Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I have a english bulldog I think is around 4-5 yrs old. We adopted him on sept 11 04 and have loved him ever sence. The problem is everything we read says he should be only about 50-60lbs. Well he weights around 90lbs. When we got him he was down to around 50lbs and look like skin and bones. He looks very heathy right now. Is this normal for most and the standard is low? We dont plan on showing him and never have, he is just a family pet. I would just like to know for myself. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, first post here.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Maybe you could post a pictures of your dog, that would help to determine if he's out of standard or not. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I'll try.

What do you think I just measured him and hes 19" at the shoulders just behind the neck and 24" at the top of his head with it up. I cant get a true weight on him because our scale wont read him and me at the same time ( I am 220lbs) and he wont stay still, or fit on the scale.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Well, I don't have much experience with EB's. There are a couple on here, so maybe one of those owners could help you! Cute dog though!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks anyways. I know there not the best pics I scaned in a couple I had sitting around. It really doesnt mater if hes a mix, hes a great dog and lots of fun. And hes one of the biggest babies I have ever seen, he still thinks hes a lap dog at over 90lbs.

·
Registered
914 Posts
what a cutie. Even though it sounds heavy. From what i can see he dont look to heavy. But dont go by me i dont know that much about it yet. Gordy is still a puppy.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My EB is 9 months old and last time I weighed him he was 63 lbs.. Last time he was at the vets they did not feel he was over weight but I should start watching it since he got fixed. I think he's at the point now where I will start cutting back on his food. I know he is more than 63 now and he looks great. But I don't want him to be overweight and unhealthy.

I too can't understand the 50-60 lb they say should be the norm. But I guess at a little over 63 lbs I think Bear doesn't need to gain anymore weight.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Tinkerbell weighs about 70 pounds. I think she looks a little heavy in the waist, but the vet says for now she is fine. I was looking online and I came across this great site with some good information. On the site, there is a page for the english bull standards. http://www.bulldoginformation.com/standarduk.html It says that the bulldog standard never mentions measurment, nor minimum or maximum sizes, but rather how the dog is proportioned.

I wouldn't be too worried about how much your EB weighs, but rather that he is healthy. Not too fat, not too thin.

I love the face markings on your boy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, he's a great guy and liek I said he acts like a puppy sometimes and thinks hes a lap dog. Right now hes trying to get in my lap as I type this. Well gota go. I'll check in whenever I can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts