Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys! I have a 10 month old Staffordshire Bull Terrier and he's great fun! We dont crate train him, he's really well toilet trained but we have a few problems with him. First of all, he whines all the time! Not howling but he does it all the time! Playing/distracting works for a short time but then he does it again.

He is also really picky with food. He only eats like twice a week! I've tried the usual tricks but it makes no difference! He refuses to eat any dog food, the only thing he will eat is chicken and even then he only eats it when HE wants to.

And finally, he really pulls on his lead. We have a harness which makes no difference and I dont like the idea of those collars.

Can anyone offer any advice? :(

·
Registered
208 Posts
I can't really help with the whining besides just correcting the behavior when he does it.

As for eating, it sounds to me like he isn't getting worked hard enough? How many walks are you providing him and for how long? Are you only feeding him after he has "earned" it?

I know that Lucy was a pretty hit or miss eater. She would nibble on food. Then we added a backpack to her walks and put about 5lbs in it to start out. She loves the backpack and working. She also eats more food per sitting.

Do not use a harness for the pulling problem. You end up fighting with the strongest part of the dogs body. You have a couple of options, a prong collar, choke chain, regular collar.

I use a regular collar with my dogs. I pull it high up on the neck and keep it lifted on their necks. Anytime they try to move in front I correct them. It simply gets their attention.

Another method is go to an open field. Everytime your dog gets in front of you, turn around and walk the opposite direction. He will eventually learn that he has to go where you want to not where he wants to.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
In what situations does he whine? When you're not home? When you're asking him to do something? .......

If all he will eat is raw meat, try using a raw diet. If that isn't practical for you, try a few different kinds of kibble and see if you can find one he likes. My guys really like the taste of Natural Balance duck and potato and of Authority Harvest Baked. Do you leave the food down for him all the time, or just put it down for a while then take it away?

Those collars really aren't as mideival as they look. They are painless and quite effective. Put one around your leg and give it a good yank - you will see that it doesn't hurt. If they still make you uneasy, they make little plastic tips you can put on the prongs.

Good luck. Let us know how you're getting on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. The whining is only when we are home (as far as I know!) I thought it was for attention but it appears not, he does it regardless. I've tried telling him off, ignoring him and distracting him but he's still doing it. The vet said he was horny and could smell a bitch on heat in the area but its been going on for a few months now.

Regarding the walks, he gets half an hour in the morning, then a walk around the block at lunchtime and then 40 mins to an hour at night. At weekends he gets a really long walk to the park, the only difference that makes is the long weekend walks make him slep when he gets in. I suppose it could be because he's not going out long enough, we dont have an enclosed garden so he doesn't get to go out there...... :idea:

I will try just walking him on his collar only, I try to change the directions of his walk which he responds well to so I'll give the collar a try. Thank you! 8)

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Oooooh - an intact male will drive you INSANE if there are bitches in heat anywhere near. It's probably not just one bitch, but one after another. One way to fix that problem. :wink: :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gentle leads not so gentle on thier spine!

unless you like the workout or need one, the gentle lead is a good option, the dog is powerless with it on
I am not anybody special but I believe that gentle leads are good but they can cause spinal problems in your dog. I'm not sure but I thought that is what I read. [/quote]

·
Registered
704 Posts
The food issue is an easy one to solve. I take it from the sound of your post, that you leave food out for him all the time or offer him multiple choices? I do not recommend free feeding as this leads to finicky eaters. What you need to do is to offer him a premium kibble or raw.. allow him 5-10 minutes max to eat it..if he doesn't, put it away. Offer it again at his next feeding and repeat the process over... I have seen dogs go up to 4-5 days without eating..do not be alarmed..a dog will not starve themselves. Once he realizes that he can only eat what you offer when you offer it, he will start eating and stop being picky, guaranteed.

Currently if he is eating only what's good to him, but not for him, he is harming himself..a dog cannot get all the nutrition he needs from a peice of chicken (especially if it's cooked) Read up on the raw or BARF diets if you want to go that route, otherwise feed him a good quality kibble. Follow the instructions I gave you, and your food problem should be solved.

I do agree that he needs more excercise and he would probably whine less and eat more if he were being worked out.

" a good bulldog is a tired bulldog"

As far as pulling on the leash.... have you done any obedience classes with him? If not, I recommend you do so..if you have, then I would say try another or start working him in OB at your home without distractions to start. I suggest a flat collar or a prong..choke collars should not be used on pulling dogs as they can crush thier trachea. Prong collars are very effective when used correctly..they put even pressure on the dogs neck and are very safe when used appropriately..they do not cause pain..I have tried them on myself before. Please find a trainer who can show you how to properly set a collar on your dog..you want it to be just below the dogs chin at the highest point of the neck and also sized correctly. With some time and work on your part you can have a wonderfully obediant dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Carrie,

We dont leave food down all the time, and we did try the leave it down for 5 minutes and then pick it up and it didn't seem to work. After 5 days he still wasn't eating and seemed really unhappy so we put some chicken down, I guess if we try again and just hang on a little bit longer it might be more successful. I've taken him to the vet about it too because I am aware that its not healthy but she didn't know what to suggest. It'll be great if we can get it to work as its proving pretty expensive!!

I will definatley try and make sure his evening walks are longer for him, hopefully we will get an enclosed garden in a years time but in the meantime we need tomake up for that I suppose.

We haven't done any professional classes with him but I have spent a lot of time researching training and the majority of what I've taught him has worked wonders, walking him becomes a problem because he loves fuss and being outside which is why he pulls- so actually thats related to the whining isn't it?!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try this

My 2 year old pit really gave me hell when I walked him because he pulled so hard. I finally gave in and got a pinch collar or a german collar. They are not cruel. They are wonderful. He listens better and it honestly doesn't hurt him, he never cried when I pinched him. They are flat prongs, not sharp points. He is dog aggressive at times to so it really helped to control the situation. They aren't mean honest. I wouldn't use it if it hurt him at all, it just give him a little pinch that makes him move out of a bad situation. As for the whinning, i'm not quiet sure on that one, my opinion he's bored and wants more attention. Not saying anything against you, but i have seen it before. My dog was very picky too, the only dog food he will eat is kibbles and bits, and as long as you exercise him he won't get over weight. I hope I helped and seriously think about the pinch collar, it really is a lifesaver for the both of you. Because of it, he walks better, i don't have to pinch him anymore he walks beautiful and I was able to train him better and he can't wait for me to put it on so we can walk. He brings the collar and leash to me. That's says something there. Let me know how it works out for you. need anything let me know.

Dani

·
Registered
136 Posts
My staffy is dog aggressive and a trainer we saw just started her on a prong collar as the first step towards training her. The difference after 2 days is remarkable.
It's well worth seeing a professional trainer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your advice, I have been walking him on his collar rather than his harness and he walks LOADS better!

Also, longer walks seems to have helped the whining.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts