Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Suzi and I have adopted a 2 year old male neutered AMBD... His name is Buster he is heartworm positive and Will be going in for the beginning of treatment this Friday. I am curious if anyone has experienced this before. My dog has not shown signs of aggression. However, when he was at the vet they drew his blood and he turned around and bit the vet tech in the face no growls or nothing. The vet tech is going to be ok. She had to have a few stiches. I am having a behaviorist/trainer come over to asses him. However, she wont do it until the heartworm is treated. Because she said his illness could be effecting his personality. This guy is a love and wants to be pet and belly rubs.... likes kids, He does have seperation anxiety and when I leave the apt he wimpers and crys, he does not get destructive. He did nip at my friends poodle when we took them off leash. However, Buster did show signs he did not want to play. Do you think I have major problems with this dog. If someone could let me know if they have experienced any similar issues, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!!

Sorry to hear about the heartworm.I hope he makes a full recovery.I am unable to help you
with this situation but maybe one of the others here can.Best of luck with you and Buster( great name by the way :wink: )

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi..Kelly,

That is awesome!!! You have a "Buster" also..... His name was Buster when I rescued him .... and I just kept it because when I looked at his pictures... He was just a Buster....

He will be fine. He is in the stage 1 low grade/positive... It will be a long process... but he will recover from what his new vet said... I removed him from the old vets office.... When the incident happend... .he called me and was like your dog is aggressive, and you should put him down. I thought something was weird, then I received four differnt stories... from the techs ... then when I talked to the nurse... she told me what happened... and the vets story was even differnt. from what her story was.

I was sad... but it will all work out..

Buster, is great, he needs some fine tuning on the commands and working on the seperation anxiety... But, I have a great behaviorist/trainer willing to work with him.

Does, your buster.. trip out when he hears, a fed-ex or UPS truck.... ? Mine likes the drivers but does not like the sounds of the trucks....

I will try to post a pic of him... He is all white with black spots

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
:shock:

Good luck! I think you might have your work cut out for you. I hope he gets well soon. Hope to see pics, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
There is another Buster on here as well.I think we now have three or four Busters...........lol
My husband picked the name,he said he looked like he was going to be a Buster and well that's were he got his name.
No, Buster doesn't go nuts with trucks or anything like that.Now my Dalmation she goes nuts when she hears the trash truck :roll:

Very scary incident you had at the vet.Glad you found out what really took place and moved on to a new vet.I would just let the new vet know that he may be a fear bitter so they can muzzle him.Just to prevent anything from happening again.

I would get a crate to help with some of his behavior issues.I used one for my dalmation up until she was about 2 and she no longer needs one and Buster was introduced to a crate when we brought him home at 6 weeks.He is now 15 weeks and Is now crate trained.Works wonders.

Oh,if you have any questions about the heart worms you may want to post something in the health area.You may get a better response.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kelly

Hi..ya,

I did disclose the information to the new vet..... and we had a nice long talk.... so, she made me feel very comfortable. She was reffered to me from my friend who has a purebred rot and a rot/akita mix.... so, I feel comfortable.

He is crate trained... however, I think I spoiled him to much now he is too smart, and I have to pick him up and push him in... ha,ha... The trainer wendy said we will work all these little quirks out... He is great on the leash no pulling and lunging at things... Loves people and being pet by kids.... No problem with food aggression... he doesn't even grap treats out of your hand... He doesnt shake his chew toys.... only once in a while. He does sleep in my bed with me.... I think that was a big mistake on my part... I couldn't resist..... you know too well that cute little face.... :)-

I think deep down in my heart, he needs to be fine tuned.... However, I will wait and see what the trainer/behaviorist tells me.... She is going to do a assesment test on him after he is treated for the HW....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lisa

Thanks for welcoming me to the board.... I appreciate it.... :D I hope everyone is having a great morning so far.... Buster is crashed out....

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Seems as though you are doing all the right things.I think its great that you rescued Buster.
Keep us posted on the HW and you must post some pictures in the photo section for us to see :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi..ya Kelly!!

Thank you, your Buster is adorable also,,.. I think our Buster could be family.. hahahha when my Buster has his ears up and perked it is so cute... How did you put your banner together if you dont mind me asking? :?:

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Welcome :)

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
There's a thread for banner requests. If you post a few photos there, someone will be glad to make you one. :D

I've been through heartworm treatment before, with one of my foster dogs. We did the two shots, 24 hours apart, then rest for a MONTH! Poor girl - those shots hurt so bad and made her feel lousy. She then spent most of her time in her crate for the next month. I could only let her out in the yard when the other dogs were all in, and then only with a leash. She got so restless that she would take off running around the yard like a crazy woman (otherwise known as the "zoomies"), and I would have to step on the leash to stop her, then take her back inside. It was rough, but we got through it just fine. :D

Good luck with your Buster. :D

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Re: Hi..ya Kelly!!

Suzanna04 said:
Thank you, your Buster is adorable also,,.. I think our Buster could be family.. hahahha when my Buster has his ears up and perked it is so cute... How did you put your banner together if you dont mind me asking? :?:
Thank you too.........LOL
As for the banner there is request section over in the General area at the top.Just post some pictures and the name and what colors you would like and someone will make you one although it is a bit full at the moment and it takes time to make but they will get to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts