displasia so i know that the pet insurance will probably never cover anything to do with his hind legs but do you think i should get the insurance just incase a problem arises with his front legs/knees?

do bulldogs have problems with their front legs? what could be the problem if his front foot twists out when he talks straight?

·
Registered
979 Posts
4NGI3 said:
Hi I'm thinking of getting pet insurance for nelson because his front paw points outwards when he walks and the vet did notice this as well. I checked with a pet insurance company here in australia and they do not cover "luxating patella". i know the patella is the knee but i was told that they call the dogs hind legs joints the "knee" and the front leg joints "the elbows". is this correct?

so if luxating patella only means the back legs then i think i might get the insurance incase anything happens with his front legs.

nelson does have hip displasia so i know that the pet insurance will probably never cover anything to do with his hind legs but do you think i should get the insurance just incase a problem arises with his front legs/knees?

do bulldogs have problems with their front legs? what could be the problem if his front foot twists out when he talks straight?
The last time I had pet insurance they didn't cover genetic problems - so things like HD, luxating patella, cow hocks, etc would not be covered. If he is not diagnosed with any of these issues then go for it.

Paula

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I would probably never get pet insurance because of all the people I've spoken to with it they say it's a waste. Even my vet says that it's probably wiser to save the money every month someplace and use it in the event that anything comes up. Though if you get your dog from a good breeder or if you adopt an adult there should be no surprises and nothing like that should come up. So maybe it's worth it to put the $50 or whatever it is away every month (in a special account or safe) and within a year you would have $600 saved. Why spend the money to an insurance to find out that his condition isn't covered? there's always small print because they don't want to pay out anything, how would they make any money?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.