Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Koda has been an awesome dog thus far...but...he has now figured out something that I can't seem to break him of, and I need some help/suggestions...

If he is in his crate and starts whining we always ignore him. It pisses him off though and he just gets louder and louder and gives you this god awful pittiful looking face like we're torturing him. If we ignore him longer than he likes, he will then pee in his crate, because he knows he'll get to get out while we give him a bath and clean his crate out!!! How can I keep him from doing this???

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Oh Legend used to do that! It pissed me off so bad! especially since I knew for sure he didnt have to go. The only thing that made him stop was while I get cleaning supplies and stuff and get towels for his bath he stood in it(which was only like a minute or 2. And he hated it!) or was taken by his collar to my other dog's empty crate and put in there. And then after his bath and everything was cleaned up out of his crate put right back in! Have you tried covering his crate?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LegendsMami said:
Oh Legend used to do that! It pissed me off so bad! especially since I knew for sure he didnt have to go. The only thing that made him stop was while I get cleaning supplies and stuff and get towels for his bath he stood in it(which was only like a minute or 2. And he hated it!) or was taken by his collar to my other dog's empty crate and put in there. And then after his bath and everything was cleaned up out of his crate put right back in! Have you tried covering his crate?
Yeah, we've been putting him back in it right after his bath, but I swear this dog is smart...he can be totally dry, but he'll sit in there and shiver and shake like he's freezing and then give you those puppy eyes, and we end up feeling sorry for him and taking him out (which I know is not the right thing to do). We can put a blanket in his crate, because he will eat it...literally...and we can't put one over it because he will put it through the holes and eat it! :shock:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
apbtgurl26 said:
Yeah, we've been putting him back in it right after his bath, but I swear this dog is smart...he can be totally dry, but he'll sit in there and shiver and shake like he's freezing and then give you those puppy eyes, and we end up feeling sorry for him and taking him out (which I know is not the right thing to do). We can put a blanket in his crate, because he will eat it...literally...and we can't put one over it because he will put it through the holes and eat it! :shock:
DO NOT i repeat DO NOT fall for the shivering!!! lol. If you dried him really well and its not cold in the house he's not cold at all. He's just trying everything in his bag of tricks to make you pay attention to him. On another thread on here someone suggested a heavy rug to put over so he can't pull it threw. Or maybe if you don't already a bone or something to chew.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LegendsMami said:
apbtgurl26 said:
DO NOT i repeat DO NOT fall for the shivering!!! lol. If you dried him really well and its not cold in the house he's not cold at all. He's just trying everything in his bag of tricks to make you pay attention to him. On another thread on here someone suggested a heavy rug to put over so he can't pull it threw. Or maybe if you don't already a bone or something to chew.
LOL...okay, I'll be strong, and not fall for his tricks! It's sad when the dog is as smart as us sometimes... :lol: I'll try the rug thing too.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Can I ask why he is in his crate while you are home? (not wanting to be rude just curious)

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kate said:
Can I ask why he is in his crate while you are home? (not wanting to be rude just curious)
I understand... Him and Shelby are extremely jealous of each other, so there are times when we can only have one out at a time to keep them from fighting. And it especially upsets him more when he sees her out - which is another reason why I think he's intentionally peeing in his crate.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Could you try having them both out at the same time if they are tethered? Say you have Koda on leash and are on the couch and your SO (or whomever) is sitting in a chair (or wherever) with Shelby onleash? So they are both out, but under control and separated? Might help some with the jelousy and "hurt feelings".

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tinkerbell said:
Could you try having them both out at the same time if they are tethered? Say you have Koda on leash and are on the couch and your SO (or whomever) is sitting in a chair (or wherever) with Shelby onleash? So they are both out, but under control and separated? Might help some with the jelousy and "hurt feelings".
That's definately a good idea! They don't get in bad fights where they hurt each other or anything. It's mainly Shelby...she was used to being the only dog for 2 years, and she's a big mama's girl, so when I try and love on her Koda will come right in between us and push her away. Which typically leads to her snapping at him to go, and it goes from there. Koda wants to be the center of attention at all times.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Did you try kicking the crate and yelling at him to shut up?

LOL j/k.

Maybe the crate is too large and that's why he pees in it. I don't think a dog will want to lay in it's own pee so if it's only large enough for him to lay down in and stretch out a bit, then he should be ok. Maybe he's whining cos he's really gotta go pee though hehe. Did you try covering the full crate with a blanket or carpet of some sort so he can't see out? Try that, it should help a lot to reduce his anxiety.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
redbull said:
Did you try kicking the crate and yelling at him to shut up?

LOL j/k.

Maybe the crate is too large and that's why he pees in it. I don't think a dog will want to lay in it's own pee so if it's only large enough for him to lay down in and stretch out a bit, then he should be ok. Maybe he's whining cos he's really gotta go pee though hehe. Did you try covering the full crate with a blanket or carpet of some sort so he can't see out? Try that, it should help a lot to reduce his anxiety.
You're cracking me up Evan! :lol: Yeah, I kick and scream at him all the time but he just doesn't take the hint! :lol:

But I will admit his crate is rather large, so dividing it off could be an option, but what would we use to divide it with? He's pretty destructable, and can chew through just about anything!

And no...I know for a fact he doesn't have to go peepee. He gets taken out very frequently, so he does it more as a way to get taken out of it.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
apbtgurl26 said:
redbull said:
what type of crate is it? wire?

can you post a pic? I can let you know what to try
Yes it's a wire crate...looks like the one below. I can post an actual pic later when I get home.

Ok, well what I did was use a thick plastic baby gate that I was able to fit in, and then made it really tight. The baby gate I used had nobs on the ends that I was able to push through the openings in my wire crate. It had a lever that when pulled, opened the gate up wider in order to create more pressure, and then you can lock it into place.

I've also used boards, and fit them through the wire sections in order to shorten up the crate. If you get them the right size/height, you won't have to worry about them being chewed.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
redbull said:
Ok, well what I did was use a thick plastic baby gate that I was able to fit in, and then made it really tight. The baby gate I used had nobs on the ends that I was able to push through the openings in my wire crate. It had a lever that when pulled, opened the gate up wider in order to create more pressure, and then you can lock it into place.

I've also used boards, and fit them through the wire sections in order to shorten up the crate. If you get them the right size/height, you won't have to worry about them being chewed.
Cool...my parents have a baby gate like this...I'll have to steal it from them & use that. Thanks for the ideas! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts