Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am after some advice.
Yemi has completed her injections now and is able to go outside for walks .............. the only problem is this won't :?
She has never been keen on going out the front (garden) and we have always had to carrier her to the car.
Knowing how she wasn't going to like it much I thought we would start with a little walk just outside the house. I took the clicker with me and loads of treats hoping it might encourage her, no luck :roll: Which is amazing as she is soooo into her food.
She did do a few steps to wards a treat in the front garden then lay down and refused to move. I coaxed her and did drag her a bit to get her to the gate where she met 3 of the neighbours who petted her and gave her a treat when she greeted them. But that was it she didn't even just sit down she lay on the floor as flat as she could get and stayed there.

So what do I do????

I thought it might be a good idea to play with her in the front garden, it is secure, to see if she likes that a bit.

Do I get her a body harness type of lead ????? to make the pulling for me less work.

Do I drag her ???? It seems a bit cruel being as she is obviously frightened (shaking like a leaf)

This is a real dilemma and I could do with some advice please.

Lesley

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Do you stop with her when she stops? If so do not do this. Keep on walking and she will have no choice but to go with you. If she starts walking properly mark the behaviour and reward her with food. Make sure she is hungry when you do this. If she has a belly full of food she obviously isn't going to be too interested in co operating.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I agree with lisa but also put her leash on her and let her drag it around in the house so she can get used to it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replays

I had another go with her a few hours later she was a fair bit better. It was awful dragging her as she was gagging for breath, poor thing. But on the second walk she obviously decided the walking was slightly better than the dragging and we did manage to get to the end of the road.
I think you are right I was stopping when she did, I think she thought she was winning the game. I stopped with the treats as she just spat them out, much to my disbelief, she just used the treat to stop and lay down again.
I walked much quicker on the last walk and she didn't have much choice but to follow. Mind I must have looked a bit of an idiot as I was repeating "good girl" in an over exaggerated way with every step she took.
Hopefully we might be getting the hang of it now.
Once again thanks for the help it's lovely having this site to ask questions :D

Nearly forgot she has been wearing her lead around the house a fair bit she bunches it up in her mouth and carries it to a quiet spot to sit down for a good chew :lol:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Bogart was the same way when he was younger. He did not like going for walks. Someone told me that some dogs are afraid to leave the security of their own yard or something like that. I kept persisting and at times I would actually pick him up and carry him down the street so he couldn't see our house. He did outgrow it and now he loves going for walks!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bogart was the same way when he was younger. He did not like going for walks. Someone told me that some dogs are afraid to leave the security of their own yard or something like that. I kept persisting and at times I would actually pick him up and carry him down the street so he couldn't see our house. He did outgrow it and now he loves going for walks!!

Thats a relief to hear, I have never had a dog which was as scared as Yemi to go out so it's good to hear that other people have had the same issue and worked it through.

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I also had this problem with sasha all i done is what Angie7349 said "put her leash on her when she was inside so she got used to it , made it so much easier :D
by the way your pup is very cute

·
Registered
269 Posts
Zeus hated walking at first too. I could have dragged him seven blocks and he wouldn't budge. I just took it slow and used special treats that were ONLY for walks. I normally just use his kibble. Find a new good treat, stand a few feet in front of her with the leash, and pull her toward the treat. Then praise her like crazy. Take two more feet back and do it again. After 2-3 start walking her on the leash and toss a few treats in front of her. Do short distances, several times a day, and keep it upbeat and she will walk in no time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update :D

Two weeks on and I can't believe there was a problem :D

Yemi loves her walks now. I only have to show her the lead and she runs to the front door :D

We have been going to the park regularly and she is really good.

We started dog training last Sunday and we are going again today. I can't wait I absolutely love it. At the moment the enphasis is more on socialization, which Yemi loves. The other bits we are doing are just simple commands like sit, stand and down which she will do anyway.
We do a recall at home Yemi either sits or lays down and I back off about 15 foot and she will stay there for may be 45 seconds and then come to me when I call her. We haven't tried this without me holding her lead outside of the garden (where she couldn't run off as it's fenced)
This is the bit that really scares me, I am going to have a go at the class today as I am hoping with all these other puppies around the worse she will do is run off to play with one of them and I will be able to catch her quick.
I have started training her in the front garden as there are a lot more distractions, cars, people walking by I also have my 5 year old play football a few feet away and most of the time she is still focused on me.

I am really proud of her progress so far. Just wanted to share this :lol:

If you have any advice please share :D

·
Super Moderator
15,961 Posts
I think you are doing a great job and so is Yemi. You are staying focused and consistant with her training and that is what is most important. Do not rush her being off lead. That usually is the last thing to train after she has learned everything else including coming to you from a 20 or 30 foot rope. There is a really good lesson on here on getting your dog to do recall, I will see if I can find it and edit it in. Good work and keep it up. :D

Edit to include: Here they are, I see the last one you have posted in but I am going to include it in here for others who may be reading and learning from this post.
:D

Training on “Recall”
http://bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?p=94284&highlight=recall#94284

Training “Drop on Recall”

http://bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?p=95054&highlight=recall#95054

Training “Corrections for not coming on Recall”

http://bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?p=92103&highlight=recall#92103

Training other commands

http://bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?p=88681&highlight=recall#88681

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Gazar I will read the posts again and again :D I am learning a great deal from this forum and can spend hours checking out old posts.

I am really excited about training Yemi and I enjoy every second of it (even when it doesn't go according to plan :lol: )

Many years ago a trainer once said to me, regarding going off lead in the park, to just take them off straight away as when they are puppies they will be scared to run away :? I've never really believed that and it scares the life out of me that Yemi will run off.

Thank you for saying I am doing a great job it means a lot. :D I really want a good under control dog.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got it wrong at the puppy classes :evil:

I have been teaching Yemi to sit and stay while I walk away from her, she stays there until I am a distance away and then I call her.

Well apparently this isn't a stay its a wait :? So it looks like I have taught her the wrong word :(

The woman at the class says a stay is when you return to them. I did think "oh for heavens sake what does it matter what name you call it" but then thinking on it when she moves up the classes I will be using different commands to everyone else.
I have taught her wait (sit there and don't move, until I say) when I put her bowl down to be fed. Also I can put a treat on the floor in front of her and she has to wait to eat it. I'm hoping now changing what I call a stay, she will accept as a wait :roll:

This poor dog, I bet she wishes she had a mommy who could make her mind up :lol:

I know it sounds silly but I find the words you teach fairly difficult as down means lay down but I also want it to mean get off the furniture, stop jumping all over me etc :lol: And thats off !!!

:banghead: You think you are an intelligent person until you start training a dog and you can't remember what word means what, especially in the heat of the moment

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
You can use "stay" if you want to. Who said you must use "wait"?

With that being said, I use niether :D , and instead use a release command ("OK") after ANY command is given to my dogs. If I tell my dogs to sit, down, heel, whatever, they are expected to continue executing that command until they are released. I find this to be much easier on me as a handler and also makes things clearer for the dog. I will never go back to using a stay command. I actually find it to be kinda useless :)

·
Super Moderator
15,961 Posts
Yemi said:
Well I got it wrong at the puppy classes :evil:

I have been teaching Yemi to sit and stay while I walk away from her, she stays there until I am a distance away and then I call her.

Well apparently this isn't a stay its a wait :? So it looks like I have taught her the wrong word :(

The woman at the class says a stay is when you return to them. I did think "oh for heavens sake what does it matter what name you call it" but then thinking on it when she moves up the classes I will be using different commands to everyone else.
I have taught her wait (sit there and don't move, until I say) when I put her bowl down to be fed. Also I can put a treat on the floor in front of her and she has to wait to eat it. I'm hoping now changing what I call a stay, she will accept as a wait :roll:

This poor dog, I bet she wishes she had a mommy who could make her mind up :lol:

I know it sounds silly but I find the words you teach fairly difficult as down means lay down but I also want it to mean get off the furniture, stop jumping all over me etc :lol: And thats off !!!

:banghead: You think you are an intelligent person until you start training a dog and you can't remember what word means what, especially in the heat of the moment

In obedience class it simplifies training if there is a different word for each action being trained and if all persons in the class use the same words for the same actions. Yemi is intelligent and can relearn a word quickly so I would not worry about it. Just make the change and stay with it as if the other never existed.
Hey, it keeps them on their toes and keeps them from getting bored.

The main thing to remember about the word "wait" is that it is a word to them, to let them know that they will take action, but not yet, they must "wait" to take action. This word keeps their anticipation up for the action.

"Stay" means hold still in place - no action coming. It releases the anticipation of something next, therefore, they are calmer while staying in place.

Any person who takes the time to train their dog properly and stays consistant is a "good mommie". Don't take that away from yourself. Good work.
:D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your reply Lisa What you say makes a lot of sense :D

The main thing to remember about the word "wait" is that it is a word to them, to let them know that they will take action, but not yet, they must "wait" to take action. This word keeps their anticipation up for the action.

"Stay" means hold still in place - no action coming. It releases the anticipation of something next, therefore, they are calmer while staying in place.
Once again you make things really easy to understand. I'd never really made the connection with the dog anticipating an action or not with these two words.
Thanks again for your help Gazar

1 - 16 of 16 Posts