Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my ex's ab is having problems with her back legs. it happened satruday. we took her to the park to play with some other dogs she played hard and no problems, but when she got home she acted like she couldnt walk on her back legs and it hurt her to sit down, by the morning she was fine, but today again the same thing after the park it happened again is it hip displasia? i felt all over her back legs, and stretched her out she didnt react to any pain so what could it be? she recovered last time after about 8 hours. help me.

andrew

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
It could be early dysplasia, I guess. I would have the vet take some x-rays. You can give glucosamine - it really helps!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My late pit had hip dysplasia which I gave glucosamine for. My vet said I could give her Kirkland Brand (Costco) Joint
Support (the bottle that shows the Xray of a human hand on it). It's for people but he said it is the same dosage and
ingredients as Cosequin DS, but it's less that 1/4 the price for a large bottle. You don't follow the human serving suggestions
though, it really depends on the size of your dog. My dog was 65 pounds, so he recommended 2 pills per day crushed. I
would still ask your vet, though if he's dishonest he might tell you not to use it and only use what he sells. :roll:

My vet is absolutely honest about things like medication, surgery, and vaccines.
That's why I love him. LOL. He paid for my pit's euthanasia AND private cremation.
I went in to pay the bill and he said, "No charge".
:D

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
My dog Chico started showing signs of hip dysplasia at 6 months of age. After running around, he would get really stiff. He would have a hard time getting up and down from sitting and laying. Also he started bunny hopping instead of running properly. We had to get x-rays and it showed that one of his legs is almost out of the socket. We started him on glucosamine/msm/chondroitin right away along with a large dose of Esther-C(4000mgs.). I get both of these at Costco. I use the Tripleflex for people, it has a really high quality rating. We've seen a lot of improvement in a short period of time.

It's very important to keep you dog lean, this helps a lot with joint problems. Also, try not to feed a lot of grains. Grain causes inflamation.

My dog isn't sensitive to the touch at all. YOu can squeeze his hips and move his legs around and he doesn't let you know he is in any pain. You really need to get an x-ray in order to get an idea of what is going on.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Chico.Heidi said:
We started him on glucosamine/msm/chondroitin right away along with a large dose of Esther-C(4000mgs.). I get both of these at Costco. I use the Tripleflex for people, it has a really high quality rating. We've seen a lot of improvement in a short period of time.

I think that's what I'm talking about above, does it have a picture of a hand X ray on it?
If so, it is and that's good stuff. I'm glad there are more honest vets out there.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so how do you deal with your do having hip displasia? doesnt it just get worse as time goes on? surgery?(not an option) whats your experience now having a dog with this problem.

andrew

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
dreamofwrx said:
so how do you deal with your do having hip displasia? doesnt it just get worse as time goes on? surgery?(not an option) whats your experience now having a dog with this problem.

andrew
Curious, why is surgery not an option?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
PitBullRoyalty said:
I think that's what I'm talking about above, does it have a picture of a hand X ray on it?
If so, it is and that's good stuff. I'm glad there are more honest vets out there.
I know the stuff you're talking about but it's not the same product. The one with the hand on it doesn't contain MSM. This is the one that I buy. http://www.tripleflex.com/

dreamofwrx said:
Basically, surgery isn't an option for Chico at this point in time. The TPO, is a surgery that is performed on puppies younger than 12 mos. of age. It needs to be done while they are still growing. This surgery is only moderatly successful with large breeds and costs about $4000. A total hip replacement is considerred the best surgical option for a large dog but it is extremely invasive and the recovery is long and there can be several complications as well. That usually runs about $5000 per hip and only one can be done one side at a time.

Hip dysplasia does worsen over time but there is so much new discovery in medicine and supplements that there are several treatments that can be done to help slow down the progression of hip dysplasia. Our first vet basically looked at Chico's x-rays and told me not to let him run, jump or play any more. THen he handed me a bottle of Rimadyl and told me to call when I needed more. After doing some research, I found out that Rimadyl causes liver failure. This freaked me out. I decided to switch vets and that was the best decision I've ever made. The new vet got me on a new diet, and told me to start exercising with Chico again. It's really important to keep the muscle tone in the rear really strong. The muscles with help hold the joint in place. Uphill walking helps to force the dogs to use their hind legs more.

The vet that I go to has a client with a 13 year old golden retreiver that was diagnosed when he was a year old. He has been foloowing the home prepped diet with supplements since the diagnoses and still jogs 3 miles every day! I consider that a great sucess. In my opinion, surgery should be considerred as a last resort. We did have to cut back on Chico's exercise in the begining but once the supplements started to kick in, he began to do fine with long walks. I try to do a 4 mile walk with him 4 times a week and a 2 mile walk the rest of the days. The only thing he can't do is a lot of full speed running and jumping. Also, you need to keep them lean. Extra weight is hard on joints.

Here are the supplements I use:
Tripleflex- two pills per day I think it's 1500/ 1200/ 800
Esther- C 4000mgs. per day (I'm working up to 5000mgs)
fish oil- 1000mgs. for 20lbs. of body weight. You can feed 1000mgs per 10lbs. of body weight for anti-inflamatory therapy
vitamin E 400 iu (fish oil prevents the body from absorbing vitamin E so extra needs to be given)

for pain, I use http://b-naturals.com/product_info.php?products_id=67
Yucca, is also helpful with pain. http://b-naturals.com/product_info.php?products_id=47

this site is amazing for info on hip dysplasia. Whoever put it together compaired products and also found some of the best prices I've found. YOu should definitly read the info if you get a chance.
http://www.dogaware.com/arthritis.html

·
Registered
704 Posts
I commend everyone who gave some great advice for hip dysplasia...just want to let the OP know that not every big dog who limps is dysplastic...there are many reasons a dog can be lame...luxating patellas (knees), ACL injuries, pinched nerves, bone chips, growing pains, etc.. without a diagnosis from your vet, there really is no way to tell for sure. No matter what the problem is, the supplements can do no harm..I advise all big dog owners to supplement for overall health.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sudden paralysis with onset of pain could also be lyme disease. What has the vet said?

Paula

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
surgery is not an option for cost reasons....neither one of us have any where close to 4000 dollars for a surgery. ill link her to this post so she can read up on it.

andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts