Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beetle said:
What a little beauty! Are they getting along okay?
Zena totally dominates her. Joon is very shy and she keeps peeing. She walks up to you and then falls tummy flat and slides closer and when you bend down to pet her she pees. What is the deal with that. She is very very submissive. She shows her tummy all the time. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hug~A~Bully said:
Beetle said:
What a little beauty! Are they getting along okay?
Zena totally dominates her. Joon is very shy and she keeps peeing. She walks up to you and then falls tummy flat and slides closer and when you bend down to pet her she pees. What is the deal with that. She is very very submissive. She shows her tummy all the time. Any thoughts?
Cute name! Joon Bug. :D

Hopefully she'll get over being overly submissive once she gets more adjusted to her new environment. I have a friend who has an Aussie female, Angel, that does the same thing. They started bringing her into work and taking her to public places to get her used to new places and people, and she started growing out of it at about 10 months. She's still super shy, and still rolls on her back (more for belly rubs than being submissive, though), and no more peeing. One thing that really helped her was bringing Odie in to play with her (he's about 6 months younger than Angel). He's really obnoxious, and wouldn't stop chasing her and jumping on her until she started playing with him. After a few play dates, she started standing up to Odie and aserting her seniority. It was like a confidence booster for her.

Joon is probably feeling really insecure right now. New homes are stressful and overwhelming for lots of puppies. I think Joon will get better with time and age. Maybe a little exposure to different environments after she's adjusted might be beneficial, too. Just my opinion, every dog is different. :D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Nikki is cute. You can see she is getting dominated by Zena. Looks like she just wants to see mom, but Zena wants to horseplay.

Nikki is such a little peanut-head in the fourth picture! :) ...or a goober as augrad would say.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Both very beatiful dogs!

I think I may be a bit confused though, your Sugar Bear right? Are you fostering Zena and Nikki at your house?

Lol, I think I missed a post.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
One thing that helps the submissive urination is by making sure no one bends over Joon (Nikki now right?). It's best to have the dog go up to people on her own because in the dog world, they exert their dominance by going over top of other dogs (mounting, putting their face over top the other dog, pawing the other dog etc etc) so when a person bends over to pet a dog, the submissive dog interprets that as an act of domination and in turn urinates as a way of saying "I am not a threat" (submission).

Another way to build confidence is by motivational first obedience training. Have her work for at least some of her meals. Obedience is a great way to build confidence, bond, as well as teaching your dog at the same time.

I would take a little different approach with the submission with the other dogs though. I would probably stop allowing the play dates and concentrate on confidence building with you and her. Sometimes if you have a very submissive dog, and you allow it play time with other dogs who may really dominate her, it could backfire and make the submission worse. She could end up of having a bad experience she will never forget. Bad experiences tend to stay in the minds of the weaker, more submissive type dogs. I would still bring her out around other dogs, but with all dogs on leash, doing obedience with play time mixed in with you, and having her focus on you rather than the other dogs.

That is just my opinion, and I am sure there are others who would disagree. Take it for what its worth.

Good luck with your new dogs!

:flower:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.